Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2008, 20:10   #1
Senior - BHPian

Does overuse of Handbrake cause wear?

Mods: If you feel this is answered somewhere else, pls do delete it. I searched and found some posts on Handbrakes but nothing on the query which I have.

The road which I travel has lots of flyovers with full traffic during rush hour. Now during such bumper to bumper traffic on flyover, I need to use handbrakes so that the car doesnt go back.

Though this is Ok to drive, I am concerned if excessive usage of handbrakes causes any wear n tear and measures to check it?

Hopefully ppl here will be able to let me know.

I have also seen posts on where the brakes are controlled for hand brakes, front or rear wheels? Though it seems like it is controlled for rear wheels.
Old 10th December 2008, 20:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

usage of handbrake will of course cause wear and tear - to the brakes ( which is but natural right ? )

i can't think of any other damage that usage of handbrake can cause
Old 10th December 2008, 20:33   #3
Senior - BHPian

Don't use it as an alternative to the pedal. ie. Don't use it to reduce speed.
And you shouldn't have abnormal wear of the brake shoes.
Old 10th December 2008, 22:09   #4
rippergeo

And dont use it to help you go around corners in style
That just eats up the brake shoes, the rear tyres and also wrecks the rear suspension. You might also need to shell out on bodywork if you misjudge things
  (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2008, 23:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Mods: If you feel this is answered somewhere else, pls do delete it. I searched and found some posts on Handbrakes but nothing on the query which I have.

The road which I travel has lots of flyovers with full traffic during rush hour. Now during such bumper to bumper traffic on flyover, I need to use handbrakes so that the car doesnt go back.

Though this is Ok to drive, I am concerned if excessive usage of handbrakes causes any wear n tear and measures to check it?

Hopefully ppl here will be able to let me know.

I have also seen posts on where the brakes are controlled for hand brakes, front or rear wheels? Though it seems like it is controlled for rear wheels.
Yes, handbrake operates on rear wheels. Do not worry about excessive usage, just get them checked and adjusted as part of your general service(ask your service advisor to pay special attention) - that's all.
Old 10th December 2008, 23:07   #6
Senior - BHPian

using handbrakes during such traffic is not the right thing to do. use the half-clutch method. however, dont stall your car on half clutch, you will burn your clutch this way. just release the clutch and the brakes simultaneously in a way that the car does not go back.
Old 11th December 2008, 00:45   #7
Senior - BHPian

For sure its not the right thing to do. But I dont tknow where this half clutch method has come from. I'd never use it. A clutch is ment to be engaged or disengaged... the middle stages are not supposed to be 'extended' for using this way!

What I do, and whats the correct way to do (very fast) is to release the brake and release the clutch much faster than normal. The car will likely go back a very short distance, depending on the gradient, but almost always there is sufficient margin between cars to take care of that.
Raccoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2008, 01:15   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
For sure its not the right thing to do. But I dont tknow where this half clutch method has come from. I'd never use it. A clutch is ment to be engaged or disengaged... the middle stages are not supposed to be 'extended' for using this way!

What I do, and whats the correct way to do (very fast) is to release the brake and release the clutch much faster than normal. The car will likely go back a very short distance, depending on the gradient, but almost always there is sufficient margin between cars to take care of that.
This is why one needs to learn the heel & toe technique!!!
Old 11th December 2008, 01:34   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
using handbrakes during such traffic is not the right thing to do.
And pray tell us Sir, where did you acquire this pearl of wisdom?
Old 11th December 2008, 09:05   #10
BHPian

Quote:
using handbrakes during such traffic is not the right thing to do. use the half-clutch method. however, dont stall your car on half clutch, you will burn your clutch this way. just release the clutch and the brakes simultaneously in a way that the car does not go back.
This is surprising. When I was a new driver, someone tried to tell me the same thing, but this sounded so illogical even to me newbie mind. Half Clutch and Accelerator means that the clutch is getting screwed, and maintaining a high RPM in stalled position means that FE is going for a toss.

Either use the Pedal brake or Hand Brake.
Old 11th December 2008, 09:11   #11
BHPian

Quote:
using handbrakes during such traffic is not the right thing to do.
I have heard lot of people advising me to use Hand brakes in such cases! As half clutch method would but more strain on Cluch.
Old 11th December 2008, 09:16   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
using handbrakes during such traffic is not the right thing to do. use the half-clutch method.
Your Clutch plates dont last long, do they?

I have been using the handbrake method for as long as I can remember, and none of the cars have made me spend moolah on repairing the handbrake... yet.
Old 11th December 2008, 09:23   #13
BHPian

Good morning guys. In my opinion using half clutch is the worst idea, as its going to definitely screw your clutch set. Use handbrakes while the car is at zero speed and nothing will happen. We all do it.
@joydeb: Heel & toe? while u are in a traffic stop ??Brother that technique is used during high speed turns and while downshifting,so that you dont loose power during a turn.
Old 11th December 2008, 09:34   #14
Team-BHP Support

Using hand barkes to hold the car on incline will have very minimal wear and tear of the brake pads. Brake pads worn out due to regular braking ie to bring down the speed of the car, and one will have to adjust the hand brake setting occasionally.

Though dont use hand brake to slow down since that will put undue load on rear brakes instead of all four.

Use hand brake to hold on incline and release as soon as you disengage clutch to move, half clutch is NOT advised, if you are bothered with the health of the clutch. Also while going down inclines at snail pace, if possible use engine brake to avoid undue braking, always keep a safe distance and practice smooth drive off, this will help to reduce the wear and tear.

Ignore the honkings and enjoy your drive
Old 11th December 2008, 09:45   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Using hand barkes to hold the car on incline will have very minimal wear and tear of the brake pads. Brake pads worn out due to regular braking ie to bring down the speed of the car, and one will have to adjust the hand brake setting occasionally.

Ignore the honkings and enjoy your drive
Hey Guys, thanks a lot for the inputs. I generally, use handbrake after stopping the car to a standstill. While moving forward, release clutch and apply throttle then the car goes a little up (but is held back by handbrake) then release the handbrake.
I was concerned on the pressure on handbrakes during these 3-5 secs happening everytime I move ahead (snails pace).

Will get it checked at service center as I am seeing that the car still goes back when ONLY on handbrake (so have to apply pedal brakes as well)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks