Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2018, 06:44   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: 8 Scorpio mHawks stolen-immobilizer codes cracked!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
If this is plugged into the car OBD2 port, won't it be very easily noticed by the thief and unplugged?
The one I have posted is the same thing (not an OBD port device) except for the smaller built in battery. You should have this device powered from the car battery and place it in a concealed spot where it cannot be easily spotted. GPS signals can travel through plastics, so placing the device somewhere in the dashboard cavity would be good.
There are more advanced devices that allow remote fuel cut-off or ignition cut etc...

Last edited by anupmathur : 21st October 2018 at 06:45.
anupmathur is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st October 2018, 08:29   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
The one I have posted is the same thing (not an OBD port device) except for the smaller built in battery. You should have this device powered from the car battery and place it in a concealed spot where it cannot be easily spotted. GPS signals can travel through plastics, so placing the device somewhere in the dashboard cavity would be good.
There are more advanced devices that allow remote fuel cut-off or ignition cut etc...
The remote ignition cut off ones such as the Sam GPS you posted have a clarification in their Amazon Answers that say keyless start cars aren't supported for remote ignition cutoff. And the first thing these chaps do is look for additional devices powered from the battery, so a long lasting charge eg 50k mAH type device is far better, which can be charged from the cigarette lighter periodically, and the cable disconnected when the car is parked.
Old 21st October 2018, 09:33   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... And the first thing these chaps do is look for additional devices powered from the battery, so a long lasting charge eg 50k mAH type device is far better, ....
There are many points in a car that have battery voltage always available, e.g. door switches, cabin lights etc... A connection taken from these (concealed behind panels) to power the tracker will be impossible for a thief to discover.
No obvious connection needs to be taken from the battery terminals in the engine bay of the car.
Old 21st October 2018, 09:35   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

My cars are petrol engined & not the target of car thieves but one can never be too sure. I am very seriously considering buying a GPS tracker and a dashcam for each vehicle. The biggest drawback of this solution for me is the lack of an iOS app. Will have to use one of my old Androids.

The SAM GPS Security Mini seems to be compatible with keyless start systems.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 19:06   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

Just saw the thread now. Extremely sorry to hear about the theft. I sincerely hope things go your way.

If I may ask, how exactly did you proceed with the FIR and further take the matter up with the insurance companies? Also, what is the response from the Insurance company and police?

That said - A GPS tracker is absolutely useful for cars that are prone to get stolen. A normal one hidden anywhere in the engine bay will do. No need for ones which can shut off the engine and stuff.

Last edited by dhanushs : 22nd October 2018 at 19:08.
Old 22nd October 2018, 19:30   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
If I may ask, how exactly did you proceed with the FIR and further take the matter up with the insurance companies? Also, what is the response from the Insurance company and police?
There are plenty of tbhp threads on stolen vehicles and what to do, but in brief -

Check around the neighborhood and then complain at the police station.

The first thing they'll do is get footage from nearby cameras.

Then, after several questions (often the same questions asked multiple ways by multiple different officers at random times of the day - probably a test) they'll finally sit you down with a writer and help you draft the complaint narration - generally in legalistic Tamil in Chennai, Marathi, Telugu etc in the respective states. So you had better speak the local language, it becomes an invaluable aid in this situation.

The FIR will then be registered into their system u/s 379 IPC ("Punishment for theft") and a copy given to you. Keep it carefully, you'll need it.

As soon as you've left the police station, let your insurer know. They will register a claim and then despatch an investigator who will go through the matter, and collect a variety of things from you.

1. The vehicle's original keys and RC
2. Claim form filled out and signed
3. FIR xerox
4. PAN / Aadhaar
5. Indemnity letter
6. RTO transfer paperwork (form 29/30 etc)
7. A letter you'll need to give the RTO to declare your car is stolen (sample here - fill in the relevant details and the name of your insurer) https://www.scribd.com/doc/218425367...-vehicle-theft
8. Cancelled cheque and NEFT mandate form

Maybe a few other odds and ends of paperwork, whatever is requested.

After this the investigator will carry out a parallel investigation with his own sources as to where your vehicle is. The cops will meanwhile check whatever leads they have such as tracing camera footage, checking whether someone at a garage, car wash etc you have recently used cloned the keys etc.

If they find the car - you'll need to get a release order from the police and then the court. And then the insurer will probably pay some amount out of what it will cost you to patch it up, replace all the stripped out accessories etc. So you had better pray the car ISNT found.

If the car isn't found in say a couple of months (or more, depends on the police, and depends on how much pull you have I guess) you will need to get a Vehicle Not Traceable certificate from the police and then the courts. Some states call it a "khatma" report / closure report. Anyway the vehicle is declared to be untraceable and you get this certificate.

You'll need a lawyer to do the running around the courts for this paperwork, so find one. The cops will probably just happen to know a good guy who can help, surprise surprise ..

Submit either the release order or the vehicle not found certificate to the insurer and they'll then process your claim. If the vehicle has been found, take it to the nearest dealer where you have cashless service and then try to get the insurer to pay as much of it as possible.

You might find that your policy might not cover odds and ends of stuff left in the car (USB charger and phone cables, tennis racquets and such), and only a nominal amount for all the expensive sound system etc you've had installed if any. And the car repairs themselves are likely to be extensive as the vehicle will probably be clumsily repainted, certainly be badly abused, mirrors / tyres stolen and changed out etc. So yeah, pray that your favorite ride isn't found.

Last edited by hserus : 22nd October 2018 at 19:32.
hserus is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 19:56   #157
BHPian

Quote:
So you had better pray the car ISNT found.
After reading your entire ordeal I was reminded of a similar case which I heard in a senior advocate chamber. The Police officer there was getting a case made against a group of car thieves who had the modus operandi of transporting stolen vehicle in closed container lorry to a garage in remote location. Once there, they would waste no time but cut the entire vehicle into bits & panels using gas cutters. Fast & Clean cuts so that all panels, doors, engine, axles, chassis are all easily dismantled & sent to various locations for black market sales.

I think you will find solace in letting it go & getting a better secure vehicle @hserus. No words will soothe your pain, but I m extremely sorry.
prithm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2018, 06:49   #158
Senior - BHPian

This crook is an amateur, whoever he is. Didn't even remove the fastag - and I guess he's been avoiding tolls, but went past one in Bangalore Rural, near Nelamangala on the Bangalore - Pune highway.

Paid Rs. 20 for vehicle reg. no 'TN07CA7945' at Kulumapalya toll plaza on 2018-10-23T02:32:50. For future reference toll txn Id: 0020181023023945072RP.
hserus is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2018, 07:15   #159
BHPian

Quote:
This crook is an amateur, whoever he is. Didn't even remove the fastag - and I guess he's been avoiding tolls, but went past one in Bangalore Rural, near Nelamangala on the Bangalore - Pune highway.
Correct me if I am wrong here. Fastag is only available on dedicated lanes at toll booths, no? If you go through a non-fastag lane, will it register? He probably doesn't know about fastag and has probably used other toll booths and paid in cash. This particular toll that he went past must have been one that has both fastag and non-fastag on the same lane. May be not too many lanes at this toll.

Therefore, this could mean that he has no idea about fastag and that the car he is driving has one fitted. But for it to work again, he has to pass through a similar toll booth.

What I mean to say is that he may have not necessarily avoided toll booths. He could have paid in cash and used tolls further down this highway and you could check this out, if you have the means to do so. However, I am sure he is using a different number plate now.

Last edited by SCORPION : 23rd October 2018 at 07:17.
SCORPION is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2018, 07:19   #160
BHPian

Quote:

Paid Rs. 20 for vehicle reg. no 'TN07CA7945' at Kulumapalya toll plaza on 2018-10-23T02:32:50. For future reference toll txn Id: 0020181023023945072RP.
Can Fastag be notified about this vehicle so that they can black list it and wait for it to arrive at any of their toll gates so that they can impound it and alert local Police ?

They sure do make a fuss when I don't have enough balance in my tag and send repeated message to get my tag topped up.
prithm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2018, 07:21   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
Correct me if I am wrong here. Fastag is only available on dedicated lanes at toll booths, no? If you go through a non-fastag lane, will it register? He probably doesn't know about fastag and has probably used other toll booths and paid in cash. This particular toll that he went past must have been one that has both fastag and non-fastag on the same lane. May be not too many lanes at this toll.
See - if there is a dedicated fastag lane he will use other lanes that are not tagged fastag only. However even if he uses a neighbouring lane, as the tag uses RFID technology, if the reader mounted in the fastag lane picks up a signal from the tag (eg: if he used the lane next to the fastag one), it will trigger a tag payment.

Quote:
See - if there is a dedicated fastag lane he will use other lanes that are not tagged fastag only. However even if he uses a neighbouring lane, as the tag uses RFID technology, if the reader mounted in the fastag lane picks up a signal from the tag (eg: if he used the lane next to the fastag one), it will trigger a tag payment.
Fastag support - "Sir please call the police"

Fastag central complaints (run by the transport ministry, dial 1033 all over India) - "Sir please call the police"

Police control room in Bangalore - "Sir, please contact the police station where you filed the FIR and have the concerned inspector call us"

I'll go to the station now I guess.

Last edited by hserus : 23rd October 2018 at 07:29.
hserus is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2018, 08:33   #162
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If the car isn't found in say a couple of months (or more, depends on the police, and depends on how much pull you have I guess) you will need to get a Vehicle Not Traceable certificate from the police and then the courts.
Post a 90 day window, depends on either your influence or money, the cops will handover the *car not found* letter.

Police is reluctant to hand over this as this is shameful for them and it goes on record that a certain police station can not recover a stolen vehicle.
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2018, 08:48   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Post a 90 day window, depends on either your influence or money, the cops will handover the *car not found* letter.

Police is reluctant to hand over this as this is shameful for them and it goes on record that a certain police station can not recover a stolen vehicle.
Influence is something I'm not short of thanks to various retired government official relatives, neighbors etc.

Money? Well, I am aware some chai pani at hopefully less than lapsang slouching and Evian levels will come into the picture so let's see. The fine art of negotiation comes into play convincing them I'm not as rich as they think I am.

That said, I'm being adviced not to buy another car for the next several weeks as it might convince the cops to ratchet up the demanded chai pani.

While it makes perfect sense it is also a huge nuisance because I need a car for my regular office commutes from Chennai to Bangalore and my wife needs a car here for dropping the kids, going about her other activities etc.

If any Chennai BHPian reading this knows of a used SUV or say a Hexa please pm (I've seen the ones on OLX and tbhp classifieds which is mostly dealer listings for chennai, so far, bhpian owned would be great though).
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2018, 09:49   #164
Senior - BHPian

Talk to the Chennai police pronto and have them contact Bengaluru police from the Neelamangala locality ASAP. We have the time stamp which is roughly around 2 AM, so if CCTV visuals are checked around that time for all lanes, we would know what plates he is using now.

So for Chennai to Bangalore, the fellow has certainly not passed through the toll gates, because Krishnagiri and Attibele have Fastag in all lanes activated.

Also to get to Neelamangala, guy should have taken either NICE road or city interior roads, either which could provide you CCTV footage again. Blue being a rare color on the Scorpio again to the rescue.

This particular Fastag transaction could actually be an accident working in your favour. All the best.
DRIV3R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2018, 11:04   #165
Senior - BHPian

It might be headed to Pune / Mumbai so the police have alerted control rooms in Mumbai and Bangalore.
hserus is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed