Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2008, 01:14   #16
BHPian

change in viscosity

Please note that oil changes viscosity as its used in the crankcase as the lighter fractions evaporate with use and heat.
Very few cars can use Sae50 grade oil one example I can think of is the Padmini. All other cars use sae40 and below.
I am not venturing as to how many days it takes to thicken and by how much but it does thicken and about that I am sure.

One more aspect to consider is that the main crank shaft is dipped in oil accumulating in the oil pan.

Might as well sell the oil to the TAXI fellows than use it in your car how much ever you dislike it. Even though I hate my Junkindica I give it the best mineral oils for its diet and its diet is humongous. It presently consumes 1 ml of engine oil for every 1km. With ordinary oil including the best from Castrol it consumes 1.8ml per 1km and with the best that ELF has to offer it consumes 1ml per 1km.
Old 16th December 2008, 11:01   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangerintown View Post
. If you dislike your old car so much, you should really just get rid of it instead of subjecting it to such indignities!

Anyway, I wouldt do it if I were you. Any car I have, old or new, would get the same loving maintenance in the engine department at the very least.
Could not agree more.Any car engine should not be treated in such an indifferent manner.Maybe at the most you could use a less expensive brand for your secondary car but never used engine oil.If you tried to do that here is what the engine will silently be feeling :
Old 16th December 2008, 11:16   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
How does this add to pollution? In fact, it might be the reverse - they are using less oil which would be MORE eco friendly (tho they would be shortening their engine life by overusing the oil, but thats another issue). Didn't quite get the logic of that?!
My Hypothesis with no attempt to prove whatsoever : Engine with insufficient lubrication is bound to have more friction so will burn more fuel and emission will be higher so not only engine life is shortened but pollution is also increased if oil is used beyond it's life thus I see too frequent oil changes and using oil beyond life both as eco-unfriendly.

In case the above hypothesis has some flaws please highlight them I would like to be educated on the same.
Old 16th December 2008, 12:11   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
It presently consumes 1 ml of engine oil for every 1km. With ordinary oil including the best from Castrol it consumes 1.8ml per 1km and with the best that ELF has to offer it consumes 1ml per 1km.
Your Indica probably consumes less diesel than it would otherwise have!
Surely there is some calorific value in engine oils too!
Old 16th December 2008, 15:58   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
My Hypothesis with no attempt to prove whatsoever : Engine with insufficient lubrication is bound to have more friction so will burn more fuel and emission will be higher so not only engine life is shortened but pollution is also increased if oil is used beyond it's life thus I see too frequent oil changes and using oil beyond life both as eco-unfriendly.

In case the above hypothesis has some flaws please highlight them I would like to be educated on the same.
Have not done or read any tests to prove this, but I'm inclined to think that using engine oil beyond its recommened life would be better from ecology perspective, because I really doubt that engine friction (with overused oil) will go up to such an extent so as to consume significantly extra fuel. I really dont think the impact caused by the bit of extra fuel used can be compared to the impact caused by the v toxic motor oil generated. I'm assuming that the oil is used, say 20 - 40% beyond its recommened life... no telling what will happen if the oil is used indefinitely.
Old 23rd December 2008, 18:35   #21
BHPian

Thank you for amply humiliating me on this board. One gentleman even seems to have linked my query with economic downturn.. which I find particularly funny. Anyone who owns 2 cars (or even one bike) can comfortably afford a can of oil. My purpose was only to try to be a bit greener.

Our motherly love for our cars sometimes turns us into worried parents who rush to a doctor at the first sneezing of their child. Indeed, the 5000 kms oil change interval has its own factor of safety of at least 2, which means you can comfortably run a car for 10K kms - This is straight from the Horse's mouth - a TATA engineer who has significantly contributed to the re-engineering of Indica in 2002-06. (I have a feeling that this is gonna take this thread into pro-TATA/ anti-TATA direction).

The point is - 3000 kms old oil isn't too bad I'm only curious to know whether it would be compatible with a diff. model.

Quote:
I really doubt that engine friction (with overused oil) will go up to such an extent so as to consume significantly extra fuel.
Thanks for understanding. I guess my 'dream' chart is hard to come by.

Last edited by amu1983 : 23rd December 2008 at 18:37.
Old 24th December 2008, 10:45   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amu1983 View Post
Thank you for amply humiliating me on this board. One gentleman even seems to have linked my query with economic downturn.. which I find particularly funny. Anyone who owns 2 cars (or even one bike) can comfortably afford a can of oil. My purpose was only to try to be a bit greener.
I fully understood the intention please read my first response again. No need to be humiliated this is just a board

Quote:
Originally Posted by amu1983 View Post
I guess my 'dream' chart is hard to come by.
Any kind of chart is difficult to prepare becuase new version / generation / variation of same brand and model with a different engine can have different engine oil specification.
Also it is not required you just need to open user manual of both cars and check the specified grade of Engine oil to be used.

Quote:
Have not done or read any tests to prove this, but I'm inclined to think that using engine oil beyond its recommened life would be better from ecology perspective, because I really doubt that engine friction (with overused oil) will go up to such an extent so as to consume significantly extra fuel. I really dont think the impact caused by the bit of extra fuel used can be compared to the impact caused by the v toxic motor oil generated. I'm assuming that the oil is used, say 20 - 40% beyond its recommened life... no telling what will happen if the oil is used indefinitely.

Well as I said i did not attempt to prove any thing but using oil beyond its life means increase in viscosity and also friction which implies fuel consumption now if you want to prove that this is wrong you can happily experiment with your car. Apart from fuel consumption manufacturing stages of engine parts consume energy ( Mining -> refining -> Alloy ingot prepration -> Manufacturing Ingots / longs /flats -> Casting /forging -> Milling/ Machining -> Finishing -> Case hardening -> Packaging -> Transport etc. ) thus unnecessary wear n tear and replacement cycles are also eco unfriendly so overall use of engine oil beyond life is not a green option overall.

Last edited by amitk26 : 24th December 2008 at 10:46.
Old 24th December 2008, 11:58   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amu1983
The point is - 3000 kms old oil isn't too bad
Since you're so sure about it, you can go ahead and fill your zen with the oil from Indica's sump.
Old 26th December 2008, 00:10   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Apart from fuel consumption manufacturing stages of engine parts consume energy ( Mining -> refining -> Alloy ingot prepration -> Manufacturing Ingots / longs /flats -> Casting /forging -> Milling/ Machining -> Finishing -> Case hardening -> Packaging -> Transport etc. ) thus unnecessary wear n tear and replacement cycles are also eco unfriendly so overall use of engine oil beyond life is not a green option overall.
True. I did think of that. But then the calculations will become amazingly complex...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks