Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2013, 05:55   #16
BHPian

Rusting in Hyundai Sonata

Hi Guys,

I gifted a Sonata to my dad in 2007. He generally takes it out one or twice a week only. Not a regular driver. Last year while I was there, I noticed weird sound from exhaust. I took it to dealer who said exhaust pipe is rusting away because of lack of use. There was a hole midway which was making sound.

I got that replaced. I got a call yesterday that while servicing dealer has suggested to change whole chassis. Anyone with this kind of issue? I would go for the beat anti rust coating now on since dad doesn't drive much. But anyone had to change whole chassis or dealer is taking him on a ride since he know car had rusting issue with exhaust pipe.

Regards,
Ajay
Old 5th May 2013, 06:05   #17
BHPian

Re: Rust on Car bodies. What preventive care?

Living in a place where salt is routinely spread on the roads for four months of the year and the climate is damp, chassis and body corrosion is a serious issue.

The answer to poor quality steel (endemic today) is galvanisation which works well. Exhaust will always rot out more quickly on cars which are used mainly for short journeys.

To do your own rust protection, high-pressure spray cavity waxes into vulnerable places and underbody shutz to help protect exposed chassis and other areas from stone chips.
Old 5th May 2013, 10:08   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

My wife is from Barbados in the West Indies. Most easterly island of the Caribbean. On the east side the Atlantic ocean and on the west side the Caribbean.

Every car, no matter what make, will start developing rust within a year. It's a small island, lot of salt in the "air" quite hot and humid at times. Perfect conditions for rust. Even Mercedes, Audi, BMW suffer from the same.

Having said that, modern cars are usually very well protected these days, or made out of materials that don't rust.

We own a 2000 Ford Fiesta back in the Netherlands. Bought it last year second hand, 100.000 kilometers on the clock. This car, which is now 13 years old has always lived outside, for thirteen years. It shows on the paint. But other then a few minor spots in the engine bay there is virtually no rust whatsoever on this car!

One thing though, you do have to take care of your car. I inspect all my cars regularly and all little nicks in the paint get treated. That will go a long way in securing no rust. Still rust can develop from the inside out, even on modern cars.

I have several classic cars, one of the being an Alfa Romeo Spider. Italian cars, especially old ones, were/are notorious rust. The saying goes that Italian cars show rust on the sales brochures!

So, all my classic cars get a Dinitrol treatment. In my home country, the Netherlands, it is quite expensive, between Euro 1000 - 1500 depending on the size of the car. But after a Dinitrol treatment I have never had any more problems with rust on any of my cars.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2013, 13:15   #19
BANNED

I am speaking from experience and observation that if the car is used only for weekends it rusts faster than the one in use every day.
If the car is idle for longer time the layer of dust or mud absorbs water particles and keeps it in contact with the metal surface, which eventually reacts with the sheet metal underneath. Driving regularly for about 1 hour and more heats up the metal and evaporates the moisture settled in the cracks and crevices in engine bay and underbody.
The most rust prone areas are :
1) Wind shields corners front and rear.
2) Bottom areas of the doors.
3) Welded joints between the sheet metal for e.g dash panel and underbody weld area. Roof welds line generally covered by black plastic strip on the top.
4) Accident repair areas and circumference of the holes punched in the body for accessory mountings.
norhog is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th May 2013, 09:01   #20
BHPian

Re: Rusting in Hyundai Sonata

Rusting on cars these days have become normal provided the lack of maintenance by users and in turn by the A.S.S.

Few common reasons why the car develops rust -

* the water (especially during rain) that is collected/splashed under the body and if the drain plugs are not clean it gets stagnated and takes time to dry by itself allowing ample time to develop rust.
* from minor or major scratches in the body
* use of hard / salt water to wash the car

@ajayrec, to me it certainly seems that the A.S.S guys are bluffing and trying to make quick incentives. How many years has the car been used/left unused? I am sure you/your dad have not been that bad in maintaining the car.

I would suggest you to take the car to nearest water wash center, put the car on the ramp and lift it, give it a wash, have them use a sand-paper on the rusted parts to remove the rust, wash it again and then give it an underbody treatment like 3M underbody coating or even Bondo. Keep an eye on it once every 6 months and do a touch up if it is necessary. I would also suggest you to do this on the car's floor board as well as a part of preventive maintenance. I did this on my Baleno as a DIY and it came out well. It also acts as a sound-deadening agent.

Let me know if you have any questions.
petrolhead_chn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th May 2013, 11:52   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_chn View Post
Rusting on cars these days have become normal provided the lack of maintenance by users and in turn by the A.S.S.

Few common reasons why the car develops rust -

* the water (especially during rain) that is collected/splashed under the body and if the drain plugs are not clean it gets stagnated and takes time to dry by itself allowing ample time to develop rust.
* from minor or major scratches in the body
* use of hard / salt water to wash the car

@ajayrec, to me it certainly seems that the A.S.S guys are bluffing and trying to make quick incentives. How many years has the car been used/left unused? I am sure you/your dad have not been that bad in maintaining the car.

I would suggest you to take the car to nearest water wash center, put the car on the ramp and lift it, give it a wash, have them use a sand-paper on the rusted parts to remove the rust, wash it again and then give it an underbody treatment like 3M underbody coating or even Bondo. Keep an eye on it once every 6 months and do a touch up if it is necessary. I would also suggest you to do this on the car's floor board as well as a part of preventive maintenance. I did this on my Baleno as a DIY and it came out well. It also acts as a sound-deadening agent.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Car was bought 7 yrs back. Dad use to srive it one or twice a week. We have a covered garage for it, and because its near Delhi, humidity is quite low.
Yeah I would ask him to get a good wash and check the whole thing himself but I doubt he would put that much effort. I will have to do this the next time I visit them. Meanwhile I am just concerned if they break anything while travelling which leads to something serious, then it would be a bigger risk. My next trip would be during Indian GP/Diwali.

Thanks for the reply buddy.
ajayrec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2013, 12:15   #22
BHPian

@ajayrec I guess that is a long time until you check the car yourself when you are here.

Just a suggestion from my end - you may ask your dad to take his 2-wheeler to the water wash service center twice or thrice over 2 weeks time and just do a casual enquiry if the water wash guys could do this activity for him. Then your dad can take the car to them after taking an appointment and "REQUEST" them to help out. Then I am sure your dad would be assisted appropriately considerting the dependability and the age factor . End of the day, it is only TRUST. Good luck!

P.S. Do not let the car sit in the situation you've mentioned.
petrolhead_chn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2013, 14:09   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_chn View Post
@ajayrec I guess that is a long time until you check the car yourself when you are here.

Just a suggestion from my end - you may ask your dad to take his 2-wheeler to the water wash service center twice or thrice over 2 weeks time and just do a casual enquiry if the water wash guys could do this activity for him. Then your dad can take the car to them after taking an appointment and "REQUEST" them to help out. Then I am sure your dad would be assisted appropriately considerting the dependability and the age factor . End of the day, it is only TRUST. Good luck!

P.S. Do not let the car sit in the situation you've mentioned.
Yes, that is true. Leaving car for long in this state is not good. I would ask dad to get in touch with washing guys or/and a machanic too who can probably suggest something. Since Chassis is a big part which is out of range for machanic - he might suggest honestly. Thanks again.
Old 28th April 2014, 15:51   #24
BHPian

Hi Bhpians,

During my last visit to the service station for periodic maintenance I noticed that my exhaust pipe is badly corroded when the car was on the ramp. I asked the service attendant and he said its pretty normal for a 4 year old car. Additionally he said that the rust is superficial & I need not worry about it.
The weather in Pune is pretty dry & my car is always parked outside.

Do you guys really think its nothing to worry about? Need your views
Old 28th April 2014, 18:27   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddy View Post
Hi Bhpians,

During my last visit to the service station for periodic maintenance I noticed that my exhaust pipe is badly corroded when the car was on the ramp. I asked the service attendant and he said its pretty normal for a 4 year old car. Additionally he said that the rust is superficial & I need not worry about it.
The weather in Pune is pretty dry & my car is always parked outside.

Do you guys really think its nothing to worry about? Need your views
When you say badly corroded,
do you mean surface rust, which can be removed , by hard scrubbing with emery paper?
Or
do you mean that a hard jab with a screwdriver, will puncture the exhaust pipe and the screwdriver will pass right through?

If you mean the former, then you have nothing to worry. Just get someone to scrape off whatever visible rust is there. Then apply primer and paint. You should be good to go for the next 3-4 years at least - assuming you don't scrape it on some speedbreaker.

If you mean the latter - then it's time for a replacement. But you did not mention what car it is. That will determine what costs you are looking at for replacing the exhaust system or parts of it.
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2014, 00:17   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
do you mean surface rust, which can be removed , by hard scrubbing with emery paper?
Or
do you mean that a hard jab with a screwdriver, will puncture the exhaust pipe and the screwdriver will pass right through?

If you mean the former, then you have nothing to worry. Just get someone to scrape off whatever visible rust is there. Then apply primer and paint. You should be good to go for the next 3-4 years at least - assuming you don't scrape it on some speedbreaker.

If you mean the latter - then it's time for a replacement. But you did not mention what car it is. That will determine what costs you are looking at for replacing the exhaust system or parts of it.
Hello joybhowmik
Is it possible to apply primer and paint on exhaust piping system?

I am aware of heat resistant aluminium based paints that can be directly applied on steam pipelines and boiler shells on ships. Have never come across primer and paint that can be applied on exhaust pipelines on ship as well as in automobiles.
Can you tell us about the type and make of primer and the paint.

Thanks a lot
Bye
Old 29th April 2014, 07:34   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by norhog View Post
Hello joybhowmik
Is it possible to apply primer and paint on exhaust piping system?

I am aware of heat resistant aluminium based paints that can be directly applied on steam pipelines and boiler shells on ships. Have never come across primer and paint that can be applied on exhaust pipelines on ship as well as in automobiles.
Can you tell us about the type and make of primer and the paint.

Thanks a lot
Bye
There is no specific exhaust system paint/primer.
You can get heat resistant paint for this application - in case the surface rust is removed.
Example: Rust-Oleum Specialty Silver High Heat Spray Paint-http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Specialty-12-oz-Silver-High-Heat-Spray-Paint-6-Pack-7716830/202058780

The other thing that can be tried is rust treatment e.g. Kurust: http://www.hammerite.co.uk/products/kurust.jsp

But we need to know from the poster - what type of corrosion it is. If this is deeper corrosion best to replace rather than stop the rust
Old 29th April 2014, 10:19   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Or
Hey joybhowmik, thanks for the reply. The rust is pretty deep but the metal looks tough and feels tough. The service attendant said its pretty normal and wont need any repair.

I am worried about the monsoons, hope the condition does not deteriorate. Additionally there is no problem in the sound of the exhaust. If I would have never looked at the under body may be I would have never known

Last edited by Siddy : 29th April 2014 at 10:20. Reason: spell check
Old 29th April 2014, 11:07   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddy View Post
Hey joybhowmik, thanks for the reply. The rust is pretty deep but the metal looks tough and feels tough. The service attendant said its pretty normal and wont need any repair.

I am worried about the monsoons, hope the condition does not deteriorate. Additionally there is no problem in the sound of the exhaust. If I would have never looked at the under body may be I would have never known

If it is pretty deep, then my suggestion go ahead and replace it. Dont take chances with your exhaust developing a leak.
Old 29th April 2014, 11:53   #30
BHPian

Quote:
If it is pretty deep, then my suggestion go ahead and replace it. Dont take chances with your exhaust developing a leak.
Okay. Any idea about the cost of a new pipe? I guess the cat con too might need a replacement.
Mine is a May 2010 Ritz (petrol).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks