Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2008, 02:08   #1
Senior - BHPian

Crankcase ventilation - What does it do to the engine?

We have been discussing crankcase ventilation in the following thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post1072827 Page 26 onwards and suspecting this to result in a dirty intercooler. Looks like the technical Guru's have not been visiting that thread, hence this one, so that we can know more about PCV and it's effects.

I did my share of googling and came up with this link - Tutorial topic which clearly explains why crankcase ventilation is needed.

Question is, does a closed loop PCV(Positive crankcase ventilation) system result in a dirty intercooler?

Last edited by aah78 : 18th December 2008 at 05:45. Reason: Edited on request.
Old 18th December 2008, 10:24   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Opened up the plastic engine cover this morning looking for the line that ventilates the crankcase. Could not find it. Does the DDiS have such a system? Where is it? Can some one help?
Try retracing the plumbing from Turbo side and you will get to know if there is a provision in DDis
Old 18th December 2008, 11:56   #3
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
Question is, does a closed loop PCV(Positive crankcase ventilation) system result in a dirty intercooler?
A closed loop would mean the gases are fed back into the intake system. As the blowby gases carry oil vapour chances are if its not filtered (clogged or inadequate filter)it would contaminate the turbo and the intercooler. To prevent that eventuality I should think the system may need periodic maintenance

Last edited by DKG : 18th December 2008 at 11:59.
Old 18th December 2008, 20:21   #4
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Try retracing the plumbing from Turbo side and you will get to know if there is a provision in DDis
Will try and do that on my next service.
@lone ranger- thanks for the thread and the Tutorial.

Old 18th December 2008, 23:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Can someone do this and confirm, please? With so many DDiS complaining of losing the turbo whoosh, I am wondering if there is more to it that meets the eye.
Old 19th December 2008, 00:40   #6
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Probably, one should try just cleaning the EGR to see if it is clogged or something. Often, performance drop could be due to this. I have heard just by cleaning the EGR made a lot of difference on a car in Bombay.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks