Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2008, 12:09   #1
Senior - BHPian

Warranty declined for Front brake Disc worn out in 37 K Kms

I own a Hyundai Elantra CRDI that has done 37,000 Kms. It is in to it 3rd year and is on the extended manufacturer warranty

During 10 K routine service in Trident Hyundai I was informed that from brake drums (both) have worn out and this won't be covered under extended warranty since it is wear and tear item.

I logged a complaint with Hyundai Customer care but got the same response

I would like to know your expert advise on whether brake drum is a part that can get damaged in 37,000 Kms under normal driving conditions with all routine maintenance done at specified service interval in Hyundai Authorized servicing centre (Trident Hyundai)

Thanks in advance.
Bobby

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 18th December 2008 at 12:40. Reason: Edited tags
Old 18th December 2008, 16:07   #2
BHPian

Bobby, it is true that brakes are not covered under warranty.
for brake repacement intervals, why don't you check with other elantra users.
i have seen / heard honda users change their brakes after 25 - 28 k kms.
Old 18th December 2008, 19:59   #3
BANNED

doesnt the elantra come with all four wheel disc brakes
Old 18th December 2008, 20:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

Have you worn out just the brake shoes or the hubs along with it?
Old 22nd December 2008, 09:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

Small correction.. Its the front Brake Discs that has got worn out (not the drum since it is all disc brakes.. and to confirm, it is not just the pads )..
Old 22nd December 2008, 10:45   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Small correction.. Its the front Brake Discs that has got worn out (not the drum since it is all disc brakes.. and to confirm, it is not just the pads )..
When did you have your car last serviced. Ask the HyundaiASS why the brake pads were not replaced in the earlier service or why that was not checked and brought to your notice before this incident happened.
Old 22nd December 2008, 13:12   #7
Team-BHP Support

gadadhar,

Unless im missing something here - i dont see why the warranty should cover your brake pads at 37,000kms - given that they are wear and tear items and usually come to the end of their life around this mileage.

If you could be a little clearer as to exactly what part (pads? discs? etc?) has worn out -- that will help you get some better and more specific advice here.

cya
R
Old 22nd December 2008, 15:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

Disc are also not covered under warranty. As it depends upon how timely you change your pads. IF you overuse your pads, the disc will eventually worn out.

If there are any manufacturing defects like cracks, etc . then it will be covered under warranty.
Old 22nd December 2008, 17:55   #9
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for all your comments

Since there are few posts asking for clarifcation, let me try to add some points

1. Worn out part is the front Brake Disc (both sides)

2. All specifed routine services were done at Trident Hyundai at proper intrevals

3. During last service at 30 K service back break pads (not disc) was replaced, but back were not done

4. Now during service at 37 K, I was informed that front Break drums are damaged. It was informed that this may have happened since the break pads have worn out (then why it was not replaced during last service)

Hope above helps
Old 22nd December 2008, 18:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest you to check the brake discs yourself. All brake discs come with a minimum thickness marking on them. Measure the thickness of the discs to confirm that the guys are telling you the truth. If the thickness of the discs is less than the marked thickness then change them. If it is more no need for changing them.

The marking will be something like 18mm, 15mm etc. That is the minimum permissible thickness for the brake discs.
Old 17th March 2011, 09:48   #11
BANNED

Re: Warranty declined for Front brake Disc worn out in 37 K Kms

My Front RH side Discs brake pad is reported to be nearing its life cycle and LH side side still doing good as per the technician. is anything unusual here? as one is worn out faster. The car is nearing 20k in 1.6 years.

Last edited by wildon : 17th March 2011 at 09:51.
Old 17th March 2011, 10:35   #12
Team-BHP Support

Have you been braking in corners?

Apart from that remember, there is more weight on the drivers side all the time due to steering gear and the driver so the right side has more weight distribution to cope with.

Another point are the road surfaces create differences.

Does the car pull under braking?

Did some matter get in between the pad and disc and create excessive wear

one needs to understand the differences in the wear and see the components before concluding on this
Old 17th March 2011, 10:41   #13
Senior - BHPian

Get the calipers checked. If the caliper pistons of the RH side brake are stuck while it is partially out, it will put pressure on the pads leading to wear. If that is the case, your vehicle also should pull to a side on a level stretch since one of the brakes is partially engaged. I cannot think of any other reason for this, since the brake forces are distributed evenly between the front brakes, unless it has ABS. Also what is your car make? Does it have ABS?

Last edited by pjbiju : 17th March 2011 at 10:44.
Old 17th March 2011, 11:43   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
My Front RH side Discs brake pad is reported to be nearing its life cycle and LH side side still doing good as per the technician. is anything unusual here?
How much more worn is the RH as compared to the LH? If its minor, there's no major cause for concern.

One reason is that left handers are usually taken faster in city driving (in RHD countries), since they are usually free lefts.

When taking a free left turn : The RHS (outside) front wheel will be turning faster than the LHS (inside) front wheel, and its usually accompanied by some "trail braking" as you go into the corner, wearing out the RHS (outside) brake pad faster. There will also be more weight on the outside wheels due to centrifugal force.

This doesn't happen anywhere as often for right turns, since usually you have to wait at a traffic signal before taking that right turn, and therefore speeds are slower, less weight transfer, and there is no trail braking.

Same applies for tyre wear. Hence the importance of regular tyre rotation.

-----------

If the difference is MAJOR -- check your braking system as your LHS pistons might be jammed etc.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 17th March 2011 at 11:49.
Old 18th March 2011, 00:45   #15
Senior - BHPian

Just to check, are you using oversize alloys/tyres?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks