Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2008, 23:03   #1
BANNED

Engine Over Heating

Hi,

My fiesta ZXI Petrol has done around 11K Kms. The engine is over heating and when I took it to the service station nearby, he cleaned the rad., and done some cleaning, but no success. He finally advised me to take to their bigger service centre where they would be doing PDS - diagnosis...so its in garage now...

This happened all of a sudden. Only diff. thing I've done with the car was to take it to Bosch's free service check-up where they gave me some report which removed the three errors identified during the check-up.

Is it a common problem (it seems like there is sth to do with the entire computerised stuff in the car) or it gone bad after this particular check-up?

Any views?
Old 21st December 2008, 23:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopal.putrevu View Post
Hi,

This happened all of a sudden. Only diff. thing I've done with the car was to take it to Bosch's free service check-up where they gave me some report which removed the three errors identified during the check-up.

Is it a common problem (it seems like there is sth to do with the entire computerised stuff in the car) or it gone bad after this particular check-up?
What errors ? I mean errors with respect to engine ? Can you please post the errors mentioned ?
Old 22nd December 2008, 14:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

Its like that. " If ain't broke don't fix it"
Don't go to these free check up camp unless absolutely necessary.

If you are keeping a service history there is no need to go to such camp. Lot of crowd in one place, lot of cars, one or two things missed by mechanic in a hurry is common.

Do check following
1. Coolant level. If this goes down, different hoses,
2. thermostat and fan connection. And above all fan itself must be checked by a direct wire.
Old 22nd December 2008, 15:02   #4

Overheating can have very serious consequences, keep in mind that most cylinder heads are now made of aluminium. Excessive heat can cause the head to be vulnerable to cracks and this will in turn allow the seepage of coolant into the cylinder head and subsequently mixing with engine oil. That will turn out to be a very expensive job, as it would involve the rebuilding of the engine!

Whatever happens dont let the engine overheat!

Rgds,
Sanjeev
Old 22nd December 2008, 15:48   #5
Team-BHP Support

There is overheating and overheating!

Has your car lost coolant ? - check for leaks, check the oil - remove filler cap - if you see white residue like mayonaisse - gasket is gone

Does the car overheating in slow traffic but okay at higher speeds ? - Check your fans

Does the car overheat when you give it a bit of load/ speed after 4 km but is ok if you slow down and drive very slowly - you waterpump is weak and failing

Does the car overheat after 4 km - you waterpump has failed or the thermostat is gone
Old 22nd December 2008, 16:14   #6
BHPian

Sorry gopal for stealing your thread.

Here is the symptom I have. In peak hour day time traffic everything is fine. But on the night, the needle shoots upto 3/4 mark before retreating. I thought it might be related to head light, fuse etc. While driving around OMR, whitefield, sarjapur road etc on saturday afternoon kept my head light on. Didn't see any issues. Same day after 7pm, a drive to indra nagar took the needle to 3/4th level.

I checked the coolant. It was changed this year Jan. The levels are fine. There 2 fans. Both seems to be functional when the needle is above 1/2 way mark.
Old 30th March 2009, 09:40   #7
BHPian

Seirra overheating

Sorry for Hijacking the tread but have some overheating problems.I have a Seirra non turbo,yesterday when i was coming from my native after 30km the power to the engine was reduced and suddenly the temp of the engine started rising,opened the bonnet and found the coolant gushing out of the overfow tank.After the coolant gushed out waited for a while and refilled the overflow tank with water and continued my drive for the next 300km thetemp was normal.what could be the problem.
Old 30th March 2009, 16:56   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddy6980 View Post
Sorry for Hijacking the tread but have some overheating problems.I have a Seirra non turbo,yesterday when i was coming from my native after 30km the power to the engine was reduced and suddenly the temp of the engine started rising,opened the bonnet and found the coolant gushing out of the overfow tank.After the coolant gushed out waited for a while and refilled the overflow tank with water and continued my drive for the next 300km thetemp was normal.what could be the problem.
Reddygaaru,
Please check the radiator filling cap. Are the rubber & spring good. Else replace the cap and see if this repeats again
Old 30th March 2009, 19:27   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopal.putrevu View Post
Bosch's free service check-up where they gave me some report which removed the three errors identified during the check-up.
Removed three errors? As in error codes? You remove error codes only AFTER you fix the cause of these codes. Was your Check Engine Light on when you gave them your car?

Please list the codes they cleared. I'm looking for something like "P0420"
Old 15th April 2009, 09:56   #10
BHPian

Replaced the radiator cap but it still happens any other solutions from the gurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Reddygaaru,
Please check the radiator filling cap. Are the rubber & spring good. Else replace the cap and see if this repeats again
Old 15th April 2009, 10:34   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Replaced the radiator cap but it still happens any other solutions from the gurus

Had same problem with my car.I too replaced the radiator cap but no use. The problem got rectified after i cleaned the radiator.So please clean your radiator the problem can be fixed.
Old 23rd October 2009, 13:51   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Finally found the cause of heating, the master cylinder had worn out replaced it with a new one. No problems but the breaks seem to be on lighter side.
Old 23rd October 2009, 14:10   #13
BHPian

Few months back, i was facing the same problem with my alto. Immediately after that i gave the car for service and since then it is doing fine. As ajmat said it is highly likely that it could be a problem because of the coolant leak or the kaput fan (if it is happening at low speed).
Old 23rd October 2009, 14:57   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
S
Here is the symptom I have. In peak hour day time traffic everything is fine. But on the night, the needle shoots upto 3/4 mark before retreating. I thought it might be related to head light, fuse etc. While driving around OMR, whitefield, sarjapur road etc on saturday afternoon kept my head light on. Didn't see any issues. Same day after 7pm, a drive to indra nagar took the needle to 3/4th level.
Looks like a dogdy/sticking thermostat to me.
Old 23rd October 2009, 20:48   #15
BHPian

sgiitk,

Gkrishn had reported the problem in December 2008, Is the problem yet to be solved ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks