Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2008, 22:09   #1
BHPian

Does my car need a tyre change

Last week when i was returning from office late night, while crossing Thillaiganga nagar subway , i suddenly heard a thud and saw that i went into a pit and came out. Then nothing happened and i thought everything is ok.

But within 100 meters my car began to make sound in the front left wheel. Since my house was just a few 100 meters away i dragged the car slowly since i did not want to stop in the dark. When i stopped the car in my house, i saw there was no air in Front Right tyre.

Next day morning i saw that tyre had a small tear on the sidewall. I changed the tyre [first time for me ] and took the tyre for puncture. The guy there told me that this cannot be fixed and new tyre and tube is required.
But my colleagues told me that this is not the case and i can still use it.

Expert please help me in this and let me know whether it possible to fix the tyre or buy new one.
Attached is the snaps of tyre.
Attached Thumbnails
Does my car need a tyre change-dsc00006.jpg  

Does my car need a tyre change-dsc00007.jpg  

Does my car need a tyre change-dsc00008.jpg  

Does my car need a tyre change-dsc00009.jpg  

Does my car need a tyre change-dsc00010.jpg  

Old 29th December 2008, 22:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

The precise answer to your question is " Yes " your car needs a tyre change.
Replace the tyre + tube. If all other tyres are up for replacement, but a set of five tubeless tyres. If other tyres are not in need for replacement, then get this one replaced. But dont use this again as long as possible.
Old 29th December 2008, 22:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

Like aaggoswami said, Yes you need to change the tyre.

Quote:
But within 100 meters my car began to make sound in the front left wheel. Since my house was just a few 100 meters away i dragged the car slowly since i did not want to stop in the dark. When i stopped the car in my house, i saw there was no air in Front Right tyre.
Err how come your right front tyre is the damaged one when you heard sounds at left?

Since the tyre got damaged due to pothole I recommend you to get the wheel balancing & alignment done as well
Old 29th December 2008, 23:19   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

You definitely need a new tyre. Please dont get carried away by the cheap option of a heat patch that is available in some places.

That tyre is completely gone and it is very risky to use it again. Even as a spare.
Old 29th December 2008, 23:51   #5
BHPian

you surely need to change the tyre, gettin it replaced is the only option i'd suggest.
Old 30th December 2008, 02:48   #6
Senior - BHPian

You can get it repaired and use it as a spare but it is not advisable and the tyre also develops a permanent imbalance which means that if you fit that tyre & drive, at speeds above 60 or 80, you'll get violent steering shake.

My advice would be to replace the tyre.
Old 30th December 2008, 10:43   #7
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Changing the tyre is the only option. Vulcanising the damaged area and using the same tyre is highly risky and not recommended.
Old 30th December 2008, 12:49   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Like aaggoswami said, Yes you need to change the tyre.

Err how come your right front tyre is the damaged one when you heard sounds at left?

Since the tyre got damaged due to pothole I recommend you to get the wheel balancing & alignment done as well
Thanks team, i will go for replacement.
@Technocrat : you are right and it is left tyre only. Maybe i typed the way i used to write my code/programs
Old 30th December 2008, 13:22   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vennarbank View Post
Thanks team, i will go for replacement...
Good decision. Never risk with a patched up tire. They can never be relied upon! (especially if you do high speed).
Old 30th December 2008, 13:57   #10
BHPian

OT: Guys, what can one do with such tyres to ensure that the buyer (if sold) does not refurbish them up and sell them in the second hand market?

For instance, we hang it in the garden with a rope to make it a swing??
Old 30th December 2008, 14:01   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
OT: Guys, what can one do with such tyres to ensure that the buyer (if sold) does not refurbish them up and sell them in the second hand market?

For instance, we hang it in the garden with a rope to make it a swing??
Hanging it in the garden make sense, but not all us have a garden! :(

But what is wrong with it being sold in the second hand market? Any work on such tire's are easily visible and the buyer would certainly know that he is buying a second hand refurbished tire. Hence he should make sure to be careful.

I know few people who reuse such tires refurbished as the spare wheel, since it just needs to get them to the next available tire shop.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks