Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2012, 22:32   #16
BHPian

Re: Should the radiator fan be running all the time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
I got the AC Blower Motor Assembly replaced on Friday at Local Electrician. It cost me Rs. 4500/- + Labour Rs. 600/-.

After that I noticed strange behaviour of Radiator Fan.

When the AC is switched ON (Compressor), the Radiator Fan also switches ON (even though the Engine Temperature is at C) along with Condenser Fan.

This used to not happen before.

When I showed this to that electrician, he said "Its normal. The Radiator Fan and Condenser Fan are in series (?), so the RF will come on with CF even if the Engine Temp. is Cold.

I suspect the battery would drain faster since the Radiator Fan is working continuously and drawing current from the Alternator.

Please guide me.

Should I replace any of the following Relays placed under the bonnet behind Battery--
1) AC Condenser Fan Relay,
2) Series Fan Relay,
3) Radiator Fan Relay (Don't remember correctly)?

EDIT:-
The Thermostat Valve was replaced @ 7-8K Kms ago.
The Fan must come on with the AC to cool the AC condenser.It is normal. What car is this on?
Old 23rd April 2012, 22:53   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst_delhi
The Fan must come on with the AC to cool the AC condenser.It is normal. What car is this on?
I am talking about Radiator Fan that comes on with Condenser Fan i.e. both the fans are switched on when the AC is turned on.

Also, I forgot to add in the previous post that
Initially the Radiator Fan used to switch on only when the Engine Temp. Gauge tried to cross the Half Mark. When the Engine used to be cold, the Radiator Fan remained off.

But now the Radiator Fan switches on after 1-2 mins of switching on the AC Compressor irrespective of Engine Temp. and Surrounding Climate and remains on till the AC is switched off (if the engine is cold) and till the engine temp. comes under control (if the engine is hot - half mark)

One more thing--
IIRC, when the Radiator Fan switches ON (when the Engine Temp tries to cross Half Mark), the AC Compressor should cut-off to ease the load off the engine and switch back on when the Radiator Fan cuts-off.
But in this case, the Radiator Fan is switched on as well as AC Compressor. How will the load on Engine be eased off?

Expert please correct me if wrong.

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 23rd April 2012 at 23:01. Reason: Added last paragraph.
Old 23rd April 2012, 23:46   #18
Senior - BHPian

Sorry forgot to mention the car in question is Tata Indigo LS May 2004 IDI (not TDi) which has covered 2,34,XXX Kms.

Mods please merge this post with the previous one.
Thanks.
Old 24th April 2012, 09:19   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry forgot to mention the car in question is Tata Indigo LS May 2004 IDI (not TDi) which has covered 2,34,XXX Kms.

Mods please merge this post with the previous one.
Thanks.

Since the fans are coming on , the relays must be working, I would now doubt if the mechanic had wired the condensor fan with the radiator fan. But you also said that the radiator fan works at temp > half hence I think all is ok.

I do not see any problems , the battery will not run out as at the max it should be 25 - 30 amps which is ok. check this working with a similar car to be 100%.
Catalyst_delhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2017, 11:30   #20
BHPian

Hello,
I realize this topic is quite old but I would like to have my query resolved.
It's about an early 2004 Tata Indigo diesel turbo car. This car was bought second hand and is being used for about 20-50kms daily in the city. The rad fan and the condenser fan run all the time and only cut out to the slow mode but never turn off. The fans are even running when just the ignition is on and the engine is just preheating to start. I checked with Tata ASC and they said its a time consuming process to rectify the issue. This is putting a huge load on the battery before the car is started and even after its started the alternator is also given unnecessary load. To top it all off the temperature doesn't even rise to the quarter mark. How do I solve it? I'd like to do a DIY so Is it advisable?
Old 10th September 2017, 16:21   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaudf View Post
It's about an early 2004 Tata Indigo diesel turbo car. The rad fan and the condenser fan run all the time and only cut out to the slow mode but never turn off. The fans are even running when just the ignition is on and the engine is just preheating to start. This is putting a huge load on the battery before the car is started and even after its started the alternator is also given unnecessary load.
If I understood it correctly, the Radiator and Condenser Fans have been done Direct with Ignition Switch. Hence as soon as you turn the Ignition Switch ON, both fans switch On even before you start the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by msaudf
I checked with Tata ASC and they said its a time consuming process to rectify the issue.
It would be better if you could find local electrician instead of TASC. The ASCs usually don't want to sort it out easily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by msaudf
To top it all off the temperature doesn't even rise to the quarter mark.
The Thermostat Valve has been removed. Hence the Coolant Temp does not rise. This leads to running of engine inefficiently.
IndigoXLGrandDi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2017, 16:35   #22
BHPian

Quote:

It would be better if you could find local electrician instead of TASC. The ASCs usually don't want to sort it out easily.
The Thermostat Valve has been removed. Hence the Coolant Temp does not rise. This leads to running of engine inefficiently.
Hey Thanks for the insight. So you suggest a local electrician, I was thinking the same. I'm planning to leave the car with a local mechanic to replace the struts, I'll ask him to sort that out too.
Old 16th February 2018, 18:23   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am talking about Radiator Fan that comes on with Condenser Fan i.e. both the fans are switched on when the AC is turned on.

Also, I forgot to add in the previous post that
Initially the Radiator Fan used to switch on only when the Engine Temp. Gauge tried to cross the Half Mark. When the Engine used to be cold, the Radiator Fan remained off.
Raditor fans switche on under two conditions, First is the engine temperature and second is high discharge pressure in Ac system. In case your condensor coil is clogged, discharge pressure will be high, and the radiator fan will also switch on.

Rahul
Old 26th May 2023, 11:22   #24

Swifts radiator fan not switching on

Hi all, I own a Swift VDi 2012 model with 115000 km on odo. I have never seen the radiator fan kicking in, unless the AC is on. Even after being in heavy traffic, I never saw the radiator fan working. The car is working perfectly fine otherwise. The temperature needle shows normal reading (in the middle). When I enquired this during the annual service, I was assured that the engine malfunction light will get turned on if there is any issue with the thermostat or temp sensor. In the petrol model, the fan runs after being in idle for maybe some 15 mins. Is this something I need to be worried about?

Most Viewed