Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2009, 22:48   #1
BHPian

Esteem BS III Clutch issues

Hello friends...

Need a lot of advise from you all.
I have an esteem 2005 bsIII model...The problem on this version of esteems is its clutch which can irritate the driver to the core.

Due to the norms of BSIII there is dome design chane that effects the clutch mechanism (Thats what i have heard from the Maruti guys and practically faced).

Problem: You have to accelerate a bit more than the normal cars and only then release the clutch lever to put the vehicle in motion. If the sequence is not right then the entire vehicle vibrates like hell.

I drove other BSIII Esteems (4 Nos to be precise) and still noticed the same issue. However, all other esteems are absolutely fine.

Is there a workaround for this problem?? Have any one faced this isuue if not irritated as i am?

Your advises are precious...
Old 2nd January 2009, 23:28   #2
BHPian

I drove other BSIII Esteems (4 Nos to be precise) and still noticed the same issue. However, all other esteems are absolutely fine.

well i didnt get you there. When you noticed the same issue in other esteems you drove how can you say they are fine.
i have a 2007 esteem and i have not encountered any such shuddering of vehicle.
Old 3rd January 2009, 02:37   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyasma View Post
Didn't really understand what you were trying to say?!

Did you try adjusting the clutch play?
Old 3rd January 2009, 06:39   #4
BHPian

i have a 2002 mpfi esteem and i think i know what you are talking about. if you don't play the clutch and accelerator properly the car shudders like hell, however it's not a behaviour much different from other cars.
Old 3rd January 2009, 09:00   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi99 View Post
Didn't really understand what you were trying to say?!

Did you try adjusting the clutch play?
Quote:
Originally Posted by salvation View Post
well i didnt get you there. When you noticed the same issue in other esteems you drove how can you say they are fine.
i have a 2007 esteem and i have not encountered any such shuddering of vehicle.
I am sorry to have confused. When i say all other esteems, i mean BS II and other models except the BSIII variant.

Have tried the clutch play. But this doesnt correct the problem but just made it a little better. How much ever better it is you still have to accelerate before releasing the clutch

Last edited by shreyasma : 3rd January 2009 at 09:01.
Old 7th January 2009, 14:09   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyasma View Post
Hello friends...

Need a lot of advise from you all.
I have an esteem 2005 bsIII model...The problem on this version of esteems is its clutch which can irritate the driver to the core.

Due to the norms of BSIII there is dome design chane that effects the clutch mechanism (Thats what i have heard from the Maruti guys and practically faced).

Problem: You have to accelerate a bit more than the normal cars and only then release the clutch lever to put the vehicle in motion. If the sequence is not right then the entire vehicle vibrates like hell.

Is there a workaround for this problem?? Have any one faced this isuue if not irritated as i am?

Your advises are precious...
Hi,
I guess you are comparing your esteem with the older carburetted one. Yes, you ll feel like you are pedalling an under powered engine. The MPFI engine probably delivers lesser fuel per cycle to meet the BS-III norms. If possible compare the power and torque delivered, and fuel economy by these 2 versions. The carburetted version would give a lesser fuel economy, meaning more fuel per revolution - more chemical power - less you press the gas pedal.

I dont think of any need to change the clutch design unless the transmission systems are different.

Alternatively, if ever you have an opportunity to run you esteem with a gypsy's ECU (assuming that the Gypsy's ECU is tuned for a SUV performance) you should feel the difference since the engines are the same in both.
Old 7th January 2009, 19:12   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Alternatively, if ever you have an opportunity to run you esteem with a gypsy's ECU (assuming that the Gypsy's ECU is tuned for a SUV performance) you should feel the difference since the engines are the same in both.

WOW!!! I didnt know that...now the hunt starts for a gypsy ECU
Old 11th January 2009, 11:52   #8
BHPian

Friends, Help me sourece a Gypsy ECU that suits the esteem.

Your info on the price also appreciated for me to decide the change.
Old 20th January 2009, 15:24   #9
Senior - BHPian

Check the clutch plates alignment, that is what causes the shudder.
Old 20th January 2009, 16:13   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
Check the clutch plates alignment, that is what causes the shudder.

Man gimme details where i can get this done...

i dont want to go to MASS..i already know their answer
Old 20th January 2009, 17:08   #11
Senior - BHPian

I have a 2003 Esteem BSII and yes I must admit that the clutch is very sensitive and if not synchronised with the accelerator will definitely give those irritating shudders and might stall as well. I have had M.A.S.S change the cover assembly once under extended warranty after my repeated complaints however that didnt help much.

Also I was told that this is common in all MPFI cars that you need to accelerate more while releasing the clutch in first gear for the car not to stall.
Old 21st January 2009, 10:55   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
I have a 2003 Esteem BSII and yes I must admit that the clutch is very sensitive and if not synchronised with the accelerator will definitely give those irritating shudders and might stall as well. I have had M.A.S.S change the cover assembly once under extended warranty after my repeated complaints however that didnt help much.

Also I was told that this is common in all MPFI cars that you need to accelerate more while releasing the clutch in first gear for the car not to stall.
Yes bro...apart from clutch and the power window issue...i am happy with the rest..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks