Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2009, 10:56   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post

As others have already mentioned, it is because of the bad low end torque of the Swift petrol.

Its typically Maruti, spoilt or changed my driving habits, constantly keeping on high revs driving a zen.
Old 5th January 2009, 14:51   #17
Senior - BHPian

Can someone confirm that the last turn uphill to Tiruneli temple (Manthavady) required full first gear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchist View Post
Get a K&N stock replacement filter
I have a ractive conical filter in place
Old 5th January 2009, 15:17   #18
Team-BHP Support

Your car is just fine, i think the engine is falling out of the torque rev range.

ps: stick to stock or replacement air filter if you dont have any other mods on the engine.

Last edited by Jaggu : 5th January 2009 at 15:18.
Old 5th January 2009, 16:36   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On a Swift to take hair pin bends in second, you need to keep a couple of things in mind.

1. Take the long way around the hair pin bend. But ensure that nobody is approaching from the opposite side.
2. Build up momentum well before the bend and accelerate through the bend. Absolute fun doing this.

As others have already mentioned, it is because of the bad low end torque of the Swift petrol.
I'd think twice before doing this, though you are correct technically. It is risky to enter a hair-pin bend at higher speeds, especially because in most of the cases you get to see oncoming traffic only after entering the bend. That said, I'd rate a hair pin bend to the right a little less risky than one to the left, as in the former case, you'd be sticking to the left of the road while taking the longest part of the turn.
Old 6th January 2009, 12:58   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I'd think twice before doing this, though you are correct technically. It is risky to enter a hair-pin bend at higher speeds, especially because in most of the cases you get to see oncoming traffic only after entering the bend. That said, I'd rate a hair pin bend to the right a little less risky than one to the left, as in the former case, you'd be sticking to the left of the road while taking the longest part of the turn.
I know it is risky and that is why I have asked to make sure that there is no approaching traffic. Also what I do in such situations is to come to right lane before the curve and take the curve with momentum already built up. What this enables me to do is come as close as possible to the apex of the curve. When I exit the apex I am already back in my correct (left) lane.
Old 6th January 2009, 13:11   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I know it is risky and that is why I have asked to make sure that there is no approaching traffic. Also what I do in such situations is to come to right lane before the curve and take the curve with momentum already built up. What this enables me to do is come as close as possible to the apex of the curve. When I exit the apex I am already back in my correct (left) lane.
Ok, understood. I too do the same thing, though I've not driven much on hair-pins in the last 2 decades of my driving.
Old 12th January 2009, 19:05   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
@surprise- what was your rpm at upshift? .
Hi rippergeo, for the steep road what RPM shift is recommended before we upshift to 2nd? I understand that based on the steepness, lets take an example of Masinagudi ghat to Ooty
Old 12th January 2009, 20:24   #23
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Hi rippergeo, for the steep road what RPM shift is recommended before we upshift to 2nd? I understand that based on the steepness, lets take an example of Masinagudi ghat to Ooty
It mostly depends on the seat of the pants feel for me. The petrol swift revs nicely to 6K doesnt it? Its been a more than a year since I drove one. But I doubt if you'd be able to upshift sucessfully on a steep incline to 2nd at anything less than 3500-4000. Especially if you have to lift off the accelerator or brake as you approach a blind corner.

I have upshifted at 4000rpm from 1st gear in the diesel on some ghat roads
Petrol will go much higher if necessary

Old 12th January 2009, 22:27   #24
BHPian

I have the same problem but it started recently.

A week ago my car (swift petrol, done 40k) went for a regular servicing, and since its come back I've noticed that the car has become jerky and hesitant to accelerate at low RPMs. At first I thought it was bad fuel, but I've refuelled since and its still jerky.

I'll describe exactly what happens. Suppose I'm in 2nd at about 1000 RPM, and I suddely floor the accelerator... usually the car pulls away, not very fast but smoothly. Now, it starts pulling and then a split second later it jerks, almost like a hiccup, and then starts pulling again.

The car feels a little stuggish overall as well. Any guesses as to what could be wrong? It must be something the guys at the workshop did to the car... maybe they fiddled with the clutch balance, or reprogrammed the ECU or something? Please help, cuz my car feels terrible to drive now.
Old 13th January 2009, 16:48   #25
Senior - BHPian

This is common in Swift Petrol, because it has poor low end performance, so its better to drive in 1st gear and it I noticed even my Innova Petrol needed 1st gear in few hair pin steep curves in Masinagudi and near Agumbe one hill climb drive with full load (6 people with 100kg luggage.)

Innova Petrol (2ltr engine) performed slightly better than Swift Petrol(1.3 ltr engine). If vehicle needs 1st gear in such steep har pin bends its normal.

I had discussion with Maruti TOP guy about this abnormal show (thats what I felt) of Swift in steep ghats but after meetin him and due discussions I am convinced thats how Swift Petrol works with that gear ratios. Its 2nd gear has not so strength we expect from other cars.

On plain roads we cant make any differance only in ghat roads we can make it.
Don't worry your vehicle is alright, Congrats on completing 50,000km in Swift.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 13th January 2009, 16:53   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEnd View Post
I have the same problem but it started recently.

I'll describe exactly what happens. Suppose I'm in 2nd at about 1000 RPM, and I suddely floor the accelerator... usually the car pulls away, not very fast but smoothly. Now, it starts pulling and then a split second later it jerks, almost like a hiccup, and then starts pulling again.

The car feels a little stuggish overall as well. Any guesses as to what could be wrong? It must be something the guys at the workshop did to the car... maybe they fiddled with the clutch balance, or reprogrammed the ECU or something? Please help, cuz my car feels terrible to drive now.
Post details of what work was carried out during the 40k service and may be we can help.
Old 13th January 2009, 17:04   #27
Senior - BHPian

My OHC had a similar problem, once i got the FFE and CAI added with synthetic oil use i saw a very good difference.

With 4 adults and ac on it took the hilly roads very well...

Most Viewed