Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2009, 20:29   #16
rippergeo

@viana- had a similar issue last month. strut needed to be tightened. 10 min job. free of charge.

Old 27th August 2009, 12:01   #17

I'm facing the same issue. I took delivery of a Swift vxi on 25th June 09. I had driven it for 1000 kms and gave it to Bimal for the first service. Got the car back and everything worked fine. When the odometer read 1800, I noticed a spring noise from the front left suspension. When pushing the bonnet (front left) up and down, the metal spring like noise is very audible. I was obviously worried and took it immediately to Fast Cars to diagnose the problem. They informed me that the strut bolts were loose and this needed tightening. Apparently this was a common problem with Swifts. I drove out of fast cars only to realize at the first speed breaker that the noise was still there.

I then took the car to Bimal at Whitefield. i was told that there was dust and dirt in the piston. I'm not sure if the executive told me that it was a piston below the strut, or the strut piston that needed cleaning. I was made to wait 20 minutes after which I tested the car right then and there. I was satisfied. The sound was gone completely.

My odometer now reads 2800, and I've started hearing the noise again (1000 kms from the last check up) . I plan to take to back to Bimal tomorrow to diagnose it properly. Would anyone tell me if there is a possibility that parts of the suspension were probably replaced during the first service? It's a new car and i find it strange that I need to go back twice to fix a problem that was probably diagnosed wrongly in the first place.
Old 27th August 2009, 12:42   #18
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

good point
in my swift this "kada-kada" sort of sound happens in the front suspension every time one goes over speed breakers and in and out of potholes.
the car is 3 years old and has been looked after very carefully - its only been driven in the city at normal speeds.
must get this checked out and cleared up.
Old 28th August 2009, 23:36   #19
Senior - BHPian

All you guys hearing noise while taking a turn and going over bad roads, its the damper settings, Ask them to set to set the steering damper right and the noise will be gone.

A common phenomenon in the swift.
Old 31st August 2009, 11:55   #20

I took the car to Bimal and the problem was diagnosed as mud and grime getting stuck to the shock absorber. Apparently, when it rains, and when you drive on muddy roads, the mud and gravel enters the shock absorber. The sound comes when the mud dries rubs against the metal in the shock absorber. They cleaned it and now there's no sound.
Old 29th May 2010, 04:15   #21
BHPian

Swift 35k km done and serviced, hear a strange noise, pls help to fix

Hi everyone,

recently got my swift serviced at 35k km by bimal and i was billed 16k for overall service.

4k new battery, the one's i had were stock and it survived 4yrs.
Disc, Clutch - 1.1k
Bearing Clutch Release - Rs. 511
Joint Comp, FR Stabil x 2 - Rs. 802
Clutch Overhaul labour - 1.2k
4k+ oil change + paid service + engine decarbonizing, wheel balance etc
Other parts - 2k
Misc - 2k+ (upholstry cleaning etc etc)

overall i am happy with the service as Car is like a new vehicle to drive, however when i drive above 70 and 80 i hear a noise somewhere under the car and coming from engine room....its a similar noise of driving 10-20 at 4th or 5th gear..... when i asked Bimal, they said its something which is linked to suspension kind of stuff which is damaged and its because of rash driving and i admit i have sometimes driven rashly but to fix that they are charging another 16k and bimal says no guarantee even on the new one.

They have fixed all the problems except this one and the noise seems to be much less after the service and i havent fixed this as it sounded little expensive and bimal said there is absolutely no problem, however i am not fully 100% satisfied as i can still hear the noise.

Even if i want to replace it, bimal gives no guarantee on the new one which is kinda not happening deal, did anyone in this forum had same problem with your swift, if so...please help me to fix it.

B/W i am sorry for not remembering the name of the part, i will call bimal guys tomorrow and ask for the name and update in this thread.

Thanks
John
Old 29th May 2010, 13:17   #22
BHPian

John,
I am not an expert, but have had many bad experiences with Bimal. Why don't you check the car with Solar, Pratham or Mandovi and check what they have to tell. Bimal *** s****. Bimal mechanics once stole my white park lights and fitted the cheap yellow ones. Once, they put a huge dent on my running board and claimed it was there before. It was surely a gift given by the mechanics there who always seem to stunts with the cars provided for service. I had a big fight to get it repaired free of cost. Passenger side power window which had no issues also started squeaking after a regular service. Possibly a swap with defective one from some other car. Didn't hurt me much as I got it replaced in warranty. When I went once to inspect my car in service, I found the mechanic sitting inside with a/c on and doing some silly work. I stay away from Bimal. They seriously need to stop hiring these kind of people who steal, replace parts and have no respect for their customer's property. May be my personal experience! Think before you commit!
Old 29th May 2010, 14:27   #23
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnruben View Post
Hi everyone,

recently got my swift serviced at 35k km by bimal and i was billed 16k for overall service.

Disc, Clutch - 1.1k
Other parts - 2k
Misc - 2k+ (upholstry cleaning etc etc)
That's a lot of money. I have just given my petrol swift for 40K servicing. Haven't serviced it at all since 30K. The estimate given is 5.3K. Only things extra as compared to what's written in the booklet for 40K are brake cleaning & wheel alignment.

Was the battery dead? And clutch giving problems?
Old 29th May 2010, 15:28   #24
BHPian

Hey man, that is too much money for 35K run Swift....

Please believe me, my Swift is 4.5 years old and had done 49K but I haven't done anything major like that except bearing change for front left wheel and normal servicing....

Are you sure all the things you mentioned were needed ?

Also, you replaced your stock battery....seems very early. I still have a stock battery after 5 years and the engine still cranks within half seconds....

Sorry if I am sounding like too much but that's the fact.
Old 30th May 2010, 01:27   #25
BHPian

vinu, sorry about the bad experience you had with bimal. i similarly had worst experience with pratham motors last year and i dont want to go there and regarding solar, a mechanic in front on of me changed a part of another vehicle with my friends car, and beside bimal all other service stations are far from my home.

Pratham motors kept my vehicle for 7days to diagnose a small hissing sound and after 7days my car was handed over at the same condition not even a proper wash with dust inside and outside and was billed 5k (including service). They also charged me for 10ltr of petrol for test drive to diagnose the issue and finally nothing happened. I got insane and screwed everyone including manager and threatened to take to maruti which is when they took seriously and sent an engineer who showed me that hissing noise was because of the wind cutting a small plastic in the left mirror, replacing that plastic part fixed the issue. but they had replaced some water pump and had billed me 5k including service and when i said i wont pay for that...they waived off the money.
please stay away from pratham motors, worst experience.

Regading clutch, i had problems before.... swift clutch is too sensitive, thats what i feel, even a professional driver cant drive the vehicle without restarting vehicle in the city, anyone will get their engine's off due to clutch and its my own experience. Maybe because of this it worn out, which i am not sure... but its better now but not BEST

The Stock batteries were absolutely fine, i never had issues with Self, however physical condition of the battery showed it did need a replacement and my power windows used to move slowly. And it is said that once in 4-5yrs the batteries must be replaced so i replaced them, bimal offered me 200 bucks for my old battery which i did not agree and i still have it with me

B/W if anyone has come across my other problem, please do help me. The noise i mentioned is more with AC ON but its not issue with AC i know since it comes with AC OFF also....
Old 30th May 2010, 01:55   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnruben View Post
Disc, Clutch - 1.1k
Other parts - 2k
Misc - 2k+ (upholstry cleaning etc etc).........
Definitely a rip off. I have done 62k km in 28 months on my Vxi and the most I ever paid for a service was about Rs 6500 when the brake pads were replaced. Of course, engine oil was not part of this since my MASS does not stock fully synth, so add about Rs 500-900 for the oil.
The misc expenses, clutch overhaul, 4k for paid service and 4k for the battery seem extremely fishy. Could you scan the bill and post it?
Old 31st May 2010, 14:07   #27
Senior - BHPian

Guys! the service cost depends upon the way the car is used or abused.

Here is the analysis!
Quote:
It depends upon the brand you choose. BTW they give about 700 for your old battery.

Quote:
Disc, Clutch - 1.1k
The cost is very accurate, in fact little cheaper than rates in my friends MASS.
But the question is did they really changed all of them, Where are the old ones. insist on getting the old parts.
ALways guys, either stand when your car is being serviced, insist on this. I have came across many service guys offering me parts at a nominal cost of new, in almost all A.S.S. in Gujarat. As they do figure out if you know your stuff or not and they deal with you accordingly.

This is definitely expensive. Clutch overhaul is just Rs.500 for swift petrol as it uses cable operated system. Swift diesel is bit expensive at Rs.800.

Quote:
Other parts - 2k
Misc - 2k+ (upholstry cleaning etc etc).........
This 8k that you paid is definitely a rip off.

Upholstery cleaning I think should be part of car servicing, and if you give the wash guy a 50, he will clean it with special care.

Last edited by SirAlec : 31st May 2010 at 14:23.
Old 7th June 2010, 18:27   #28
BHPian

Attaching Bimal bill

@SirAlec, yes they did give me the parts, some kind of metal which looks like a wheel (round in shape with spikes around) and so many other things which i am not aware of.

I could not enquire the cost with other MASS as i needed the vehicle urgently and bimal was the one which was close to my place. I know many guys here had issues with bimal and even i had small issues once a long time back, but as it says "its better to go with the known devil than the unknown God", so i chose to give here

I am attaching my bill for both Swift and 800.
Attached Thumbnails
Strange Noise from LHS front suspension Swift-img013.jpg  

Strange Noise from LHS front suspension Swift-img014.jpg  

Strange Noise from LHS front suspension Swift-img012.jpg  

Old 7th June 2010, 18:42   #29
Senior - BHPian

johnruben honestly BIMAL did rip you off for that mentioned service.Please don't fall for this horse crap unless you get it checked elsewhere.

Quote:
when i asked Bimal, they said its something which is linked to suspension kind of stuff which is damaged and its because of rash driving and i admit i have sometimes driven rashly but to fix that they are charging another 16k and bimal says no guarantee even on the new one.
Take it to another service and let them have a look at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Upholstery cleaning I think should be part of car servicing, and if you give the wash guy a 50, he will clean it with special care.
Methinks he meant to say the upholstery cleaning which includes washing and drying it. Doesn't come cheap, last when I got it done a year back or so, it was 850/-Rs for the baleno.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 7th June 2010 at 18:43.
Old 7th June 2010, 20:04   #30
Senior - BHPian

Cost of parts are fine. Maybe down south they are bit expensive. But many things may have been changed unnecessarily.

Labour id definitely a rip off even by Big city's standard. Even clutch overhaul of swift diesel (which is more job than petrol), is just 850/-.

Is the wheel alignment cost down south Rs.300/-? Please confirm guys.

Always buy things like battery from outside. Authorised dealer of brand. That will work out to be very cheap. Did you get anything for your old battery.

Most Viewed