Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2009, 12:24   #1
BHPian

Engine replacement for Indica V2 petrol

Hi,

This is my first post

My Indica V2(2002) Petrol engine blew up due to the failed water pump when my family was going to Yercaud. My mechanic(not a TATA ***) says that a fairly new 2008 second hand petrol engine is available in Pudupet(Pudupet is the place in Chennai where one is supposed to get all sorts of second hand components) with the ECM and complete wiring and I can replace the blown engine with this.

I know that the engine capacity is changed in the current petrol Indicas and is different from my 2002 model and therefore I am not sure if this is workable solution and would appreciate if any of you can guide me on this.

Regards

Arul
Old 4th January 2009, 13:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest you goto a T.A.S.S for this , instead of a local mechanic.

Check reconditioned engines by TATA with 6months/ 50k kms warranty. You might also check if they can do a Petrol>Diesel exchange (if you want to).

Last edited by dadu : 4th January 2009 at 13:49.
Old 4th January 2009, 19:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
Hi,

This is my first post

My Indica V2(2002) Petrol engine blew up due to the failed water pump when my family was going to Yercaud. My mechanic(not a TATA ***) says that a fairly new 2008 second hand petrol engine is available in Pudupet(Pudupet is the place in Chennai where one is supposed to get all sorts of second hand components) with the ECM and complete wiring and I can replace the blown engine with this.

I know that the engine capacity is changed in the current petrol Indicas and is different from my 2002 model and therefore I am not sure if this is workable solution and would appreciate if any of you can guide me on this.

Regards

Arul
What is the cost that he quoted.
Old 5th January 2009, 12:54   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

How many kms up? Always a good practice to change the timing belt + water pump together at 60,000 - 70,000 kms in most Indian cars.
Old 5th January 2009, 14:11   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
My Indica V2(2002) Petrol engine blew up due to the failed water pump
Hi Arul, could you elaborate on 'blew up' ? Most, if not all, modern engines are pretty good at taking care of themselves & the problem might not be severe enough to warrant an engine change.

Something similar happened to me recently when the upper heater hose in my car (2001 Alto) split, leaking coolant. However, my engine shut down even before the temperature gauge was in the red

Please have your car checked at an authorized service center. Pudupet could look like Wonderland, but you need to know what you're doing or you could be taken for a ride...
Old 5th January 2009, 14:16   #6
BANNED

How much has your car done? Was timing belt changed as per schedule?
Old 5th January 2009, 17:12   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
I would suggest you goto a T.A.S.S for this , instead of a local mechanic.

Check reconditioned engines by TATA with 6months/ 50k kms warranty. You might also check if they can do a Petrol>Diesel exchange (if you want to).
Hi thanks for the update. I was unaware that TATA reconditions engines. I will check it out with the dealer in Salem where my car is now stuck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
What is the cost that he quoted.
He has quoted 14k and I have to give him my blown engine

Rgds
Arul

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
How many kms up? Always a good practice to change the timing belt + water pump together at 60,000 - 70,000 kms in most Indian cars.
Hi,

It has done about 58,000KM. And I had not yet changed the timing belt.

Rgds
Arul

Note from the Team-BHP Support: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Jaggu : 5th January 2009 at 17:50. Reason: back to back post, multi quote
Old 5th January 2009, 17:30   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Hi Arul, could you elaborate on 'blew up' ? Most, if not all, modern engines are pretty good at taking care of themselves & the problem might not be severe enough to warrant an engine change.

Something similar happened to me recently when the upper heater hose in my car (2001 Alto) split, leaking coolant. However, my engine shut down even before the temperature gauge was in the red

Please have your car checked at an authorized service center. Pudupet could look like Wonderland, but you need to know what you're doing or you could be taken for a ride...
Hi Srini,
The whole episode happened just before Yercaud where my family was traveling(I was not there). The driver unfortunately had not noted the raising temperature gauge at all and only by noting the smoke from the enginehe stopped the car. The firewall had caught fire and fortunately it was a small one. He had managed to start the car and reach Yercaud. After bringing the car to Salem the car had been taken to a known mechanic who checked various things they have found the water pump had failed and the final result is that the head is bent by a millimeter.
As suggested I am looking at the TATA reconditioned engines

Rgds
Arul

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
How much has your car done? Was timing belt changed as per schedule?
58000 KM and I have not changed the timing belt

Note from the Team-BHP Support: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Jaggu : 5th January 2009 at 17:51. Reason: multi quote
Old 5th January 2009, 23:23   #9
Senior - BHPian

how many kms was done in that 2008 indica.?

what exact he is saying about your engine. What parts are gone kaput. Can you please give the details.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks