Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2009, 12:56   #1
BHPian

Suspecting CNG leakage in Baleno Lxi 2005.

Hi T-Bhpians,
I have been facing a peculiar problem in my car from last 2 weeks. I got the CNG kit fitted in the car about 5 months back and have driven around 8000 kms on it. 90% being on cng, and rest on petrol.

Recently i observed that after getting cng filled, the car was not used for a couple of days. The CNG pressure on the meter dropped by about 110 points. The gas was filled on a pressure of 220 and the meter was showing 100-110 after 2 days. The car ran just around 80 kms on this gas.

Now assuming an average of 16-17, which i normally get on CNG after having filled 9.5 kgs of it, it should have managed around140-150 easily. the next fill on cng was also almost the same of around 9.5 kgs.
Experts please suggest as to what can you suspect out of it !!.

Suggestions, clarications are highly appreciated.
Old 5th January 2009, 00:07   #2
BHPian

No harm getting it checked from the fitter you got the kit installed. He should be able to detect a leak using the soap solution etc.
Old 5th January 2009, 08:58   #3
BHPian

leak

Sounds like a leak my friend, get going to the service centre ASAP. Also, take a look at the valves and the area near the gauge.
Old 5th January 2009, 10:13   #4
Senior - BHPian

Nearly half pressure within two days is surely a sign gas leakage, get it checked with your installer !!
Old 5th January 2009, 10:18   #5
BHPian

It is better to close the valve of CNG immediately as leakage can be dangerous
Old 11th January 2009, 23:13   #6
BHPian

had got it checked from the installer but could find anything wrong.BTW Got it filled again and checked it again but didnt find anything.The pressure is more or less the same now,after 3 days.
However i am facing another problem.from the past few days the car takes time to start,even if i shift it to petrol-it needs aroung 5-6 cranks to get started.after that there is no problem,any time during the day.this happens early morning only.

now i am not sure how do i explain this problem to the installer/service station,since i ll have to start and then take the vehicle to them.the problem occurs only when the car is started 1st time.

guys please help.

thanks

Last edited by ankit.jhamb : 11th January 2009 at 23:15.
Old 12th January 2009, 00:14   #7
BHPian

Ankit, long selfs especially when trying to start on petrol, are a mark of choked injectors.This could largely be credited to no/less use of petrol.Maximising your run on CNG ensures that the burnouts block the injector pores.
You need to get them cleaned at some good workshop and then on at least try to start your car on petrol in the mornings if not more.A better way of it is the automatic conversion switch that enables petrol to CNG conversion on engine starts. You can ask your installer to put it (If not already) cause baleno is mpfi.

Another thing you might find important is that try to keep fresh supply of petrol in your tank, keep less stock and burn it regularly.stale petrol does a lot of harm to fuel supply.

Hope it helps.
Old 12th January 2009, 14:04   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark View Post
Ankit, long selfs especially when trying to start on petrol, are a mark of choked injectors.This could largely be credited to no/less use of petrol.Maximising your run on CNG ensures that the burnouts block the injector pores.
You need to get them cleaned at some good workshop and then on at least try to start your car on petrol in the mornings if not more.A better way of it is the automatic conversion switch that enables petrol to CNG conversion on engine starts. You can ask your installer to put it (If not already) cause baleno is mpfi.

Another thing you might find important is that try to keep fresh supply of petrol in your tank, keep less stock and burn it regularly.stale petrol does a lot of harm to fuel supply.

Hope it helps.
ok thanks i ll get it checked.
i usually start and run for 1-2 kms on petrol,before shifting to cng.should i switch it after a few more kms?how much should i run my car on petrol?(once in 15days) i drive for 15-20kms on petrol.
Old 12th January 2009, 14:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankit.jhamb View Post
ok thanks i ll get it checked.
i usually start and run for 1-2 kms on petrol,before shifting to cng.should i switch it after a few more kms?how much should i run my car on petrol?(once in 15days) i drive for 15-20kms on petrol.
After getting your injectors cleaned, make it a habit to start you car in petrol mode in morning spl., make a run-in on petrol mode till 3-4 Km. This will keep you engine happy and smooth in CNG as well, as 75% of CNG problems are related to petrol problems somehow.
Old 13th January 2009, 22:03   #10
BHPian

[quote=Spark;1126109

Hope it helps.[/QUOTE]

I have heard a lot about stale petrol . can somebody enlighten how does this happen and also for what duration petrol can be kept in the tank without becoming stale ? anything specific ?
Old 7th March 2009, 15:35   #11
BANNED

AMit , any updates on this thread ?
Old 7th March 2009, 23:01   #12
BHPian

i had got it checked and there was no leakage.the only problem was that the display meter(pressure meter) was stuck at 100-110.this was changed by the installer.regarding the starting problem,nothing was done,i am now keeping very less fuel in the fuel tank (Rs.200-300)so that i can finish it up quickly,i now make a point to run 2-3 kms on petrol and the car is fine now.

thanks
ankit jhamb

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks