Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2005, 22:59   #1
BANNED

santro xing xp 9 kmpl ..help

my santro is not even a year old.the dealer was sure that its gonna give atleast 12 in the city.i have'nt been ripping or racing.but when we bought it it was driver driven.the driver would not shift beyond 2nd 3rd ..gears..how ever the traffic is..is it why i am experiencing low milege..that 9kmpl is without A.C .i am still testing..i cannot belive santro to be so worse..i was expecting minimum of 12kmpl..in city.i got around 12kmpl on highway..that too i consistently maintained a speed of 70-80kmph..when i drive at 90-100 kmph..there is a fall by 2kmpl..whatz going wrong.is there something that i can do to improve the milege in th city..
Old 19th April 2005, 23:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

To get good fuel efficiency...all the gears are to be used at the appropriate speeds...check the owners manual...it will tell you the correct speeds for upshifts.

As you mentioned before that your driver wouldnt shift beyond 3rd gear...that is the reason for low fuel efficiency. By keeping the car in 3rd gear...you are not making use of the overdriven 5th gear...which is very important to achieving good FE.

But apart from that shifting at proper speeds is also very important.

Drifter
Old 19th April 2005, 23:25   #3
BHPian

dude, the santro is not too famous for it mileage! I had a santro which used to give me a mileage of 8.5 without A/C. And most of my friends having santros were getting a mileage of 9 or 10 depending on driving styles and distances travelled. So dunt worry there is nothing wrong with your santro. This mileage is common with all santros!
Old 19th April 2005, 23:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So dunt worry there is nothing wrong with your santro. This mileage is common with all santros!
No dude...santros give atleast 10kmpl in normal driving. But if driven sanely they have no trouble in giving 12kmpl. This is from personal experience.

And for your santro...you always had a heavy foot didnt you.

Drifter
Old 19th April 2005, 23:35   #5
Team-BHP Support

I get 9 KMPL with full A/C on all the time, and it is an Auto...
Old 19th April 2005, 23:37   #6
BANNED

well..the car was just driver maintained...mostly....like it had 4 drivers on it in the period of 6 months..since i could nt find a single driver who would stay consistently in bangalore...may be that might have caused the fuel effeciency go low..right now its just me driving..so..i am taking good care of it.
Old 20th April 2005, 01:37   #7
BHPian

hey buddy from what i hear ...all i can say is the switch of so many drivers..means different driving styles..probably they shift short or over rev...well since now the car is with you...i think you shouldn't have the same problem..on the other hand when you said the drive use to drive till the third gear..now that really ruin's your car...so well you have the fourth and the fifth...make use of them..lolz..anyways do let us know if the problem get's solved or not...cheers...!!
Old 20th April 2005, 01:43   #8
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Probably since the beginning it was driver driven, it might not have run-in properly. Since you say that the drivers wouldn't shift gears. That is also one possible reason.
Old 20th April 2005, 07:35   #9
Team-BHP Support

Is your driver trustworthy? Flicking fuel is a very common malpractice followed by many drivers. Keep a close watch on the odometer.
Old 20th April 2005, 09:49   #10
BHPian

dude how many km has your car done. do you get the car serviced regularly. get your injectors cleaned and if around 25k km get carbon cleaning done. hope you dont drive your car in reserve all the time. you said you get 12 kmpl on the highway. my astra gave me 14-15 kmpl with a/c and full load doing 100-110km on highway.
Old 20th April 2005, 10:37   #11
Senior - BHPian

12 kmpl on highway from a santro means there is something wrong...
my dad drives his 3 yr old santro on the delhi - chandigarh highway at around 80 - 100 kmph and he gets 16-18 kmpl!
Old 20th April 2005, 10:51   #12
BHPian

freakr

You never told how you are measuring the KMPL ?
Santro should give you 11KMPL in average in any condition, as you told its just 6months old. Get your machine checked with the dealer for all the sensors working properly.

Last edited by tabrez02 : 20th April 2005 at 10:55.
Old 20th April 2005, 11:04   #13
Senior - BHPian

just give your driver a few driving lessons including using of the 5th overdrive gear whenever u get the oppurtunity.

santro's are good for 12 kmpl as drifter and i say this as a personal experience. i had a santro with 175/60 R13 tyres and even with those tyres it consistently gave me 12 kmpl !

so take your driver out - explain to him what the 5 th gear means , give him a few practical lessons, show him what optimal gear shifts mean...and voila that should do it.

cheers

ps- as aditya says make sure you driver doesnt flick fuel ..
Old 20th April 2005, 11:08   #14
BHPian

Drivers do tend to abuse the car when owner not around. I think you cant expect 11 kmph from a santro if your driver wants to enjoy some power
Old 20th April 2005, 21:26   #15
BANNED

hey...my car had around 20k on the odo..i am checking full tank to full tank..caliculating on that basis...right now..we have no more drivers around..and its just me..so anyways ..i ll get it checked up ..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks