Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2009, 13:32   #16
Senior - BHPian

I got a call saying the problem was with the shock absorber on the front left side. The shock was stuck and not moving. They are not sure what the reason is.
The guy said it could have been the accident in Sept 2008 - but then I dont think a cyclist hitting at us driving 30-40 KMPH could cause this even if braking was abrupt.
I dont remember any significant bumps or potholes that caused an abnormal sound.

Have any of you driving any car (esp Chevrolet cars) faced this issue before?
Old 13th January 2009, 13:36   #17
Team-BHP Support

Whats the solution he has told you ?

Are they covering it under warranty ?
Old 13th January 2009, 21:30   #18
Senior - BHPian

They said they will repair the shock absorber free of cost. They havent faced this problem in any other U-VA so I'm just checking in Chennai etc to see if shocks have been an issue in any other U-VAs I really can't believe that a car at 3000 Km should develop this problem!! Any inputs as to what the cause could be.
Old 23rd January 2009, 16:02   #19
Senior - BHPian

There was a problem with the struts and they have replaced it under warranty. I just got delivery of the car and will drive it more over the weekend to see how it feels.
Fortunately they also replaced the tire free of cost - its MRF ZVTS and the GM people said that since its only 3000 KM they would ask MRF to provide a free replacement after an inspection. If not GM would replace it. So no expenses on my part.
Apparently MRF ZVTS was not available in Trichy!! So for now GM has given me another ZVTS from their test drive vehicle as a spare and fixed the spare tire onto the front right as they expect the replacement to be done only after the weekend and I need the car before that.
Hopefully this problem is just a one-off and I dont have any major issues in the future.
Will keep you updated about the ride quality after some driving.
Thanks to those who alerted me on the potentially serious nature of the issue so it could be sorted out easily.
Old 23rd January 2009, 17:07   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
There was a problem with the struts and they have replaced it under warranty. I just got delivery of the car and will drive it more over the weekend to see how it feels.
---
Thanks to those who alerted me on the potentially serious nature of the issue so it could be sorted out easily.
Let us hope so. Happy to hear that you got away with those problems lightly...

Last edited by Jaggu : 23rd January 2009 at 17:17. Reason: Please donot quote the whole post for a short reply
Old 23rd January 2009, 17:18   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Fortunately they also replaced the tire free of cost - its MRF ZVTS and the GM people said that since its only 3000 KM they would ask MRF to provide a free replacement after an inspection. If not GM would replace it. So no expenses on my part.
This is excellent job from GM, great response from the dealer also. Strut replacement should solve the problem and it can be one off manufacturing defect of the strut.

happy motoring
Old 23rd January 2009, 17:34   #22
Senior - BHPian

People are complaining about GM A.S.S. I think this should be a answer to them. In many threads and posts in team-bhp, people put negative thoughts for UVA & SPARK (all GM cars) raising A.S.S issues with GM. I never felt GM A.S.S bad. They treat their customers really well.

Last edited by myavu : 23rd January 2009 at 17:49.
Old 28th January 2009, 19:53   #23
Senior - BHPian

I drove the car around briefly in the city and it seems OK. No drag and no knocks.
Hopefully that should be the end of the problem.
A couple of queries to anyone who reads this thread
1. MRF ZVTS is apparently not at all available. The MRF guys are saying I can fix a ZVC model with the same size but different tread pattern, but I have declined saying I'd rather get the same model.Am willing to wait a couple of weeks
2. Does the front tire wear faster than the rear tire (owing to more weight in the front? I ask this because the front right tire now seems to have slightly more wear when compared with the new tire. Or am I just paranoid.

About GM A.S.S.
There were delays due to the Lorry strike and also Pongal holidays and I had to make quite a few calls, but they did what was necessary without a fuss. It helped that I knew the manager of the dealership quite well - the tire replacement especially.
The dealership is about 20 Km away and I got dropped off back at home when I came to give the car. Also they delivered the car right at home.
They have done a wheel balancing and alignment at an outside place to doublecheck and so I can do another one free in a month or so.
As usual the car was cleaned and waxed (including tire and dash) when they gave the car back!
Old 28th January 2009, 21:37   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

MRF is having problems. I think the truckers strike hit them really hard. There are many tyres and sizes which they dont have. They are unable to supply us dealers with many sizes. We are having to say no to the customer because we ourselves dont have the tyres in stock.
Old 2nd February 2009, 11:58   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I drove the car around briefly in the city and it seems OK. No drag and no knocks.-----------
I dont know which version is yours. Mine is U-VA LT and tyres are stock Goodyear 185/60 R14 NCT5. It's 6000 kms and not any uneven wear found. Use to align the wheels at regular intervals.

Regards
Old 19th February 2009, 13:21   #26
Senior - BHPian

Even after 2 weeks MRF ZVTS is not available. The required size is 155/80 R13
The solution offered by GM.
They will replace 2 of the tyres with new ZVC from MRF with the same size. (Either both front or both back tyres).
They have said that this will not affect car performance or handling or safety.
I'm a little nervous about it. Is this OK to do?
After the chat with GM, I have been toying with the idea of upgrading my tyres to 14 inch tyres to improve handling and grip. Just working out the costs involved.
Specific queries:
1. Is it OK to replace 2 tyres with same size but different model tyres?
2. Is there any better tyre than MRF for this? Any suggestions? I havent yet heard of the MRF ZVC model at all!
3. If I upgrade my tyres do you have any models to suggest - I will be on a very tight budget.
I hope I have not confused any of you!
Old 19th February 2009, 14:15   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

1). It is totally ok. Asllong as you have two identical tyres on the front axle or the rear axle, it should be fine.

2). If MRF is your only option, try ZVTS. ZVC is a very new tyre.
3). If you upgrade, you can go in for either Yokohama or Michelin or Bridgestone.
Old 19th February 2009, 14:32   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
1). It is totally ok. Asllong as you have two identical tyres on the front axle or the rear axle, it should be fine.

2). If MRF is your only option, try ZVTS. ZVC is a very new tyre.
3). If you upgrade, you can go in for either Yokohama or Michelin or Bridgestone.
Thanks for the quick reply - I was just about to PM you specifically!
ZVTS is NOT available and that is why ZVC is being offered.
If MRF is not the only option what would you suggest for the same size tyre that would be better.
Old 19th February 2009, 15:14   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Anything available in that tyre size. Just make sure that the dealrship pays for the tyres.

MRF ZVC should be decent enough. One thing abt MRF tyres I have found is that no matter what they name, all the tyres are reliable enough and are rugged. Personally, I would go in for the ZVC tyres as it is less of a hassle.

Spark has 155/80-13 right? Or is it 155/70-13? You can look at Michelin or Bridgestone. It really will not make a difference. Only thing is, make sure that both the front tyres are identical.
Old 13th April 2009, 16:57   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Fortunately they also replaced the tire free of cost
Good that the dealer replaced the tyre also free of cost.
Pls share the dealer's name.

As Jaggu mentioned, GM owners in some of the cities ( like Bangalore) were complaining a lot about the service, but there are really GOOD GM dealers in some other cities.

Most Viewed