Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2009, 19:37   #1
Senior - BHPian

Left front tyre wear on my U-VA

My Chevrolet U-VA has done about 3000 KM and on the last highway trip and now even when driving in the city I notice it pulls to the left - infact the steering itself turns a little to the left when I drive hands off for a few seconds.
On inspection I found that the outer 1 inch of my front left tyre is a little more worn out and the treads are less prominent here.
What could be the problem here?
Is it just a tyre realignment / rebalancing that is needed or is the problem more serious?
Is this OK at just 3000 KM?
If I set it right, say with realigning/rebalancing, should I rotate the 4 tyres around?
I've enclosed pics of the tyre (the left one and the right one to compare with)
I'm a newbie - so if its a very basic issue, forgive my 'innocence'!
Pics:
The front left tyre
Left front tyre wear on my U-VA-img_7080.jpg
closer view
Left front tyre wear on my U-VA-img_7077.jpg

The front right tyre (for comparision)
Left front tyre wear on my U-VA-img_7084.jpg
Old 8th January 2009, 19:58   #2
BHPian

similar thing happened with my Swift VDi, generally this is due to suspension issue, however it also might be because of a faulty tyre, best thing to do is -

1. get the tyres rotated and then see if this happens again on the same wheel, if it happens talk to the dealer and explain, since the tyres are under warranty it will be replaced (I got mine replaced)

2. get the alignment checked before you go for step 1 (just to be sure)
Old 8th January 2009, 20:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajatsingh78 View Post
similar thing happened with my Swift VDi, generally this is due to suspension issue, however it also might be because of a faulty tyre, best thing to do is -

1. get the tyres rotated and then see if this happens again on the same wheel, if it happens talk to the dealer and explain, since the tyres are under warranty it will be replaced (I got mine replaced)

2. get the alignment checked before you go for step 1 (just to be sure)
Its no way a tyre issue and if he rotates the tyre and runs it for a few thousand more km the other tyre which will be placed in the position of the worn out tyre will wear in a similar fashion.
Go asap to the service station.Its under warranty and everything will be done to rectify this.
Old 8th January 2009, 20:32   #4
Senior - BHPian

Ok.
These are stock tyres fitted at the GM dealer when I bought the tyre. I dont find a separate warranty card for the tyres.
By service station do you mean the GM dealer or an MRF service station?
Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Its no way a tyre issue and if he rotates the tyre and runs it for a few thousand more km the other tyre which will be placed in the position of the worn out tyre will wear in a similar fashion.
Go asap to the service station.Its under warranty and everything will be done to rectify this.
Old 8th January 2009, 20:34   #5
BHPian

3000 Kms is too short for such wear to show up. I'm guessing it's too much positive camber. Did your car suffer any serious knocks (potholes & stuff) since you've been driving it ? I'd advise that you have your suspension & tire alignment checked at an authorized service center.
Old 8th January 2009, 20:41   #6
Senior - BHPian

Benji,

Wear out is unnatural. Wheel balancing will solve the problem. Get that done by tyre professional alligners only. Explain the problem to them clearly.

Dwarak
Old 8th January 2009, 20:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

This is suspension issue.
Check alignment, lower arm and then suspension bushes.

Similar thing happened to our Maruti 800. The tyre was so badly damaged that it would hurt the person handling it. We always do a minor service at 2500 km and a major service at 5000kms interval. So alignment was done at right time, but still this thing happened.
As someone pointed out, if you rotate the tyres, another tyre will get damaged.
Old 9th January 2009, 00:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Ok.
These are stock tyres fitted at the GM dealer when I bought the tyre. I dont find a separate warranty card for the tyres.
By service station do you mean the GM dealer or an MRF service station?
GM service station.Its a suspension/alignment issue.
Old 9th January 2009, 20:02   #9
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for all your tips - so i could sound knowledgable when I called GM this evening!
Some quick queries.
1. Is it OK to use the car for a few days with this problem before I get it checked - about 20-30 KM drive max over the next few days inside city.
2. If the problem is set right, should I keep the tyres that way or rotate them after setting it right so I know if the problem recurs - else the same tyre may wear and I could miss it
3. Should I ask them to replace the tyre as it should not wear after 3000 KM - ie should I force them to give me a brand new tyre?
4. Is it safe to continue to drive on this tyre after the problem is set right.
Old 9th January 2009, 20:11   #10
BANNED

Please get the tie-rod checked and replace, if required.
Old 9th January 2009, 20:11   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Is it OK to use the car for a few days with this problem before I get it checked - about 20-30 KM drive max over the next few days inside city.
2. If the problem is set right, should I keep the tyres that way or rotate them after setting it right so I know if the problem recurs - else the same tyre may wear and I could miss it
3. Should I ask them to replace the tyre as it should not wear after 3000 KM - ie should I force them to give me a brand new tyre?
4. Is it safe to continue to drive on this tyre after the problem is set right.
1) IMO, NO, its not a good idea. This wrong set up right now is eating tyre and also can stress other components. If its just alignment error, its OK, but what if the bush part is wrong. It is not advisable, but you can use it considering that your tyre is further eaten away.

2) Actually, after the problem is set right, replace this tyre. If you keep this tyre then I am sure this will be used in future and using this tyre is risky especially on highways.

3) IMO, you can talk to the guys who service the car and tell them why did this happen and why were you not warened about this. You can push, but as this being rubber part, it would be tough.

4) IMO, NO it is not safe to use this tyre.

I think that this is a suspension issue mostly so you can talk with service guys that who is responsible for this ?
But did you feel change in noise when the car hits pothole or was there a marked difference between ride quality ? If NO, its the service center's problem.

OT : Was this car ever involved in a crash and has it happened after that ?
Old 9th January 2009, 23:18   #12
Senior - BHPian

I havent noticed anything different in the way the car handles bumps and potholes.
I do notice that it pulls to the left even at speeds of 30-40 KMPH.
No new sounds I can make out.
There was an accident in Oct 2008 when we hit a cyclist who rode straight into the car and the bumper, front hood were dented including the portion above this wheel. However the car was repaired by the GM people and there was no problem noted after this. In fact I got it checked up in Dec 2008 before my 2 highway trips.
The problem was noted on my second highway trip (Trichy to Chennai) - the drift to left.
The wearing was noted a week after this trip.
The GM manager at Trichy is a close friend, but is in the US and will be coming on Monday - I prefer getting the job done when he is around.
While I'm happy with the tech guys at GM Trichy i do not think they are the best around - so I may need to spell out all that needs to be checked.
So when I give in the car on Monday this is what I'll tell them.
1. Exact description of problem and wait for their educated/uneducated input.
2. Listen to what exactly they will be doing.
3. Tell them specifically to check the balancing and alignment (do they give any printouts/figures/numbers?)
4. Tell them to check the suspension in detail esp the bushes and the lower arm (whatever that is!)
5. Hrag needs to educate me on what the tie-rod is.
6. I will tell them to replace the tyre with a new one as I got the car checked just a month ago and has done just 3000 KM
7. As of now I'm gonna tell them to put it as the spare tyre in case replacment is not an option - will replace it myself after getting some people I know at my workplace to physically see the tyre and give their expert opinion.
Old 10th January 2009, 10:00   #13
Senior - BHPian

Your car is still under warranty, goto your SC and show them the condition of this tyre, they will issue a letter with which you need to goto the nearest authorised tyre dealer, he will inspect and tell you if its a suspension, alignment or other issue.

Then get it corrected under warranty, wearout due to wrong alignment is not covered under warranty.
Old 10th January 2009, 21:30   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

6. I will tell them to replace the tyre with a new one as I got the car checked just a month ago and has done just 3000 KM
7. As of now I'm gonna tell them to put it as the spare tyre in case replacment is not an option - will replace it myself after getting some people I know at my workplace to physically see the tyre and give their expert opinion.

6) I think this part comes under " Normal wear and tear " so getting a replacement is tough. Also they will claim your driving style, roads, etc are reason. Its very very tough to get replacement of rubber parts.

7) Right now till the car is repaired, dont use any other tyre at this location, or else the good tyre will also face this type of uneven tyre wear. This is just my opinion.
Old 12th January 2009, 16:02   #15
Senior - BHPian

I have given in the car for the necessary work and will get details of the problem in a few hours.
In the last one week, the tyre wear seems to have increased - I have hardly done 30 KM on it (including the 20 KM drive to the service station!)
I'm feeling pretty nervous about the verdict!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks