Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2005, 18:48   #1
Senior - BHPian

Indica V2 lube consumption

Hi All,

I have an Indica V2 DLS Euro 1 and it has done 7,300 kms only. The car has passed its first service and is due for the next service only on 10K kms.

But so far the car has consumed roughly 8 liters of lube oil. I wonder whether this is a normal rate of consumption or not...

Thanks in advance,

Sandeep
Old 20th April 2005, 21:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

well sandeep, even if you include the 5 lts. of oil changed in the first service(@ 5000 kms-correct me if i am wrong), the 8 lts that your car has consumed (3 lts for 2300 kms odd) is not normal.

but since the car has covered only 7300 odd kms, it seems highly unlikely that your engine has developed any serious problem; like busted oil rings, etc. but damages like busted oil rings mean a lot of smoke, overheating, difference in the engine's sound,etc.

check for any signs of oil leakage from the sump. also, is the car spewing out a lot of smoke? check for decompression. get all these checked at an authorized service station. all the same , you could also get your trusted mechanic's opinion.
Old 20th April 2005, 21:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hey Veyron.. the oil is changed in 7500kms service and not 5000. They may be topping it up in the first service (5000kms)
Old 20th April 2005, 22:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

BTW,how did u know that its consumed 8 liters of engine oil.
Old 20th April 2005, 22:30   #5
BHPian

I don't know whether this is a case of excessive oil consumption but was the engine run in properly for the first 1k or so ? that's quite important as engines which get a hard workout as soon as they leave the showroom have a tendency to consume a lot of lube after a while - if that is the case than it's something i guess you'll have to live with...

zaphod
Old 21st April 2005, 11:40   #6
Senior - BHPian

Thank you all for the replies,

The car was used properly in the first 1k. Never touched the 5th gear at all.

It is a loud machine, but not spewing any smoke. They only topped up, not changed the oil.

I estimated the oil burn as I added approx 4 liters so far. I dont know how much the guys added while on the first service.

any idea how much an Indica would have consumed in a normal manner....

thanks again,
Old 21st April 2005, 13:59   #7
Senior - BHPian

the indica would normally consume about 0.5-0.8 litre of oil; if under regular and proper use.

thanks for pointing out, stratos- i forgot this was the v2- i was thinking of the earlier non-v2 indicas- the initial batches had service intervals of 5000 kms...

and sandeep- it doesn't matter if you didn't touch 5th gear- the rpms in each gear is what matters under the initial run-in; i.e, even if you maintained an average speed of 40 kmph, the run-in won't be proper if you used only the 1st two gears during the run-in.(i.e, keeping the engine revs above 3000-3500)

also, since you've added 4 litres, the net consumption would be the 4 litres that you've put in- since that is the amount that had to be topped up. the existing oil in the sump doesn't count as consumption.

and it does seem like your baby is showing excessive drinking habits. the noise alone is not a symptom of any problem- most of the perfectly running indicas are noisy.... but does yours penetrate the cabin excessively even while driving with a/c?

Last edited by veyron1 : 21st April 2005 at 14:07.
Old 21st April 2005, 16:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

Veyron,

Thanks for ur post.

Nope, the car was not been subject to such torture runs, that is never KEPT above 2500 mark.

There is no remarkable noice inside with the AC on. its certainly not very noicy inside.

There is some smoke emission when I start it in the mornings. Also there is some smoke when I raise the engine. but if you follow the car in another vehicle closely, you wont notice anything remarkable. The car is used in only 1-2 days a week, but for long drives mostly. it s always being driven with the AC on, and I am getting 17-18 kmpl.

Yes, I added approx 4 litres. So I guess the consumption is upto that. another thing is, in your post u mentions that 0.5-0.8 is norm.. that is 0.8 /1000 kms?

That is my car should have consumed so far 1.6 litres only (0.8*7000 - 4 litres in sump)? How can I check for sump leakage, looking for oil stains on ground? I dont think i have seen it yet, but i will take a look today.

Thanks again,
Sandeep

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 21st April 2005 at 16:59.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks