Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2009, 10:15   #1
BHPian

Palio 1.1 SLX: Fuel cut-off indicator

Hi Guys,

I had taken my Palio Stile 1.1 SLX for a one-day trip yesterday. We drove to Nanjangud and KRS. Roads were excellent for the Nanjangud part but KRS roads are really really bad.

Now, while returning to Bangalore I noticed the fuel cutoff indicator was on. I immediately stopped the vehicle and turned off the engine. I gave it around 40 minutes before turning on the engine - the indicator was still on. I drove for about 5 minutes before I thought I'll give it another try.

I opened the bonnet to find that the coolant level was low. I filled mineral water to bring the coolant level to the recommended levels, gave the car about another 10-15 minutes before turning on the engine. The indicator was still on.

I don't have much idea about the internals of the car. So I had to drive it back home in the same condition. Today morning when I started the car, the indicator still turns on.

Please let me know what could be the problem. I have a feeling the underside of the car might have got bumped with something when driving to/from KRS and damaged some under-chassis component. Could this be the reason? Please help!

Thanks a ton!
Old 12th January 2009, 12:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

what was the level of the fuel in the tank?

i think you are refering to the "low" fuel indicator which come on when you have around 5-7 litres of fuel (petrol / diesel) in your car's tank.

it is always better to top up your car's tank when you have around "half tanky full".

or did the "fuel cut-off switch" below the front passenger side dash board get activated - it looks like a car lighter switch. (the fuel cut-off switch gets activated in case of a collision / accident).

Last edited by planet_rocker : 12th January 2009 at 12:45.
Old 12th January 2009, 12:55   #3
BHPian

any throttle lag or drop in performance?? i reckon you should get your fuel filter checked, MIGHT have been a case of bad fuel.. but ofcourse the best option would be to get it diagnosed from an authorised service personnel..
Old 12th January 2009, 13:27   #4
BHPian

Palio 1.1 SLX: Fule cut-off indicator

No, it's not the low fuel indicator. It is the fuel cutoff indicator which comes on (along with other indicators like hand-brake etc) first when we turn on the key. When we turn on the engine, it is supposed to go off.

I didn't knew about the fuel cutoff switch on the front passenger side. I'll check it.

There was no accident/collision. The tank is still half full.
Old 12th January 2009, 14:06   #5
BHPian

This is a common problem with Palio Stile, happened a couple of times with my car. The culprit turned out to be a loose connection both times.
Old 12th January 2009, 14:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

wht is a fuel cut-off indicator? didnt know something like this existed. If its the fuel cut-off switch - the car should hav stalled due to lack of fuel (right?).

I thought the indicators that come on when you first turn the key is the engine check, oil and brake indicators? Am i mistaken?
Old 12th January 2009, 14:21   #7
BHPian

I think the indicator refers to some problem with "fuel-injection".
Old 12th January 2009, 14:25   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post
wht is a fuel cut-off indicator? didnt know something like this existed. If its the fuel cut-off switch - the car should hav stalled due to lack of fuel (right?).

I thought the indicators that come on when you first turn the key is the engine check, oil and brake indicators? Am i mistaken?
Me too...are you referring to engine oil indicator by any chance?
Old 12th January 2009, 15:03   #9
BHPian

He is referring to "Fuel Injector" symbol which appears at the top left side of the console for couple of seconds in normal mode when ignition key is switched on.

Am I correct?
Old 12th January 2009, 15:20   #10
BHPian

Palio 1.1 SLX: Fuel cut-off indicator

Yes, it's the fuel injection/injector indicator as mentioned by Rudrah.

Any idea what could have gone wrong?
Old 13th January 2009, 14:38   #11
BHPian

The manual says you have to drive slowly if this happens and get it checked at an ASC. It is the fuel injection system light as people have said, so I hope you get it checked at the earliest.

What was your odo reading when this happened? I have an SLE that's run around 700kms, and want to know when to get worried Have other 1.1 owners noticed this on their machines?
Old 18th January 2009, 19:40   #12
Senior - BHPian

the fuel injector symbol can mean anything. its an indication that the ECU is saying something. I had the lights come on after TASC changed my spark plugs, after hooking it up to the computer- it said that the relay is open for the cylinder 4. So i would suggest you take it straight to the workshop.

its nothing to worry about.
Old 22nd February 2010, 16:41   #13

I have a palio stile 1.1. Three days back the fuel injection lamp came on. The engine also stalled a couple of times. The next day the engine started revving in high mode when I switched it on. And when I shifted the car into gear, it started speeding automatically at the slightest pressure. I took the car to Malik motors in Hyderabad. They kept the car for the full day and later said there was a problem with the prolic wheel and the water pump. I asked them to change the prolic wheel. After a couple of hours when I went to take the car they said that the problem existed even when they changed the wheel so they didnt instal it. I have lost confidence in them. net net they admitted that they didnt know what the problem was and wanted to keep the car for 2-3 days.

Any suggestions on what to do next? Can someone recommend a good mechanic for the problem?
Old 14th May 2010, 12:55   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashkul View Post
No, it's not the low fuel indicator. It is the fuel cutoff indicator which comes on (along with other indicators like hand-brake etc) first when we turn on the key. When we turn on the engine, it is supposed to go off.

I didn't knew about the fuel cutoff switch on the front passenger side. I'll check it.

There was no accident/collision. The tank is still half full.

if i get it right this is the "spray type" indicator on the right top corner...

if that is indeed the case, get the ecu checked at a *** as this is because of very bad fuel. my collegues palio had same issue and we wentto the *** to get it rectified.

regards
Soumo.

Most Viewed