Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2009, 00:34   #1
BHPian

Can Steering fail in modern cars????

I make frequent trips to delhi and sometimes my speeds are 130-140 on the highway. Today while speeding my car, for a few second I felt as if there is something wrong with my steering (s*** scared!) and I pulled over. Then I wanted to know that is it actually possible to get the steering or brakes failed coz at these highway speeds I guess this would be the biggest nightmare with deadly outcome. Like we see in a lot of old movies that steering doesnt work or comes out in the hero's hand and brakes fail

Its stupid but still I am curious to know if these steering total failures or brake failures happen in cars like Ikons or Accents or Lauras. but I am curious to know.
Old 13th January 2009, 09:32   #2
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_diavolo View Post
I make frequent trips to delhi and sometimes my speeds are 130-140 on the highway. Today while speeding my car, for a few second I felt as if there is something wrong with my steering (s*** scared!) and I pulled over. Then I wanted to know that is it actually possible to get the steering or brakes failed coz at these highway speeds I guess this would be the biggest nightmare with deadly outcome. Like we see in a lot of old movies that steering doesnt work or comes out in the hero's hand and brakes fail

Its stupid but still I am curious to know if these steering total failures or brake failures happen in cars like Ikons or Accents or Lauras. but I am curious to know.
yes it is possible for steering or brakes to fail but not in the way they are shown in movies. there may be total failure if the components are not checked regularly.
Old 13th January 2009, 09:49   #3
BHPian

Any mechanical/ Hydraulic/Electrical system are bound to fail, unless you take care of it and do preemptive maintainance. Would you please explain what actualy happened during speeding, did the steering feel a little heavy? In my esteem vx once I had a failure of the power steering the pipe burst, though steering was very heavy but steerable none the less.And I had to drive around 70 odd kms to reach my mechanic
Old 13th January 2009, 10:35   #4
BHPian

Are the chances more to fail if I fit an after market steering wheel?. I have been always interested in momo steering wheel because of the smaller size (when compared to the huge steering wheel in Getz) but always had the fear that it might fail some time. Is it recommended to stay away from after market steering wheels?.
Old 13th January 2009, 11:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

Mostly its the oil leakage due to failed seals which inturn fails the brake or steering.
Old 13th January 2009, 11:30   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry2223 View Post
yes it is possible for steering or brakes to fail but not in the way they are shown in movies. there may be total failure if the components are not checked regularly.
well, since conventional steering systems use a rack and pinion linkage which is purely mechanical, failure depends on quite a few points doesn't it? Also, power assisted rack and pinion systems have a greater chance of failing due to an added electrical system. Steering systems need to be checked (how regular I do not know exactly, it depends on the car and the type of system used).

Good while driving man. Stay safe
Old 13th January 2009, 16:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvhplyevraftr View Post
Are the chances more to fail if I fit an after market steering wheel?. I have been always interested in momo steering wheel because of the smaller size (when compared to the huge steering wheel in Getz) but always had the fear that it might fail some time. Is it recommended to stay away from after market steering wheels?.
The steering wheel as it is isn't a component which will cause catastrophic failure simply because it's a wheel bolted onto a shaft.

It may contribute to wear and tear because with the new easier to use steering wheel, you might be driving more aggressively.

One reason to stay away is of course, the lack of an airbag.
Old 13th January 2009, 16:21   #8
BHPian

Complete failure of steering suddenly is highly unlikely. I think there is a law which states steering must be mechanical (can't be steer by wire). The power steering might fail but you should still be able to steer albeit with much greater force.
Old 14th January 2009, 09:31   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvhplyevraftr View Post
No way drv, you can safely dump your worries. Getting an aftermarket steering wheel which would result in a failure is a near impossibility. As I have mentioned its because of the pipe, seal and electricals, so make sure you regularly check your cars, and she will be Aok.
Old 14th January 2009, 13:46   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Steering & braking mechanisms have the least chance of failure; car manufacturers adopt several quality checks to ensure this. Not surprising if you consider how vital their basic functioning is to safety.
Old 14th January 2009, 13:54   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Steering & braking mechanisms have the least chance of failure; car manufacturers adopt several quality checks to ensure this. Not surprising if you consider how vital their basic functioning is to safety.
exactly! that is why steering and brake mechanisms have to be mechanical compulsorily, and can be assisted by other electrical/hydraulic systems. also the steering column must have direct (solid) mechanical link to the steering mechanism (rack/pinion)

parking brakes still are not hydraulic . they are still operated-by-wire (i don't know if any car has rod operated ones)
Old 12th February 2009, 09:27   #12
BHPian

i have a momo steering on my Getz, and have been using it for the last 2 years. My daily drive is almost 80 kms and mostly on the highways at speeds of around 100+ but so far i did have not faced any problem like steering failure. Infact the momo smaller dia steering has made the steering more responsive apart from giving a sporty look to the interiors.
Old 12th February 2009, 11:53   #13
Senior - BHPian

somebody had posted the PS on a swift dzire failing during a TD and crashing it onto a divider or something.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks