Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2009, 02:08   #16
BHPian

Goto you battery wala dude. You battery water maybe low hence the charge there may not be proper and hence that morning trouble.
Old 7th March 2009, 18:33   #17
BHPian

Hell it happened again.

Yes friends. Today at 4:55pm I started the car for the day. It started the engine in the first attempt without any issues. Got my car out on the road. Got a jurk but was for a second and it disappeared. Dont know what was this engine jurk and i am pretty sure that i was in second gear. Now I had gone almost half a Km away from my house and then the engine suddenly turned off automatically. Due to traffic i was in second gear. While the car was still moving tried cranking the engine and it wont. Had an oportunity to steer the car to the road side. The steering had become hard to steer since the engine was off. But some how i managed.

Tried cranking the engine and it wont start. I have not counted how many times i attempted to crank the engine but it should be around atleast 4-5 times. After every attempt i kept a gap of few seconds though. And finally at the sixth or seventh attempt it started.

I did not want to risk my journey so took the car back home and parked it.

Fuel - Have atleast around 7-8 liters in the tank. I judge this based on my past experience. The fuel guage indicater was about to reach at the first pointer sliding from top.

Why is this happening with my car. It has now done 2917km. Run atleast 4-5 days a week for 22-25Km per day.

Inputs from bhpians on this issue would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by tush : 7th March 2009 at 18:36.
Old 7th March 2009, 18:40   #18
Senior - BHPian

Never had such a issue with my DDIS. For best diagnosis go to MASS and ask them to run diagnosis on their computer (A Handheld that they plug into the car ECU). It would indicate any issues you may have with any of the systems controlled by ECU or the ECU itself.
Old 7th March 2009, 19:50   #19
BHPian

I called the MASS technician. He said that they will get the Diesel Filter cleaned and this should sort out the problem. As per him the impurity or dust particles in Diesel could have caused this. When i told him to get the ECU checked by connecting their Hand Held device. He said there is no point in doing that unless car has got any error lights turned on at its console. Since there are no error lights on the cars console the ECU test will come out clean.

Even i dont recollect if there were any error lights turned on as I was a bit paniced about the engine dying while driving on the road. If it happens again i will take a snap with my cell phone camera of the lights that remain turned on at the cars console.

Last edited by tush : 7th March 2009 at 19:52.
Old 8th March 2009, 15:04   #20
bhp
BHPian

FYI

recently my friend s innova had showed a error light on the console after there was dust accumalated on the diesel filter.....the car was running absolutely fine though for 300kms untill we went to the service station

On the DDIS i think there is a error light for the diesel filter as well.. u can notice when before u start the engine... just go through the manual may be it can be some help if the problem is due to diesel filter
Old 12th March 2009, 18:36   #21
BHPian

Advise needed?

Hi Friends,

Took my car to the Service Station today. They said that i will have to leave the car for a day. Leave it in the morning and collect it in the evening. They will clean the tank and the fuel supply pipes which goes from the tank to the engine. First they werent able to make out what is the problem, since everything was just fine when they just had a look at the car. One of the gentleman said, the car could be loosing earthing somewhere.. What does this mean? Then I gave them a hint that the only thing that was common when this starting problem happened to my car was the fuel was low in the tank(7-10liters). So they suspect dirt could be the problem and appreciated my observation.

People again i am a novice. And your help has always saved me from making a fool of me by the service station. Again i need your advice before i give my car tomorrow morning. They will remove the fuel tank and stuff which i am frankling speaking not comfortable since my car is new and done only 3000km.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by tush : 12th March 2009 at 18:39.
Old 12th March 2009, 18:48   #22
BHPian

Hi Tush! I can empathise with you on this. I had a similar problem for close to a year on my Zen. All kinds of checks and diagnostics were done and the results were clean but the problem won't go.

It would stop ten times in ten km and other days it wouldn't stop once in 20. The MASS people kept the car. Drove it for 20 km and cleared it. Finally I met an intelligent (really intelligent) service engineer at Spectra Motors in Borivali. He diagnosed the problem in 3 minutes flat. And he showed it to me how it was happening.

There was a loose connection in the harness (electric wiring). It was damaged beyond repair and needed a complete harness replacement. The harness costed close to Rs 8000. I didn't have a chioce but to agree. To my surprise, the cost of harness had been dropped only the previous month to Rs 3000 so my total cost including labour and tax was close to Rs 3500. The car never stalled after that.

I would suggest to get your harness checked. A rat would have done the trick. All the best!
Old 8th April 2009, 14:28   #23
BHPian

Hi Friends,

Sorry for the delay in reply. I took the car to mass. They found that the following indicator on the console did not turn off within 4 seconds after turning on the ignition and it remained on until the engine was not started. Once the engine started it turned off but it should turn off within 4 seconds of turning on the ignition while the engine is not cranked.

They said the sensor had dust on it so the light didn't turned off in ignition mode. Once you start the engine the light would go off. They cleaned the sensor. They cleaned the fuel tank. The ECU did not report any errors but they reset or flashed the ECU. Have also checked the fuel supply pipe from tank to the engine. They found dirt in diesel filter which they have cleaned it. After this was done the car has done 1000Km with no issue as of yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Swift DDIS Engine Starting Problem-swift_starting_problem1.jpg  

Last edited by tush : 8th April 2009 at 14:38.
Old 8th April 2009, 14:33   #24
Team-BHP Support

How much did all this cost you ? Time and money
Old 8th April 2009, 14:36   #25
BANNED

Never ride till the fuel level goes below 1/4 atleast i know the fuel quality in Pune, avoid that and be happy.
Old 8th April 2009, 14:41   #26
BHPian

Well it did not cost me any money for the service they did but yes it did cost me money for transit and my whole day time behind this issue.
Old 8th April 2009, 15:00   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
Never ride till the fuel level goes below 1/4 atleast i know the fuel quality in Pune, avoid that and be happy.
And may I ask what makes you say that?
Please note that fuel is ALWAYS sucked from the bottom of the tank at ALL times!
It's hilarious how many people advise about possibility of dirt and/or water being sucked in if the tank level is low!!
Old 9th April 2009, 01:19   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
And may I ask what makes you say that?
Please note that fuel is ALWAYS sucked from the bottom of the tank at ALL times!
It's hilarious how many people advise about possibility of dirt and/or water being sucked in if the tank level is low!!
Anup you need to look at the shape of tank first in most cars it is not perfect cuboid with flat bottom always ( I do not know about swift tank shape )
and if you notice fuel is not sucked from lowest point always , The dirt gets settled in few recessions here and there and if fuel gets too low due to shakes and jerks the unsettled dirt goes in. The fluid movement is less when volume is more.

You can visualize by shaking a glass with less then 1/4 water and compare it with a 1/2 filled one to check where more ripples are caused when you shake them equally.

In Safari they have a sedimentary which collects the much and water so there is no need to empty and clean full tank. I wonder why they do not put similar equipment in other cars.
Old 9th April 2009, 19:10   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
and if you notice fuel is not sucked from lowest point always , The dirt gets settled in few recessions here and there and if fuel gets too low due to shakes and jerks the unsettled dirt goes in. The fluid movement is less when volume is more.
Point well taken, but do note that the suction point does not shift. It is at the same location and that is right at the bottom, which does not mean it has to be flush with the floor of the tank. Allowance is always left for a certain amount of sedimentation or water.
In a moving car, the impurities get churned up quite nicely. And if there is water accumulation it will get sucked in regardless of whether the tank level is full, half or quarter!

It does seem intriguing to me how many people are told there is a problem with dirt and/or water. In decades of driving around and refuelling at any available bunk in the remotest of places I have never ever had a problem! Pinging yes, but serious problem, no! How come? Plain lucky? Never had a fuel tank or pipelines cleaned!

Very often, the real cause of the problem goes undetected and fuel quality or muck is blamed. And please note that the car in question here is virtually new yet!
Old 9th April 2009, 20:49   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post

It does seem intriguing to me how many people are told there is a problem with dirt and/or water. In decades of driving around and refuelling at any available bunk in the remotest of places I have never ever had a problem! Pinging yes, but serious problem, no! How come? Plain lucky? Never had a fuel tank or pipelines cleaned!

Very often, the real cause of the problem goes undetected and fuel quality or muck is blamed. And please note that the car in question here is virtually new yet!
"not sucked from lowest point always " I meant not in all cars it is at lowest point not that it keeps on shifting.
Are you driving CRDe Engines? I heard DI and IDI were not so sensitive to water. It is not that only old cars will get water in Diesel on 2.2 thread a new Safari sedimeter had some 600 ml of dirt and water given to owner in a pepsi bottle , Most of the service lights and rail pressure issues have history of water in Sedimenter so I guess once the sedimenter is full then even a slight amount of water also causes problem to sensors in rail.

Actually from refineries Kerosene , Diesel and Petrol are supplied by same pipeline separated by water head and that is real source of water.So if you are unlucky to buy diesel from first batch coming out of pipeline you will have water

Last edited by amitk26 : 9th April 2009 at 20:51.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks