Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2014, 07:28   #61
BHPian

Re: Swift DDIS Engine Starting Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by tush View Post
Hello Friends,

Today at night, at about 2:30am when i turned on the ignition and after certain lights on the odo which are supposed to turn off, when they turned off i attempted to start the engine. This first attempt the engine failed to start. Waited for 5 seconds and attempted to start, it failed again, it did the same third time and was successful to start only at the fourth attempt. Never had this problem before. The car is new and has done around 1500KM on the odo.
During this time of the night the weather in Pune is cold in winters, however today it was not that cold to talk about. Is this somewhere related to this cold weather? Is this behavior normal for the modern diesel car ? Or does it indicate bad fuel ?
The Road had a little banking where the car was parked for 9 hours.

Is this indication of some serious problem coming up in future?

Your inputs would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
tush.
Hi Tush,
Most modern diesels have heater plugs. But sometimes due to very cold and moist conditions the heater plugs do not work very efficiently. Try to start the swift by pressing the clutch pedal. I have faced this problem when the car was parked in the open by the sea shore. I do not know how but it did not start at first. Next I pressed the clutch pedal and cranked the car. It started. Some cars like the vista quadrajet and the beat diesel and the fiat punto will not start unless you press the clutch pedal.
Old 31st October 2014, 09:09   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adit mishra View Post
Hi Tush,
Most modern diesels have heater plugs. But sometimes due to very cold and moist conditions the heater plugs do not work very efficiently. Try to start the swift by pressing the clutch pedal. I have faced this problem when the car was parked in the open by the sea shore. I do not know how but it did not start at first. Next I pressed the clutch pedal and cranked the car. It started. Some cars like the vista quadrajet and the beat diesel and the fiat punto will not start unless you press the clutch pedal.
The User manual clearly states to press the clutch and start the car.This is for one reason,to reduce the load on the starter motor else it has to take the load of both the engine (by default) and the gearbox.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 13:55   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
The User manual clearly states to press the clutch and start the car.This is for one reason,to reduce the load on the starter motor else it has to take the load of both the engine (by default) and the gearbox.
Hi Rakesh,
I knew that pressing the clutch while starting is good. But did not know the exact reason. Also I have one more doubt in my mind-What is the purpose of using gear oil in a car? Does gear oil come in contact with any engine parts? I found my gear oil colour was deep yellow today while changing it. Is it okay?
Old 31st October 2014, 14:53   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adit mishra View Post
Hi Rakesh,
I knew that pressing the clutch while starting is good. But did not know the exact reason. Also I have one more doubt in my mind-What is the purpose of using gear oil in a car? Does gear oil come in contact with any engine parts? I found my gear oil colour was deep yellow today while changing it. Is it okay?
Powetrain consists of chiefly two components -the engine and the gearbox or the transmission both linked together via the clutch. The engine oil lubricates the engine where as the gear oil only the gearbox,hence doesn't come in contact with the engine. The gearbox consists of a number of gears which need to be lubricated,in fact this is only one of the functions of the gear oil. Since the gear box is an enclosed unit the oil doesn't get contaminated hence it retains its colour. Generally the gear oil available in the market is of yellow colour again depends on grade and manufacturer.In my case i am using a brand called Schaeffers which is red in colour just like wine. I dont need to replace it for the entire lifetime of the vehicle unless and untill i need to open the gearbox during clutch replacement.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2014, 06:57   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Powetrain consists of chiefly two components -the engine and the gearbox or the transmission both linked together via the clutch. The engine oil lubricates the engine where as the gear oil only the gearbox,hence doesn't come in contact with the engine. The gearbox consists of a number of gears which need to be lubricated,in fact this is only one of the functions of the gear oil. Since the gear box is an enclosed unit the oil doesn't get contaminated hence it retains its colour. Generally the gear oil available in the market is of yellow colour again depends on grade and manufacturer.In my case i am using a brand called Schaeffers which is red in colour just like wine. I dont need to replace it for the entire lifetime of the vehicle unless and untill i need to open the gearbox during clutch replacement.
Hi Rakesh,
You seem be a gearbox pro. Its great to learn about the brand Schaeffers, but is it available in Orissa? I have tried to find a good gear oil for my ritz here, but except Castrol 80w90, no other good gear oil is available. Add to that there are no contact details of the Total distributor in Bhubaneswar. Does Castrol 80w90 work fine inside the ritz diesel gearbox? As per your previous posts gear oil is just there to lubricate parts, it has no specific purpose. I used to get a grrrrrrrr type of sound while starting the car in the morning. It goes after driving for 5 minutes. Is it normal gear rollover sound? And do you get it in your car too? The noise goes away if you press the clutch pedal too.

Most Viewed