Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2010, 14:19   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Akshay what is your car ? How many KMS has it run ?.
Squeaking noise can be from busted STRUT KITS or STRUTS or suspension bushes
Hi, its a santo xing 18k kms and 2 years old.
Old 10th November 2010, 10:47   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
Hi, its a santo xing 18k kms and 2 years old.
Just 18K, I don't think struts might be the culprit here.
Seems like suspension bushes gone . Replace them, they should not cost you more than 1.5K Rs for front & Rear bushes. Befor replacing Take it to a garage and get it confirmed
Old 10th November 2010, 18:09   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Just 18K, I don't think struts might be the culprit here.
Seems like suspension bushes gone . Replace them, they should not cost you more than 1.5K Rs for front & Rear bushes. Befor replacing Take it to a garage and get it confirmed
Thanks sushrutha!
I'll take it to the A.S.S and get it checked as my car is covered under extended warranty.
Old 11th November 2010, 17:27   #19
Senior - BHPian

Need help!

I have this wierd problem in my 1.6S. The stock dampers are stiff and the ride quality is already below unacceptable levels with the 15" and low profiles. Off late, the ride quality has become worse. Going over a speed bump simply throws the car up and down, especially the front wheels and uneven roads throws the passengers around in my car. The tyres are CPC2 in stock profile and I was thinking the tires would be the culprit. But, the cornering that I used to love in the 1.6S has become scary as the car feels unsettled while taking corners at an average speed. This has made me think if I need to check the suspension thoroughly.

Does it indicate a suspension system thats going towards the end of its life?

The Ford A.S.S guys to checked it, but they mentioned everything to be normal. Even busted brake pads were reported normal by these guys earlier so I am totally confused about what I should do next!

I have completed over 30,000 KMs in my car!
Old 11th November 2010, 21:23   #20
BHPian

Hi Guys,

My brother has an Optra 1.8LS,probably 2004 make..For the past few days there have been some rattling and squeaky sounds coming from the rear left..After inspecting the rear we found the fluid is leaking out from the shocks..So,does that mean we need to change the shocks or the oil seal is broken?..I am not much a car driver,so no idea about all this..But when bike's oil leaks we change the oil seal,hence this weird relation.. Also,how much are the expenses of changing shocks,if you have any idea please suggest any good GM service center across Delhi-NCR..

Also,the front right wheel couldn't be aligned as according to the alignment shop 'bushes' have to be replaced and there's play in the wheel..

Please suggest how to solve these problems..

Thanks..
Old 11th November 2010, 22:23   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
But, the cornering that I used to love in the 1.6S has become scary as the car feels unsettled while taking corners at an average speed. This has made me think if I need to check the suspension thoroughly.

Does it indicate a suspension system thats going towards the end of its life?

I have completed over 30,000 KMs in my car!
What are the kind of roads your car does on a regular basis? 30,000 kms is too low for suspension damage to a new car!

Here is a simple check to check the suspension :
Apply downward force on the bonnet right on top of the front wheel on one side and check. If it rebounds back and oscillates, the suspension is bust, but if it rebounds back with no further oscillations, then it doesnt seem to be so.

I take it to believe there's been no damage from sudden potholes taken at high speeds.
Old 12th November 2010, 11:39   #22
Senior - BHPian

^^ I did check that Ben, I am confused is all I can say. It looks stable, the dampers are harder in the 1.6S so the rebound intensity would be less right?

I have left the car at Ford A.S.S again today and identified a squeaking noise from the rear left suspension. The test driver mentioned that could be due to the suspension mount.

And when the car was driven slowly over a flat road there is a floating feeling in the car with an up/down movement. The test driver mentioned that to be due to faulty tires. But the CPC2 in my car has run only 10K so far. Is the test driver bluffing with me or its the tires that are at fault?
Old 14th November 2010, 03:39   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
And when the car was driven slowly over a flat road there is a floating feeling in the car with an up/down movement. The test driver mentioned that to be due to faulty tires. But the CPC2 in my car has run only 10K so far. Is the test driver bluffing with me or its the tires that are at fault?
I have a slightly similar case currently with my car. However, in my case i know that the rims which i have in front are bent on the inside, and cannot be repaired with hammering. Till recently, i had these as the back wheels, so didnt face this symptom. To wear out these wheels, i now have them in the front since i plan on replacing all 4 tyres and rims together.

If the test guy blames the tyres, why dont you get an opinion from a reputed tyre shop? They would certainly know better! Will also help you eliminate one item off the list to check.
Old 27th April 2016, 19:05   #24
BHPian

Need help!! Thuds in my honda city gxi 2004

Hello guys,

I don't know if I can post my query here but I hope I'll get help from you all.

I have a honda city Gxi 2004 (NHC) petrol. there is a thud sound when ever i give it acceleration. ( it feels like the front bottom portion of the car moves back a little and slides back into position as it was a loose bolt somewhere)

I had this similar issue before but it was diagnosed as front shock absorber failure. Hence I replaced the both front ones. Issue was gone for about a month and it came back. But This time thud was similar sounding but I could feel it is not the shock absorber as they were brand new. (Gabriel shocks).

This sound comes for 2 seconds when I give a acceleration and then it is silent. It happens again when Im taking any turn at low speed.

It sounds like this "Thud..thud..thud" (feels like the left tire is bouncing loose and some iron part is moving back and forth).

Mechanic told "Sir gaadi ka bedding loose hai wo naaya daalney sey thik hojayega" (Translation : sir beddings are loose you will need to replace them) and it will cost 2500 for each bedding. There are total of 4 he says.

Please shed some light on this guys. I feel sad that im unable to diagnose what it is correctly to rectify.

vehicle : Honda city 2004 gxi (NHC) pre owned.
KM : 76000

Note : this for sure is not steering rack, shock absorber and sound comes only from right front side.

Thanks..!!
Old 27th April 2016, 19:55   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Need help!! Thuds in my honda city gxi 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by mod_freak View Post
But This time thud was similar sounding but I could feel it is not the shock absorber as they were brand new. (Gabriel shocks).
Engine Mounts aka bedding is most likely the culprit here. Get them checked and replaced. Based on age, the rubber as part of the mount may have become hard and hence passing all the knocks all over.

That's the first thing I would check if I was in your place knowing that the suspension was replaced.

In fact, you can open the bonnet and pull the handbrake and try to test this by slotting in 1st and acceleration while releasing the clutch quickly and see how the engine moves back. While it is normal for the engine to move back when you do this even with healthy mounts, you can notice abnormal moment (read more) with weaker mounts.
Old 27th April 2016, 20:04   #26
BHPian

Re: What are the symptoms of suspension problem / failure?

Exactly this is what the mechanic tried to do, and i could see the engine do a somersault back wards, like it rolled back almost to the back as if someone was pulling hard..

He said there are 4 beds, is it true ?? he said costs 2500 per bed

NOTE FROM T-BHP SUPPORT: Please avoid typing..like... this... Thanks.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 27th April 2016 at 20:09. Reason: see note in post
Old 19th May 2016, 13:13   #27
OSH
BHPian

My car has run a little over 90000 kms till date, without any replacements done to the suspension. Since the last few months there is a khad-khad noise (more prominent in the front) whenever my car goes over even any small bumps or broken patches on the road.

I had it checked at Sunil Uncle's garage, Select Auto (Dadar), he said that he would have to open up the entire suspension to look at what was wrong. He estimates the costs to work up to approx 30000, is there a way to diagnose what is wrong without opening up the assembly ?

Any tell tale signs of worn out bushings, lower arms, shocks etc ?
Old 21st May 2016, 15:00   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSH View Post
My car has run a little over 90000 kms till date, without any replacements done to the suspension. Since the last few months there is a khad-khad noise (more prominent in the front) whenever my car goes over even any small bumps or broken patches on the road.

I had it checked at Sunil Uncle's garage, Select Auto (Dadar), he said that he would have to open up the entire suspension to look at what was wrong. He estimates the costs to work up to approx 30000, is there a way to diagnose what is wrong without opening up the assembly ?

Any tell tale signs of worn out bushings, lower arms, shocks etc ?
I had the same issues.. replacing caliper hangers and disc pads solved the issue
Old 21st May 2016, 16:44   #29
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amritpal2489 View Post
I had the same issues.. replacing caliper hangers and disc pads solved the issue
Thanks, but my entire brake system was overhauled around the 80000 kms mark. It was done at Sunil uncle's garage itself so I doubt it has got anything to do with the brakes. This is something related to the suspension as it makes noise only on uneven roads or when going over bumps.
Old 25th July 2016, 22:49   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSH View Post
He estimates the costs to work up to approx 30000,
Did you get a breakup of what this cost is amounting to? Did he not mention about what exactly needs to be replaced. Even with the lower arm and shocks replaced, it would not cost that much I believe.

I had exactly the same issue with my Baleno 3 years back, and my mechanic easily diagnosed it to be the worn out bushes. Replacing it (@150/- each) fixed it then.

Now again a similar issue has cropped up; a thud when encountering a pothole. Now, according to him, the suspension seems to be weak and need to replace the shocks.

I am in a dilemma on whether to go find a replacement or just live with it. My Baleno is at 1.25L kms now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks