Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2009, 14:42   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Nitrous, yes, I know... have seen tons of containers littered in service centers. Best place for them to be picked up from. :(

And thats ONE more reason why I dont like Castrol much - max. possibility of adulteration.

I feel defacing the label is usually enough. Someone might put the container to some use... which is fine... as long as it cant be used for adulterating!

And yes, I'v always bought stuff from known/authorised dealer or service centre. Personally, I dont think I'v ever been a victim of this... at least I dont think so.

Considering the magnitude of this menace, I'm very surprised that manufacturers are not coming up with better ways (seals, etc) to counter this serious issue!

Once again, those who have been a victim of this, please do tell if you could make out anything from the container or its seal/cap, etc.
don't worry dude. as long as you are buying from a reputable place you'll be fine. my problem was that i had no choice that day. and no time to go back and fight with him. that was silly of me i know but it's been years now.

to your question about whether i could make out - no not really. except that the bottle looked slightly faded like it had been lying in a shop for a long time but it was genuine. the seal *may* have been just slightly of a different colour but you would have to be pretty sharp to pick that up. don't worry - anyway as i said, if you go to a reputable dealer you'll be ok. at least once you open up the bottle you'll know (as i did) whether it's real stuff. gunk will always look like gunk!

oh and to the OP: dude if you are changing oil or coolant or whatever, make sure he does it in front of you - it sounds like you didn't see what he did. else you can do it yourself - it's the easiest DIY maintenance for cars - you really don't need to go to a workshop for it.

Last edited by silver_shadow : 22nd January 2009 at 14:44.
Old 22nd January 2009, 15:00   #17
Senior - BHPian

^^^I know buying from a reputed/authorised shop/service centre is the safest bet, but then its no like these places are not known for cheating... so I wouldn't let down my guard, even if purchasing from these places.

Btw, I'm just curious... you didn't have have time/options and you didn't even go back and shove that stuff down his neck... then what did you do with it? Did you by any chance use it (pour it into your 2t tank)?

And yes, that coolant sure seems its not what it should be. I'd flush it out and refill asap!

Last edited by Raccoon : 22nd January 2009 at 15:01.
Old 22nd January 2009, 15:12   #18
BHPian

Quote:
^^^I know buying from a reputed/authorised shop/service centre is the safest bet, but then its no like these places are not known for cheating... so I wouldn't let down my guard, even if purchasing from these places.

Btw, I'm just curious... you didn't have have time/options and you didn't even go back and shove that stuff down his neck... then what did you do with it? Did you by any chance use it (pour it into your 2t tank)?

And yes, that coolant sure seems its not what it should be. I'd flush it out and refill asap!
i wish i had poured it down his throat.

i rode the bike with whatever little oil was in there, then stopped at the first large petrol pump and filled up oil mix fuel from sachets.
Old 22nd January 2009, 15:38   #19
Senior - BHPian

And you (apparently) let the pump run dry?
Old 22nd January 2009, 17:58   #20
BHPian

Quote:
And you (apparently) let the pump run dry?
no not really. there was a *little* oil.

Most Viewed