Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2009, 20:29   #1
BANNED

What is Colour of TVS brand coolant

Hi all,
When travelling across southern tamilnadu, i thought of changing coolant, since its time to change (precautionary measure on long travel) . So i bought an bottle of TVS brand coolant, since its branded and had faith in it. But the place where i bought is reliable one. So i gave it to local mechanic shop to change coolant, After some time he said they have changed coolant and cleaned air filter by air compressor. I was not there at that time. After 2-3k kms, inside city travel. I pplanned for long travel, so i checked the coolant. But to my shock its like water mixed in slight rust color,

Its not green, blue color. Its color is like rain water color (...almost 85% transparent water ) i think that coolant water should not be much transparent. Did he cheated , or TVS coolant color is rust color .?
Old 21st January 2009, 20:34   #2
Senior - BHPian

I just checked what I have.
Its the 'TVS-Girling EZcool concentrate green'. And this is green in colour.
I don't think TVS makes coolant in a different colour.

Can you post the picture of the stuff in your radiator,currently?
Old 21st January 2009, 20:37   #3
BANNED

yes...Thats exactly the brand what i bought. Its an round white plastic bottle. But this local workshop guy cheated me. Am sure about this. The water is not even green , not even 5%. Will post the picture tomorrow morning.
Old 21st January 2009, 20:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

Drain the coolant and fill it up with a new solution of 3 parts of water for 1 part of coolant concentrate.
Old 21st January 2009, 22:04   #5
BHPian

sounds like he gave you repackaged stuff. i had one such similar experience when i had gone to meet my friend on my old KB100. i realized i needed to fill some 2t oil. i bought a bottle of *castrol super TT* from a local shop (the only one i could find on bannerghata road). i went to fill it in the bike and found it was a dull green colour and the viscosity was much lower than what i was used to! but the bottle was of castrol super TT alright! just rebottled gunk!
Old 21st January 2009, 22:15   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_shadow View Post
sounds like he gave you repackaged stuff. i had one such similar experience when i had gone to meet my friend on my old KB100. i realized i needed to fill some 2t oil. i bought a bottle of *castrol super TT* from a local shop (the only one i could find on bannerghata road). i went to fill it in the bike and found it was a dull green colour and the viscosity was much lower than what i was used to! but the bottle was of castrol super TT alright! just rebottled gunk!
I dont think its repacked stuff, since i personally bought the TVS coolant which is sealed, and from an reliable shop. So i suspect that workshop guy didnt use the coolant bottle, he just poured water into radiator. he may have re-sold the coolant or used for other vehicle.

since the water inside radiator looked untidy, Would the water gets rust trace in lancer diesel, if radiator runs in water for more than 3k kms??
Old 21st January 2009, 22:27   #7
BHPian

I think the guy may have mixed coolant colors in your car. Perhaps he used red coolant when he should have used green?

Is it possible to go back? If not, just do a coolant flush yourself.

Good read:http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/overh...e_Mag_53_g.pdf
Old 21st January 2009, 22:49   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_shadow View Post
Gosh... but did you check the seal of the Super TT bottle? Did it look original? I'm so petrified of of hearing these stories about oil and other adulteration, that I almost go thru the container multiple times with a magnifiying glass. Lol.

Anything else about the bottle that would give it away?

Didn't you go to back to the shop and have a word with the guy about what he just sold you??

Once again, I would sincerely request everyone reading this to at least deface the labels of the oil/coolant/etc cans/bottles that they use... so that others are not made a victim due to your containers.
Old 21st January 2009, 23:29   #9
Senior - BHPian

^^ A lot of workshops just throw away the oil containers after filling a vehicle and these containers are picked up by these people who scavenge streets for metal/plastic and sell them to dealers from whom spurious oil makers buy in bulk. Castrol containers are high in demand.

I personally make holes through the contaners with a hammer and a screwdriver or some tool.

The best solution to make sure of oil genuineness is the source. Preferably a distributor or stockist. Find the best one you can and stick to him. Be a regular and let him know you're not just another buyer.
Old 21st January 2009, 23:48   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivanoj View Post
I dont think its repacked stuff, since i personally bought the TVS coolant which is sealed, and from an reliable shop. So i suspect that workshop guy didnt use the coolant bottle, he just poured water into radiator. he may have re-sold the coolant or used for other vehicle.

since the water inside radiator looked untidy, Would the water gets rust trace in lancer diesel, if radiator runs in water for more than 3k kms??
Yes, it is possible he had emptied the coolant into the radiator directly. The right procedure would have been to drain the coolant, flush the system and then add the coolant to fresh water in proper ratio.

I have seen the reddish/rust kind of formation is many cars over years, normally goes away with a flush.

Can you tell me which workshop it was that did the sloppy job?
Old 21st January 2009, 23:59   #11
Senior - BHPian

Nitrous, yes, I know... have seen tons of containers littered in service centers. Best place for them to be picked up from. :(

And thats ONE more reason why I dont like Castrol much - max. possibility of adulteration.

I feel defacing the label is usually enough. Someone might put the container to some use... which is fine... as long as it cant be used for adulterating!

And yes, I'v always bought stuff from known/authorised dealer or service centre. Personally, I dont think I'v ever been a victim of this... at least I dont think so.

Considering the magnitude of this menace, I'm very surprised that manufacturers are not coming up with better ways (seals, etc) to counter this serious issue!

Once again, those who have been a victim of this, please do tell if you could make out anything from the container or its seal/cap, etc.

Last edited by Raccoon : 22nd January 2009 at 00:00.
Old 22nd January 2009, 08:09   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
Yes, it is possible he had emptied the coolant into the radiator directly. The right procedure would have been to drain the coolant, flush the system and then add the coolant to fresh water in proper ratio.

I have seen the reddish/rust kind of formation is many cars over years, normally goes away with a flush.

Can you tell me which workshop it was that did the sloppy job?
Even if he have emptied coolant into radiator without flushing, then the coolant must be green color. but it is not. i think he jus poured water and made coolant for his personal use.

by the way , the garage is not in coimbatore, also this happened once in motherland motors which is in mettupalayam road near murugan mills, I will just upload snaps of coolant for clear idea.
Old 22nd January 2009, 11:33   #13
BANNED

attaching the pictures which i have taken by pouring some content into an glass tumbler.
Attached Thumbnails
What is Colour of TVS brand coolant-dsc00385-copy.jpg  

What is Colour of TVS brand coolant-dsc00382-copy.jpg  

Old 22nd January 2009, 11:37   #14
BANNED

As far as I know coolants are either green or blue in colour. Brake fluids may be red or clear.
Old 22nd January 2009, 11:40   #15
BHPian

By the snaps looks like it is still the old coolant as it looks rusty not the red or orange color. Better to replace it with new one after flushing it.

Most Viewed