Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2009, 09:40   #1
BHPian

Steering Whine or groan

The air temperature outside is in the -ve's now days and yesterday morning my audi started whining. It was more pronounced in the morning and was getting louder when I try to turn the wheels left and right. The sound also seemed to increase or vary with the rpm. I figured some thing was wrong with the power steering but couldn't figure out what. My instincts told me it is the PS pump.

I did some reading in a couple of the audi forums and found that this is a common problem for audi's in winter. The root cause may be an air bubble that get trapped into the system. All you might need to do is some bleeding like the below..

1. open the reservoir cap
2. start the engine
3. turn the steering full lock to right, then left and then back right.
4. Turn the engine off
5. Wait for some time before putting the cap back (you might see some froth inside the reservoir and some fiz coming off like you opened a coke can - wait till it settles and put the cap back)

Well, that was it for me and sound is gone for now. And if it returns, I might have a leaky system or a blown pump I will keep you guys updated on that..

I am planning to flush out the old PSF if the sound doesn't come back and put in some fresh pentosin that I got from a near by dealer.

Last edited by 16v100bhp : 27th January 2009 at 09:42.
Old 27th January 2009, 20:09   #2
BHPian

Leaking power steering seal might cause this problem. Check with your dealer soon.
Old 28th January 2009, 04:59   #3
BHPian

Yep.. that what I meant by a leaky system.. Dont want to go the dealer so quick..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks