Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2009, 10:41   #1

Santro shock absorbers

Hi,

I have a 2003 Santro and it has done 1,04,000 KM and recently about two weeks back I started getting rolling sound when driving at low speeds. I got the shocks checked from an outside workshop and was told that the front pair needs a replacement.

I have been doing an extensive search on team-bhp and google also but didn't get much information about the shock absorbers for santro. I came across a post mentioning Reyaz in Khan Market for shocks, so I did find him and showed him the car. He said both front and back pair need to be rplaced and advised me against going for (Monroe, Gabriel or other non-OEM) shocks, I found this a bit strange as these are all pretty standard companies. He told me to go for grey market Hyundai shocks for santro and was ready to give 6 months warranty for that. I don't know if I can discuss the pricing etc. in this forum or not, so I will avoid that for now

But my issue is how do I make sure that in fact I am getting the right shocks and not some local ones. Also, I am based in Gurgaon, so if someone can give a reference for a local workshop for this work that would be much appreciated.

I would appreciate any feedback from members about the shock absorbers for santro. I don't want to get this done at the Hyundai Service Centre mainly b'cos of the cost issue.

Regards,
Sandeep
Old 27th January 2009, 11:57   #2
BANNED

Any good car parts dealer should have them. Even in Kanpur these are ex-stock. With the Accent you have to order and wait for 2-3 days. You stand to save about 30-40% by not going tot he dealership.
Old 27th January 2009, 12:04   #3

thanks for your reply sir. I am getting Monroe shocks from spare parts dealer but am confused because I have been told against them by one of the reputed mechanics as stated in my earlier post.
Old 27th January 2009, 12:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

i would say stay away from aftermarket shocks or you will have lot of shocks.LOL

they usually say its new and warranty for 6 months and the cost is usually half of what branded companies like Gabriel/Monroe sell.

but these local shocks are refurbished kind of one and i dont think they will last few years like the ones that you have now.

Another line of thought is its only a 1k Rs deal,then try it.
Old 27th January 2009, 12:12   #5

I have been quoted 3k+labor for grey market OEM Hyundai Santro shocks (front & back) and Reyaz claims them to be new.
Old 27th January 2009, 13:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

Reyaz or anyone else will claim the same as they always do.

3k is tad too high to be wasted and with least peace of mind.

i would suggest you to go any good Hyundai A$$ and get everything checked and get the estimate.

Compare it with what Reyaz gave you and decide.
Old 27th January 2009, 13:22   #7

simply sunny01, thanks for your input. So, you would suggest not to go for branded shocks also like gabriel, monroe etc.?

Most Viewed