Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2009, 16:17   #1
BHPian

Two problems with my Ikon Flair

My Ikon is a late-2004 model, 55K kms done. I seem to have two problems which Ford guys have not been able to fix.

A/c Water Diverter Valve
Posted the problem here, but repeating it, since I didn't get any responses.

In my experience, the Ikon AC thermostat valve remains trouble free for 6 to 8 months, and then starts giving the hot air problem. I have replaced it twice, and then learned to live with it.

I notice that the problem of hot air happens only if I'm driving in heavy traffic (i.e. driving in 1st~2nd gear, lots of stops and starts). Once the hot air starts blowing, this is how I fix it.
1) If AC thermostat is not in full cold (min position), move it there.
2) Revv the engine a couple of times.

So far it has worked without fail. If I revv a few times, the AC returns to normal cooling.

Also, lately I have noted that even without turning the thermostat from the min position this problem occurs. When the car is switched off in a traffic lightm AC off, and then I turn the ignition on again, and turn on the AC (thermostat in min position), briefly, a whiff of smoke or fog blows from the AC vents, and hot air problem starts.

Of course, I revv the engine, and the problem disappears. But, I would like ot know... is this smoke/fog thing dangerous? I have learnt to live with the hot air problem, but this smoke thing is scary.

Central Locking gone crazy
Like most other sedans, the Ikon has the automatic locking & unlocking when the ignition is switched ON/OFF respectively. The problem is that whenever the lock is locked, it gets unlocked immediately. It refuses to stay in the locked position. I have to again push the lock manually, and that too does not work (it again gets unlocked on it's own). This continues for 3 to 5 times depending on the mood of the car until it finally stays locked. This is not a big issue, but then I am now afraid of giving my car to valet parkers. Has anyone faced this issue on their Ikons?
Funny thing is that when I complained to Ford, and took the car to Metro Ford for repairs, she behaved well, and the technician could not even see the problem! When I drove back home and parked, she started mis-behaving again!!
Old 3rd February 2009, 13:47   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post

Like most other sedans, the Ikon has the automatic locking & unlocking when the ignition is switched ON/OFF respectively. The problem is that whenever the lock is locked, it gets unlocked immediately. It refuses to stay in the locked position.
Hi,
The Ford Ikon had got 2 master actuators for the fornt doors, and 2 at the rear. Each master actuator has a a switch built inside the housing. The switch is like a toggle type switch, where it toggles to the other direction depending on whether the actuator is moving forward or backward. This linear motion is coupled the locking mechanism on each door.

Now what happens is while you manually (or with key) you move the master actuator, the switch sends a signal to the control unit which actuates the other actuators to move in synchronous with the one sending the signal. In case you lock (or unlock) with a remote, the signal required for actuation is received from the command received from the remote. Usually the signal from the actuator switch is a ground

What could have happened in your case is that the control unit is always receiving a signal to unlock the system. In physical terms it would mean that either one of the switches got stuck and sending the unlock signal permanently, or the wire carrying the signal is open somewhere and getting grounded. I dont see a fault in the controller because you said that the system works sometimes.

If you are a DIY freak, you open the front door panels and disconnect the cable connectors which lead to the actuator. Connect one of them and see if things are ok. If so check the other one. You should be able to fix it. Else any electrician would be able to do that.

Cheers
-Ilango
Old 7th February 2009, 15:44   #3
BHPian

Thanks Ilango! I'd probably be able to figure out the problem with the wiring, since I've done a lot of electrical wiring before, but I'm not confident about opening the car door, so would have to take it to metro ford, and tell them what you said.
Old 7th February 2009, 23:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

You are saying that when you rev it couple of times, the AC works fine.
1. Check the AC compressor clutch.
2. Relays
3. Fans and its wiring for the smoke issue.
Old 8th February 2009, 10:03   #5
BHPian

Ask the Ford guys to check the temperature sensor (or thermostat) located near the point where the AC diverter valve is located - it might have become dirty. Clean it and it should be fine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks