Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2009, 11:30   #1
BHPian

Left leg position while driving

Hi Guys,
Earlier I used to drive a 2002 MPFI zen, it has a low seating position and hence I would pull the seats back and while driving, I would always keep my left leg over the clutch, without pressing it. I would only press while changing gears.

Now that I have bought my Indica Vista, it has a high seating position and I continue to leave my leg on top of the clutch. This cause severe pain to me after driving for about an hour or 2 in the city.

Hence I wanted to ask you guys, if you also do the same thing or keep the left leg on the floor and only while changing gears would you keep you leg on the clutch?

Please advise.

Cheers,
Nitin
Old 4th February 2009, 11:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

I guess I wouldn't have that problem since i always take my foot off the clutch when i am not shifting gears.

Solution would be to get a dead pedal fixed beside the clutch pedal & rest your foot on that while not shifting gears.
Old 4th February 2009, 11:43   #3
BHPian

I have clutch foot rest in my Palio 1.2, just check at the extream left side of the clutch if Vista has the same.
Old 4th February 2009, 11:46   #4
BHPian

While driving around i do not rest my foot on the clutch lever. I place my left foot on towards the left of the clutch lever ( On the floor )

I place my foot on the clutch lever only when i need to change the gear or when i am in heavy traffic !!

Last edited by jango : 4th February 2009 at 11:47.
Old 4th February 2009, 11:54   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhappy View Post
Hi Guys,

Hence I wanted to ask you guys, if you also do the same thing or keep the left leg on the floor and only while changing gears would you keep you leg on the clutch?

Please advise.

Cheers,
Nitin
Hi Nitin,

It depends on your comfort level, your reflex time, etc. While trying out the various positions of the left leg, ensure you are able to get to the clutch with the minimum response time.

I keep my leg on the floor.
Old 4th February 2009, 13:12   #6
BHPian

There is rarely any situation where the left leg needs to respond fast. It is the right leg which should handle all the emergency situations. If the left leg is on the clutch, in panic situations the clutch might also get pressed and disengage the engine, which is not good.

It is best to keep the left leg on the floor, though it may take time to get used to it.
Old 4th February 2009, 13:24   #7
BHPian

get an "auto clutch " for your car , then you can keep your left leg where ever and how ever you want .
Old 4th February 2009, 14:16   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
get an "auto clutch " for your car , then you can keep your left leg where ever and how ever you want .
Won't that be an expensive option on a manual car? If not, can you please provide some details regarding the same?

Don't even keep your leg on the clutch even if you are not pressing it! It might so happen that you are clutch riding even without realizing and will lead to early clutch wear!
Old 4th February 2009, 14:23   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
Won't that be an expensive option on a manual car? If not, can you please provide some details regarding the same?

Don't even keep your leg on the clutch even if you are not pressing it! It might so happen that you are clutch riding even without realizing and will lead to early clutch wear!
i think there is a thread somewhere which talks abt this , just look around and as far as i know its not expensive, its just a switch which electromechanically actuates the clutch.
Old 4th February 2009, 16:32   #10
BHPian

Thanks for your responses guys!
I will start practicing the placement of foot on the floor and see how it goes.

Cheers,
Nitin
Old 4th February 2009, 16:44   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I guess I wouldn't have that problem since i always take my foot off the clutch when i am not shifting gears.

Solution would be to get a dead pedal fixed beside the clutch pedal & rest your foot on that while not shifting gears.
Any pics of this modification. How much will it cost and where in Noida I can get it done.
I am also facing same issue in my chevy spark!!
Old 4th February 2009, 17:39   #12
A.R
BHPian

I put my foot on a small square plastic thing on to the extreme left with a small red light blinking when I switch on/off the car. I think its the Nippon security system. Not bad I think?
Old 4th February 2009, 18:55   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.R View Post
I put my foot on a small square plastic thing on to the extreme left with a small red light blinking when I switch on/off the car. I think its the Nippon security system. Not bad I think?
Bit strange that your security system sits alongside the clutch leaver. In my spark its concealed inside the dash.
Old 4th February 2009, 19:30   #14
Senior - BHPian

The Santro used to have a small rest next to the clutch so it was very convenient to keep my left foot there. In the OHC, I just keep it to the left of the clutch, mostly resting on my heel.
Old 4th February 2009, 19:52   #15
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

For the auto clutch thing, please take a look at the following:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-automate.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/access...ch-review.html

The easier and cheaper would be to get the habit of putting your left foot on the floor or to fix a dead pedal!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks