Team-BHP - Indica V2 Turbo - Turbo Failure
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Indica V2 Turbo - Turbo Failure (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/53080-indica-v2-turbo-turbo-failure.html)

Guys this is more of a travel experience but thought it should be helpul for others to know and this would be an appropriate section to post on.

Last week me and my friend had to go to Kishangarh which is approx. 25Kms before Ajmer, its sort of a marble "mandi", you get all sorts of marbles and granite for construction and decor purpose. My friend had to get quotes and take samples for business purpose.

My friend uses an Opel Astra '97 as a daily driver and the Indica is usually standing at his home as its a reliable car and if anybody at home needs it, can take it out anytime. It is usually driven once a week and maybe a long trip out of station to Agra or Jaipur in couple of months.A couple of days prior to the trip he was driving the Indica and it was making a strange loud hissing noise, as if there was a leak in the Turbo plumbing.
i suggested him to get the Turbo and plumbing checked from TATA. but due to lack of time he could'nt do so as he was on a tighjt schedule. He kept driving the car in the same condition for the next day aswell, but again could'nt make it to TATA because of his schedule. He always makes sure the car is in for service before a long trip. But fate, it seemed, wanted us to experience the downside of not doing so.

We got out early morning at 6am for the NH-8 Delhi-Jaipur highway. The noise was consistent but did'nt cause any problems. My friend was driving and kept up a constant pace of 80-100KMPH with bursts of 120KMPH at times when the streach ahead was empty and safe.
We reached Kishangarh around 11ish, stopped at a dhaba for a breakfast cum lunch as we were very hungry.
After a good stomach full lunch when we got back to the car, it did'nt start at one go. This car usually takes just one twist of the self to fire up. We continued till about the 5th or 6th when it finally fired up.
We never bothered about it and thought that the engine was running continuously with just a break for 10mins before we reached here so might be some connection with the car not starting, just making fun of the fact that the car also needed rest just that it was'nt willing to start because it wanted to rest a little longer.:D But somewhere inside i had a gut feeling that this was a signal of something big comming up.

Moving forward, the business deal went through smoothly and just as we were ready to leave around 3:30pm, the problem surfaced again and this time the car refused to start after multiple cranks. We got hold of a mechanic and he took out the glow plugs which had a lot of carbon deposits, we thought this could definately be the problem, the fellow replaced them with new Bosch one for Rs.1500. I noticed the air-filter marker was red and asked the mechanic to clean the air-filter, to my shock, the air-box had cakes of dust which had turned solid like medium sized rocks and approx. 1/4th of the air-box was dust cakes. The air-filter was in pieces with enough spaces to suck in dust. It struck to me that what if some of the dust was sucked into the turbo and if so the turbo could be damaged.
But after the heater/glow plugs were changed the car started after 3-4 cranks and we headed out. Just as we stopped at the 1st toll plaza, which was 17kms from Jaipur. The car stalled and refused to start. We pushed the car to start it and the amount of smoke comming out of the tail-pipe was unbelievable, it was so much that the cloud behind the car was so thick that we could'nt see the traffic behind us.
Bluish White Smoke=trouble.
We were stuck at a place were it seemed we are far away from civilization and when we tried to find a mechanic we only found people who could repair Jeeps.
So we decided to move on as we had no option and went ahead with blinkers and lamps glowing and unwantingly blinding traffic behind us.

After 7kms with my eyes scanning for a decent worshop, i spotted Vinayak Motors....

To be Contd.......

Continuing from earlier....

Vinayak Motors is a well sort out, well equiped workshop for multiple brands, and at a place where most of the garages were dedicated for Jeeps, this workshop was like a well for a thirsty nomad in a desert(Keeping Jaipur, Rajasthan in mind; quite literaly :-D).
We stopped the car about 100m from the workshop, i ran back and told them the problem and they offered to push start the car or push it back to the workshop. The car was push started and again the blinding smoke out of the tail pipe, i was standing at the workshop watching the mechanics push the car when suddenly a group of people ran towards the car saying "aag lagi aag lagi"(fire fire!!) I almost fell to the ground laughing and when my friend who was in the car, realised the same, laughed his heart out too:uncontrol.

It was now well after 6:30PM. After the car was brought to the workshop, the story of what had happened was naratted to the mechanic and so he started with the regular checks. Of the 4 glow plugs that were changed, 1 was working and 3 were dead, they were covered with thick carbon which indicated oil in the combustion chamber, this explained the white smoke too because oil in the cylinders will give you a bluish white smoke.
I told the mechanic to check out the air-box and he was awestruck at the condition of the air-box. As i mentioned earlier, there were sand cakes in the box and the filter was in a really bad state. The mechanic immidiately said the the turbo might be at fault, after hearing the strange noise. I was amazed at the fact that this fellow knew about turbo and its functioning because frakly at a place like that i did'nt expect any of the people have any knowledge about turbos.
When the plumbing was removed it became evident that oil had entered the cylinders through the intake which was causing the smoke, as the pipes were covered in oil from the inside.
The intercooler(IC)was removed for cleaning and the fellow started to remove the Turbo. Upon uninstalling the turbo the fault was diagnosed.

The pin holding the fan of the turbo had broken and caused the oil feed(for lubrication of the rotor inside the turbo) to leak. The turbo was functioning but it was sucking in oil and throwing it into the cylinders. The fan might have been damaged due to sucking in some of the gravel from the air-box.

The real problem now surfaced and me and my friend were in a soup. Where do we get a turbo from in this place? Time was closing at 9PM.The workshop manager said said he could get a turbo with some KKK make, but he could only get it the next day or he said he has a used turbo from an Indigo. As Delhiites we said "Koi juggard nahi ho sakta?"(is'nt there an easier way out) to which he laughed and said "Aap Dilli wale hamesha juggard ke peeche kyu rehte ho?"(why are you delhites always after the easy way out)...we laughed and said "aap Jaipur wale nahi samjhoge!!!"(You guys from Jaipur wont understand!)(actually there are different meanings for the term "juggard" in Delhi, Delhiites should easily understand, unfortunately the same cant be explained on this forum;-D).

I noticed a Indigo cab in the workshop and got a feeling that this fellow(knowing that we are in dire straits, have no options other than take his offer for the used turbo) will be pulling out the turbo from that Indigo and plonking it into ours. He offered INR 15000 for the turbo and even after a lot of haggling just went down to INR 14000 but we did manage to include engine oil in the deal. IMO we did manage a good deal in that price as a new turbo would cost around approx. INR 35000-40000 from TATA, i am guessing, but we did'nt have any option other than that at 9:30PM 260-300kms away from home, as we had to reach delhi by morning.

Anyways, the job got started and the install went smoothly, the only thing i could check with the used turbo that the fan was operating smoothly and it did'nt have any play to indicate its not broken or damaged. In the mean while, i suggested to check the entire intermediate piping of the exhaust and the end-can. The intermediate pipes were dripping oil like anything and had to be washed. The cat-con was almost choked so the internals had to be broken with a rod. The mid-muffler, kept dripping good quantity of oil even after repeated washing.

Finally the air-filter was replaced and fresh engine oil was poured, the used engine oil showed evidence of dust entering the chamber as what came out was black and almost pasty in consistency.Oil was changed just 2000kms earlier so there was no chance it could have been that burnt. And whatever came out had very little, the mechanic said that had we ran the car for more kms the engine would have surely seized, i believed him looking at the condition and amount of oil left.

does a new turbo cost that much? the DLS turbo is just 15k more expensive than the plain DLS indica, so I've always assumed that the cost was actually lesser!

After a quick test drive we thanked the mechanics and store manager for their generous help, as they stayed back well after their usual time and got us going. After a good meal at a dhaba at 12:30AM we headed back for Delhi.

The car is still running good, but my friend was never happy with TATA's quality so plans to sell the car off. It was his fault entirely due to his neglegence with checking the air-filter and even after knowing that inspite of a strange noise is coming from the vehicle, he did'nt get it checked before setting out on a 650-700kms long roundtrip on a highway. It was a lesson learnt the hardway.

Hope this experience helps other here.

I am sorry i dont have any pictures to support the thread.
Mods : I appologise for splitting the thread in parts, i just thought it would be easier to read.

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn (Post 1162560)
does a new turbo cost that much? the DLS turbo is just 15k more expensive than the plain DLS indica, so I've always assumed that the cost was actually lesser!

i had no clue of the cost and till date i dont know how much would the Turbo cost, i just assumed that when a petrol car is turbo-charged the entire cost of the install is usually more than a lakh INR, in which the turbo alone would cost approx 30-35K or more.

I would blame it on your friend.
I would not even drive around in a car if its making unwanted noises,forget about a long highway drive.

Same thing happened to my colleagues in office they managed to blow a Ford Ikon flairs engine.:Frustrati

Reason-Lack of Knowledge/attention,and carelesness

Quote:

Originally Posted by akshay4587 (Post 1162642)
I would blame it on your friend.
I would not even drive around in a car if its making unwanted noises,forget about a long highway drive.

Same thing happened to my colleagues in office they managed to blow a Ford Ikon flairs engine.:Frustrati

Reason-Lack of Knowledge/attention,and carelesness

Exactly Bro! My friend after the incident started to question Tata's reliability and quality of parts but i told him that why on earth are you even talking about those things when its your fault that you did'nt care to check the car before coming out on this trip and you did'nt get the car checked at Tata for the noise that was comming when i told you that the noise seems like its comming from the Turbo.

I have been given a diagnosis of oil leak in my turbo. My car is about 100k kms and 10 years old, so i think it was expected. Any idea how much an new turbo costs? 35k for a car that has hardly 1l resale is a tough ask.

I saw this
http://www.industrybuying.com/turboc...Indica%20turbo
I am waiting for an update from my mech, but weighing my options

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn (Post 4310785)
I have been given a diagnosis of oil leak in my turbo. My car is about 100k kms and 10 years old, so i think it was expected. Any idea how much an new turbo costs? 35k for a car that has hardly 1l resale is a tough ask.

I saw this
http://www.industrybuying.com/turboc...Indica%20turbo
I am waiting for an update from my mech, but weighing my options

Indica turbo is repairable, it will cost you 7k max for repairing of turbo.

Workshop came back with a 18k quote for new turbo and 12k for overhaul
Contacted TEL, they said 7K for overhaul, 9.x for a remanufactured unit, and 12.x for a new, but they dont have new in stock.

Is buying remanufactured ok? I have not had good experiences with my power steering overhauls, though FIP overhauls have been ok

@ Greenhorn,
I think re-manufactured should be ok,its completely tested and should work at par.

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn (Post 4312775)
Contacted TEL, they said 7K for overhaul, 9.x for a remanufactured unit, and 12.x for a new, but they dont have new in stock.

Is buying remanufactured ok? I have not had good experiences with my power steering overhauls, though FIP overhauls have been ok

Remanufactured has a lot of quality variations. Ask the cabbies about where to buy a good unit from. And insist on a warranty.

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn (Post 4312775)

Apparently it was not TEL that i contacted, but one of their dealers called turbo power, and they offered no warranty - not for any of the options.
Subsequently contacted another dealer, who had a new piece in stock, but was a bit hard to find.
Figured I would contact TEL directly who asked me to contact KRS.
now KRS was already suggested by nitrous, but he was not sure if they were still in the turbo business. He connected me with the right folks, and they've taken in the turbo for investigation, as they think that the turbo does not look that oily, and suspect the workshop may be exaggerating things.
Will find out tomorrow!
Indica V2 Turbo - Turbo Failure-23915998_1958793630802946_9078683634934309342_n.jpg

Indica V2 Turbo - Turbo Failure-24059273_1958793597469616_3275046718517819185_n.jpg

For once, I am happy I have a low tech diesel, because the cost of the turbo is a fraction of just about everything else :D

got my turbo back. Initially they just serviced it and changed the seals, but later decided to change the core as well. Overall came to 7.6k, much cheaper than my workshop's estimate!
Got a 6 month warranty card too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn (Post 4314270)
got my turbo back. Initially they just serviced it and changed the seals, but later decided to change the core as well. Overall came to 7.6k, much cheaper than my workshop's estimate!
Got a 6 month warranty card too.

Hi Greenhorn, Which workshop did you refer to? I think it will be good to know which workshop potentially over-estimated?