Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2009, 18:02   #1
BHPian

Software and ECUs in automobiles

A modern premium automobile has more software code running it, than the latest generation fighter jets. A new S-class has as many ECUs as an Airbus A380. Surprised? I sure was, but this is what in article in the February issue of IEEE Spectrum says. The full article is available at the following URL:
IEEE Spectrum: This Car Runs on Code

It says a modern premium automobile contains close to 100 million lines of code, and though there have been comments on the scale of software used, i think we all accept that the automobile today largely runs on code.

There are issues raised concerning serviceability of these cars and I think its all the more relevant in India. As automobiles become more and more complex, does the requisite service infrastructure exist? More importantly are we ready to bear the service costs? I thought this is a relevant issue which the forum can debate.

Mods: I tried searching various threads, please move this thread if this section is not appropriate.

Last edited by Volt : 8th February 2009 at 18:03. Reason: typo
Old 8th February 2009, 19:06   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A modern premium automobile has more software code running it, than the latest generation fighter jets. A new S-class has as many ECUs as an Airbus A380. Surprised?
Surprised about the S-Class and A380 part. Fighter jets are born and bred for a very specific purpose, and they have to be incredibly lean to fulfill it.
Old 8th February 2009, 20:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt View Post
A modern premium automobile has more software code running it, than the latest generation fighter jets. A new S-class has as many ECUs as an Airbus A380. Surprised? I sure was, but this is what in article in the February issue of IEEE Spectrum says. The full article is available at the following URL:
IEEE Spectrum: This Car Runs on Code

It says a modern premium automobile contains close to 100 million lines of code, and though there have been comments on the scale of software used, i think we all accept that the automobile today largely runs on code.

There are issues raised concerning serviceability of these cars and I think its all the more relevant in India. As automobiles become more and more complex, does the requisite service infrastructure exist? More importantly are we ready to bear the service costs? I thought this is a relevant issue which the forum can debate.

Mods: I tried searching various threads, please move this thread if this section is not appropriate.
A plan is designed to do a certain task with very little variables in the sky, The computer is used for fly by wire and life support, there are back up in the form of another computer. What the article says is that the code and Micro controller number in cars is higher than aircraft, but it does not say anything about the complexity of the computer itself and the code.
The system in a is modular small cheap controller for individual tasks.
One Advantage this is there will be trained [read educated] people working on once car apart from A.S.S. same happened in the rest of the world.

Last edited by dinar : 8th February 2009 at 20:10.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks