Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2009, 11:08   #1
BHPian

Disc brake clean-up/change for OHC

For the last two months or so now, at speed of 100km/h or more when breaks are applied, there is high vibration that disappears when the speed comes down to about 60km/h. I understand this is casued by 'Warping' of disc. I need advice on the following:

1. The disc can be examined for any rust or uneven surface and if only a service will be sufficient, this would be the simplest.

2. If I need to change the disc, can I opt for ventilated disc instead of the regular one in OHC? Given Mumbai climate, will ventilated disc catch rush faster than the regular one (in the holes)?

3. Are there cars whose disc can fit into OHC well & will enhance breaking?

4. Does bigger disc mean better breaking without any other damage to the car? If yes, what size will fit into OHC?

5. Since OHC breaks are not so great, are there any enhancement (not requiring major changes or holes in the pocket) that will help?

6. Most importantly, have I understood the problem right and if yes, an expert to trust with the job in Mumbai
Old 11th February 2009, 14:32   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by weejai View Post
there is high vibration that disappears when the speed comes down to about 60km/h. I understand this is casued by 'Warping' of disc.
Yup, basically your discs have an uneven surface. Most likely cause is that you didn't change your brake pads on time. Cheap & recommended solution : Get the brake discs "skimmed" and a set of new pads. If you want to upgrade your brakes, have a look at this thread. Lotsa useful information over in that discussion.
Old 11th February 2009, 15:54   #3
BHPian

Hi,

without starting any fights here, I wanted to ask you a quick question! What makes you say that the ohc brakes are not good? IMO they are among the best provided your car has good shoes, effortless braking. The stock tyres are not that great, but the braking is kick@$$.
Maybe you are feeling the pinch because your brake shoes/ disk has gone!!

Cheers
Shrey
Quote:
For the last two months or so now, at speed of 100km/h or more when breaks are applied, there is high vibration that disappears when the speed comes down to about 60km/h. I understand this is casued by 'Warping' of disc. I need advice on the following:

1. The disc can be examined for any rust or uneven surface and if only a service will be sufficient, this would be the simplest.

2. If I need to change the disc, can I opt for ventilated disc instead of the regular one in OHC? Given Mumbai climate, will ventilated disc catch rush faster than the regular one (in the holes)?

3. Are there cars whose disc can fit into OHC well & will enhance breaking?

4. Does bigger disc mean better breaking without any other damage to the car? If yes, what size will fit into OHC?

5. Since OHC breaks are not so great, are there any enhancement (not requiring major changes or holes in the pocket) that will help?

6. Most importantly, have I understood the problem right and if yes, an expert to trust with the job in Mumbai

Last edited by ssjr0498 : 11th February 2009 at 15:56.
Old 11th February 2009, 16:11   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Agree with GTO. Check out the thread as well.
Cross drilling should not affect the life.
But all depends on your driving style. If you are into normal driving, then the OEM brakes are good. Just get the rear brakes serviced and maybe replace the front disc and pads with again an OEM one. ssjr0498 is right. Stock brakes for stock engine is adequate.
Only if you are high revving with start stop dashes should you consider upgrading.
Old 11th February 2009, 17:09   #5
BHPian

Went through the thread, was informative, though I need more info on some of the specific questions.

Shrey: I am unhappy with the breaks probably because as you have said, they have worn out and i'm unable to appreciate them. I'll experience the difference afte the change

Tejas: I'm into normal driving and at high speeds, it is calculated driving and never impulsive with nothing to prove to others on the road. Since I was getting it serviced, I thought it was good to know if ther was a better option available.
Old 11th February 2009, 17:32   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

I see in your signature that you have a 1.3 OHC with no performance mods. Suggest you service the brakes and replace with OEM ones if required.
Old 11th February 2009, 17:39   #7
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Drilling brakes will cause micro-fractures in the rotor. Not advised by some respected tuners here. Getting better pads and ventilation should be enough to give much better braking.
Old 11th February 2009, 17:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

weejai,

I dont think you need to change the discs. Just get a good service done the brakes, skim the discs and replace your old set of pads with a new one. That should be enough. Unless you are in for some really high speed driving which I dont think you are, I would not recommend a brake upgrade. Stick to OEM.
Old 13th February 2009, 16:59   #9
BHPian

Checked with Linkway:

New Break Pads: 3500
Disc check for skimming: 500
Labor: 1000
Add Tax

Checked local mechanic:

New Pads: between 1300 to 3500
Skimming: 500
Labor: 500

Checked RoadWrx, the multibrand workshop

New orginal pads: 3500 (20% discount on that)
Skimming: 350
Labor: 500 (includes rear break check and cleaninng)

Took appointment with Roadwrx (walkable distance from my home) for tomorrow. I should be able to share the difference by next week.
Old 16th February 2009, 09:20   #10
BHPian

Fixed

Got the discs skimmed, the break pads of all four wheels had worn out, got all four replaced, the braking seem to be better now. I'll know when I get a chance to drive at high speeds.

Also, I was told that a local break pad branded 'Elite' costs only Rs.650. I did not see it good to take chance with the breaks, so went with the original ones.

Front break pads: 3500
Back break pads: 1800
Break liner: 500

The prices above are including tax. A 'free' car wash was given and some 'chota-mota' fixes here and there.
Old 16th February 2009, 09:59   #11
BHPian

what, OHC pads are 3.5k :o
Old 16th February 2009, 10:14   #12
Senior - BHPian

Well Done..i am sure you have changed you opinion about the OHC breaking now....3.5k sounds a bit too much..but now that its done forget it.
Old 16th February 2009, 10:26   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got the discs skimmed, the break pads of all four wheels had worn out, got all four replaced, the braking seem to be better now. I'll know when I get a chance to drive at high speeds.

Also, I was told that a local break pad branded 'Elite' costs only Rs.650. I did not see it good to take chance with the breaks, so went with the original ones.

Front break pads: 3500
Back break pads: 1800
Break liner: 500

The prices above are including tax. A 'free' car wash was given and some 'chota-mota' fixes here and there.
When did the OHC get rear brake pads?

Anyways good to see the brake service completed. Where did you get it done though?

3.5 is high for brake pads though.
Old 16th February 2009, 10:44   #14
BHPian

Well, the invoice does mention that. Also, I'd asked them to give me the parts that were replaced and I have them with me. I'll post the pic so let me know what it is called.

The prices, i did post the prices quoted to me here, since nobody said anything, I guessed they must be right. The servicing was done at RoadWorx, or Nummer Eins Motors, as they are known @ Andheri - E.
Old 16th February 2009, 11:06   #15
Senior - BHPian

this is what i paid for my stuff....another 300 for skimming...and the rear break service was covered in the full car service.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post1118221

Most Viewed