Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2009, 17:37   #1
Senior - BHPian

CNG Oil Change - Regular or any CNG specials?

hi guys,

its time to change the engine oil of my Indica CNG.. went to IBP pump recently and saw a "special" engine oil for CNG driven vehicles placed in the racks. never had the time to look into it, but there was nothing special.

so, any regular semi-synthetic oil would do (I prefer mobil) or there is some special kind of oil required for CNG engines?

any inputs?
Old 11th February 2009, 17:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

Regularly using Castrol Magnatec, so far so good !!
Old 11th February 2009, 18:00   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thanks ash.. i too think it wouldn't make much of a difference!
Old 12th February 2009, 01:01   #4
BHPian

Using regular castrol magnatec oil in my baleno CNG
Old 6th January 2011, 21:50   #5
BHPian

Re: CNG Oil Change - Regular or any CNG specials?

oil with additives to control additional nitration and oxidation due to cng in petrol engine ought to be used instead of a regular oil. unfortunately in india since cng is dominently used by taxis / transport vehicles etc. ( who naturally want to use the cheapest oil possible ) its not possible to get a SJ /SM /SL API rated oil specially formulated for cng vehicles.
The best rating available is probly API SF. ( Not even SG ) which is serious degrading of engine oil required for any newer gen. gasoline engine.
So in case you happen to use a CNG special , make sure you atleast use the required grade and reduce the drain interval ( say 5000 km NO MATTER what the pundits say about cng prolonging engine oil life and all. )
It may not be pumping so much carbon into the oil as petrol , but the extra heat, loss of lubricity , lean air flow shall surely cause degradation of the additives effectively reducing engine life.
I have faced this dilemna in both my cars running on gas -accent 1.5 on lpg and logan 1.6 on cng.
Have even used the HP gasolene to semi synthetic / synthetic blends and believe me they all appear equally worse for wear at the end of 5/6 k.
HIGHNOON is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2016, 11:56   #6
BHPian

Yesterday, I bought Mobil 20w50 for Santro CNG which has clocked about 130k kms. On the label it say, specifically for CNG/LPG cars. Now I'm a bit hesitant to use 20w50, normally I have been using 5w30 oil grade.

Any suggestions are welcome .

Many thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 17:52   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
Yesterday, I bought Mobil 20w50 for Santro CNG which has clocked about 130k kms. On the label it say, specifically for CNG/LPG cars. Now I'm a bit hesitant to use 20w50, normally I have been using 5w30 oil grade.

Any suggestions are welcome .

Many thanks
So hows's been your experience with extra thick 20w50 grade oil in CNG Santro? Would you like to elaborate and share reason for using overly thick oils?
Old 21st October 2019, 20:39   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
Yesterday, I bought Mobil 20w50 for Santro CNG which has clocked about 130k kms. On the label it say, specifically for CNG/LPG cars. Now I'm a bit hesitant to use 20w50, normally I have been using 5w30 oil grade
Many thanks
Hi,
An engine oil more suited to handle the extra heat due the combustion of the drier gas shall be better for your car which has already done in excess of a lac kilometres .Though a oil thicker than 5w30 shall be better suited ; i still feel 20w50 is too thick for this generation of cars . Maybe ,you can next time try the 15w40 from Shell( helix HX5) SN rated . It is available on amazon for around 850/- for 3.5 litres. The shell HX7 10W-40 is also a good oil.
That is my own opinion ,though maruti was using 0w-20 in my CNG ertiga. It used to evaporate rapidly as it could not handle the extra heat. I suspect that it was putting a lot of extra load on the coolant also.
The extra heat would cause more oxidation and nitration of the oil , degrading it rather quickly and would cause valve seat recession.
It is advisable to use a oil of additives and thickness to counter this effect.
It is fashionable or should i say marketable , to brand oils as being suitable for all fuel types. But in principle it is not correct. All the three fuels would need specific oil tailored with correct thickness and additives for its engines.
Also if your daily run involves lot of city traffic it is imperative to have a reduced oil change interval if you do not wish to degrade your engine performance .
HIGHNOON is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks