Team-BHP - Wind noise or Aerodynamic noise
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Wind noise or Aerodynamic noise (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/5331-wind-noise-aerodynamic-noise.html)

Not too sure whether i named the topic correctly.. please do correct.. if required after reading the content....

I am referring to the noise of the gushing wind outside the car when i am driving at speeds of 70+ kmph.... in a crude manner i would call it "aerodynamic noise".... it effectively is the noise of the car cutting thru the wind.... somethin like "WHOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"

and yes.. this is inspite of all windows being rolled up

I used to get the is noise while driving my zen, but i thot.. its coz its an old car..... so maybe.... but i now face the same in my baleno too....

I hope i have been able to put across my thoughts clearly.... if so... do you guys hear such a noise while driving....

or is that this is standard.. will be there types....

Expert opinion please.....

roll the windows up!!!
yes vivaid it is the turbulance caused by the vehicle...same as in all other vehicles!!
it is standard

yes it is noise your car makes while cutting thru the air...
my car has more of tyre noise though...particularly when I'm on abbrasive road patch..

definately its going against wind resistance ... will have to make some noise

yes the noise is reduced in cars such as the camry and accord due to lower drag co-eff fer example the camry has a drag co-eff of 0.29 that is because of its body design and hence it can carry through the speed with minimum loss due to resistance

well drag co-eff has no units since its a co-eff

I Baleno there are considerable rolling noises,which i have read due to bad rear suspension design.These were also present in Old Honda City due to same rear suspension design.I have also heard that Honda has changed the design completely in New Honda City.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iceman91
roll the windows up!!!

@Ice, he says he is getting this noise inspite of having all windows rolled up. To me, that is bit strange. I don't think at 70 kmph, there should be so much noise with windows rolled up.

@vivid, can you explain more about your problem?

well rx.. 70 was more off-the-cuff... never observed it so particluarly.. but u cud say 70-100....

rgds

at 70-100...getting a whooosh noise ????
well check if the windows are up all the way as in there is no gap also check it you dont have faulty window lining...

I have also experienced noise in cars fitted with luggage carriers.:)

Hi mate...

loved the way you desribed the sound..

here are some things you might wanna check...
  1. check you wiper blades...most common noise makers...
  2. your wind screen lining...check for leaks..
  3. any aftermarket stuff you might have added on the outside like an antenna, spoilers, lips, spliters, an aftermarket front bar/bumber etc..also common.
This should solve the problem if its not a factory defect.

note: please check your radio as well !!!

On the flip side: if the noise still persists, TURN THE RADIO UP!!! (should overpower the wooooosshshhsh sound!!)

Drag is one #@$%##$....(EVERYONE hates it - in relation to cars that is...or SPEED) can be solved...but requires a lot of resources......

Good luck...

I can hear a lot of wind noise in my Santro at high speeds. Sometimes at 140 kmph or higher, the right rear-view mirror closes slightly. When I roll down my window and try to put my hand out to make the adjustment, the winds on the Expressway are so strong that they sometimes push my hand back!! Have to use some muscle power -- I don't feel very safe doing this operation and fear that I might even lose control.

check the rubber lining / beading along the door and windscreen frame

Quote:

Originally Posted by rks
I can hear a lot of wind noise in my Santro at high speeds. Sometimes at 140 kmph or higher, the right rear-view mirror closes slightly. When I roll down my window and try to put my hand out to make the adjustment, the winds on the Expressway are so strong that they sometimes push my hand back!! Have to use some muscle power -- I don't feel very safe doing this operation and fear that I might even lose control.

first dont do something u feel u may get into out of control.

try to get some twine (plastic fishing thread) and get pulled into the thin bottom area swivel of mirror movement. this will arrest the mirror movement to some extent.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2fast4u
first dont do something u feel u may get into out of control.

try to get some twine (plastic fishing thread) and get pulled into the thin bottom area swivel of mirror movement. this will arrest the mirror movement to some extent.

Thanks for the info. Will try that. Actually I get the side mirror tightened every service, but this doesn't seem to work for very long.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rks
Thanks for the info. Will try that. Actually I get the side mirror tightened every service, but this doesn't seem to work for very long.

use Teflon tape or Threadseal when u plan to get it tightened next time alternatively if u know how to open it diy.