Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2009, 19:31   #1

Scorpio diesel pump timing and tuning for best performance & economy

Hi there

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried playing with the diesel pump settings and timing for better performance and economy. My scorpio also wont rev past 4000rpm, I suspect the govener is restircting this. Can someone also explain to me how to adjust the govener as I can feel the effect from 3600rpm. I dont want to rev it to 5000 but atlease would like full fuel to 4200.
Old 13th February 2009, 16:25   #2
rippergeo

Check to see if the air filter is clogged. Is it a 2.6 crde? If so, fuel pump tuning might not work. ECU manages the rail pressures and injection. Piggy back ecus or tuning box is the way forward then

Old 13th February 2009, 17:28   #3

Hi

Thanks for the reply. Its the 2.6 non crdi engine. I recently replaced the fuel filters. How do I adjust the governor on the BoschMico pump?
Old 13th February 2009, 19:04   #4
Senior - BHPian

Changing the pump settings will affect your FE and if you are not bothered about the FE then you can go ahead and experiment.

I dunno abou the pump settings in Scorpio but in my '98 Safari, on the pump there is a lever and two settings - advance & retard.

If the lever is moved towards advance, then more fuel, resulting in better pick-up and lots of black smoke..
Old 13th February 2009, 19:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

Please do not mess with your scorpio's fuel pump settings. It may lead to dire results(such as over revving, black smoke, starting problem, stalling when there is excessive load on engine[like when turning the steering, depressing clutch etc]).

Few months ago some mechanic in the A.S.S messed with my scorp's fuel pump and i had all the above issues as the result. It took about 3 weeks and 5 trips to the A.S.S to sort it out.
Old 13th February 2009, 20:02   #6
rippergeo

the non crdi engines do perform slightly better when the fuel pump is asked to push through more fuel, but, it has to be done right and the gains are not very significant. There's some one I know,who's done it on the accent DLS(non crdi).will check with him

Old 13th February 2009, 23:52   #7
BHPian

It is better not to do any modifications in the pumps. The company settings will be ideal.You might get better pick up if you do necessary adjustments but it will burn more fuel and results in black smoke.

Mico bosch pumps are better for sudden acceleration when compared to the lucas pumps.Since you have mico-bosch pump better leave it alone.
Old 15th February 2009, 05:10   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB-Sting View Post
Hi there

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried playing with the diesel pump settings and timing for better performance and economy. My scorpio also wont rev past 4000rpm, I suspect the govener is restircting this. Can someone also explain to me how to adjust the govener as I can feel the effect from 3600rpm. I dont want to rev it to 5000 but atlease would like full fuel to 4200.

MB,

First of all, you have to choose what you want: performance or economy. Unfortunately you can't have both.

If you want more performance, increase the amount of fuel. If you want economy, leave the pump calibration stock, since this is what the factory setting is all about (economy).

I have a non-crde scorpio motor in my Jeep, and I have calibrated the fuel pump to about 5-10% higher, along with +25% flow injectors. The power is great and I get plenty of black diesel exhaust smoke. Needless to say, the economy is not so good.

If your motor is not revving up the way it should, maybe you should have the injection pump calibrated to make sure that the fuel is calibrated for the higher revs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks