Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2009, 21:15   #16
Senior - BHPian

Idling for a minute or so is always better after starting the car and before turning it off at the end of the day. Also don't turn on the AC immediately after starting the car. Wait for about 10mins or so..

BTW, aint there other threads on this topic?
Old 20th May 2009, 21:49   #17
BHPian

I do Idle my Carbed Maruti-800 / Swift Dzire before starting off on the road & find the Engine is a lot more smoother as compared to straight away switching on the engine & starting off on the road.

I have following queries in this regard to the experts:

1. In the MPFI Engines (Swift Dzire), can we Switch ON the AC as soon as we start the engine when the engine is warming up ?
2. Will it have adverse effect on the longevity of the Engine ?
3. By Normal practice i Switch ON the AC after the car has run 1 to 2 Kms & the engine is at optimum operating temparature, is it right?

Last edited by sharma_sanjeevi : 20th May 2009 at 21:55.
Old 21st May 2009, 02:31   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Do search around here on TBHP, and you will find if it is necessary. But what is necessary is to search before you post ! There is a wealth of information here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247 View Post
BTW, aint there other threads on this topic?
Check out the below link where this has been discussed already, it is pretty informative

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...cts-added.html
Old 21st May 2009, 02:37   #19
BHPian

^^ It is OKay to switch on the AC as soon as u start the engine in MPFI cars. but it's found to be more effective if u switch it on after driving 1 KM with windows rooled down so that the hot air can get out. (only if cabin's internal temp is higher than the outside)
Old 21st May 2009, 10:54   #20
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharma_sanjeevi View Post
By Normal practice i Switch ON the AC after the car has run 1 to 2 Kms & the engine is at optimum operating temparature, is it right?
This is a good technique to follow, remember for the AC to work effectively, the engine must be warmed up for the heat exchange to take place. Switching on the AC 2 or 3 minutes after start up is recommended.

Cheers,
gpa
Old 21st May 2009, 11:05   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
This is a good technique to follow, remember for the AC to work effectively, the engine must be warmed up for the heat exchange to take place. Switching on the AC 2 or 3 minutes after start up is recommended.

Cheers,
gpa
@motionfreak & gpa,

Thanks for sharing the views, that is the exact practice i am following with regards to Switching ON the AC only after the engine is at optimum operating temparature with windows rolled down for letting the hot air out, as pointed out by motionfreak as around 9 to 9:30am is the time when i usually take out the car & it is directly under the sun & is hot, as we dont have stilt parking in our society.

Wanted to confirm this with you guys that am i following the correct procedure or not.

Last edited by sharma_sanjeevi : 21st May 2009 at 11:06.
Old 21st May 2009, 11:48   #22
BANNED

I relegiously idle my cars for 3 to 4 minutes before starting off in the mornings. This has been my practice ever since I started driving. Also I switch on the AC only after the nearest BP pump which is 1km away from my home. Though not an expert, I think it will be better for the engine in the long run.
Cheers
Dilip Kumar
Old 21st May 2009, 16:50   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun911 View Post
Check out the below link where this has been discussed already, it is pretty informative

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...cts-added.html
The link that you gave pretty definitively says Idling is not required. Well, my car is Turbo IC Indica. Do I need to idle or not?

Normally, I don't. I just start and move off. And I just stop and switch off. I even switch off-on if traffic light will keep me in red for 30 sec or more. What is the verdict? I'm confused.

Moreover, what does idling at stopping mean? does it mean keeping the engine running for some time even after the car comes to a standstill before turning off?

Some mechanics advised me to throttle high for a few seconds before turning off, apparently this charges the battery. I don't do this as well.
Old 21st May 2009, 18:55   #24
BHPian

Idling before turing the engine off is a good practice. It is done so that the turbo can stop spooling. No need to rev up your indica before switching off the engine. As you're again pumping up more oil into the turbo so you will need to wait extra 1 min or so before switching off the engine.

Idling for a diesel engine at start and stop is a must. Before starting off, it lets the oil rotate in the whole engine and also allows oil to reach engine and turbo so that it reaches optimum level of operation. In modern diesels, 1 min of idling at start and stop will be good.
Old 21st May 2009, 19:16   #25
Senior - BHPian

On cold start , the engine starts rev'ving from about 1700rpm in my mpfi WagonR. I usually wait till it drops below the 1000 mark before i start off or turn on the AC and drive it easy (usually below 2500rpm) till it reaches the operating temperature. I don't let it idle while turning it off.
Old 21st May 2009, 19:21   #26
Senior - BHPian

I usually idle turbo diesels before and after as this helps in the oil to reach and drain from the turbo.
However for petrol engines I hardly do this, especially on stopping.
Old 21st May 2009, 19:33   #27
BHPian

I had read somewhere that you should roll up your windows and switch on the AC to improve FE any time you travel at speeds more than 60kmph as the drag increases significantly above 60kmph. I do let my car idle for about 30 seconds while i am putting on the seat belt etc and then switch on the AC once the temperature gauge shows some activity.
Old 21st May 2009, 21:49   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theodore_ftw View Post
I had read somewhere that you should roll up your windows and switch on the AC to improve FE any time you travel at speeds more than 60kmph as the drag increases significantly above 60kmph. I do let my car idle for about 30 seconds while i am putting on the seat belt etc and then switch on the AC once the temperature gauge shows some activity.
Yeh I read that too, so when on the highway I shut the windows and sunroof. Same with idle, though I idle for about a min or so.
Old 22nd May 2009, 00:15   #29
BHPian

Modern cars do not need idling for warm up that is true for fuel injected cars.That said do i idle the car.I do when the outside temp is below freezing.I wait till the tach needle comes down at idle below 750 rpm otherwis i dont do it on any of my benzs.but i do wait for a while on my f430 sp.My f430 when i turn on the key it goes through diagnostics and then it will flask OK in the speedo gauge ,then i press teh starter ,i wait for few seconds may be 10-15 second then i drive slowly till engine is warmed and then i let it loose
Old 23rd May 2009, 13:02   #30
BANNED

Another thread : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-vehicles.html
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks