Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2009, 03:49   #1
BHPian

Warming Up / Idling Engine before starting off...

Mod Note : Please continue the discussion in our Turbos & Idling Article. Thanks

Hi Guyz,

Is it really necessary to warm up the engine before starting off. This sounds silly, as I myself warm up the engine till it comes up to the "C" mark in Alto (it takes around 3-4 minutes). I have a M800 for 9 Years now and i still warm its engine by keeping it running on idle for 3-4 minutes before starting off. I know to start the cold engines we must keep the engine running idle for 2-3 minutes so that the engine oil get to its normal temperatures and can go round the cylinder block and lubricates the whole block and we can start off without a jerrrrk..

But is this really necessary ??????

Last edited by GTO : 28th January 2013 at 22:55. Reason: Adding link to turbo article
Old 13th February 2009, 08:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

idling at start or stop is unnecessary for petrol engines. Oil performs equally well in ambient conditions and at warmed up condition. 30 sec wait is required for the turbo engines for oil to reach turbo while start up and then about 1 min idling during shutoff again needed for turbo charged engine for turbo to stop spooling. The reason for this is engine oil is used in turbo for lubrication.
Old 13th February 2009, 09:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

@Dieselfan, Thanks for the information! Is this still required in the new generation diesel engines?
Old 13th February 2009, 09:34   #4
BANNED

In general warming up is not required for any modern engine. Many years ago some Alfa's used to have a temperature warning light which used to be on both when the engine was cold (at start up) and when it was too hot.

Just drive normally/gently until the engine warms up. Turbo engines (as almost all diesels are) may benefit by being idled for 15-20 seconds at after being started from cold. Keep your lead boots off till the engine is warm.
Old 13th February 2009, 11:05   #5
BHPian

I think carbureter engines should be warmed up as it takes a little while to get the air-fuel mixture correct for good power delivery. On MPFI engines, I don't think its necessary.
I warm up the Uno (petrol) for 5 mins or so every morning (cold start) and after that its smooth sailing! On the other hand, no need to warm up the petrol Viva

This is what I have learn't from my experience. Anybody can shed some more light to the topic and the technicalities involved?
Old 13th February 2009, 11:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
@Dieselfan, Thanks for the information! Is this still required in the new generation diesel engines?
Yes if it is a Turbo Diesel. Idling at stop is much more important than Idling during start up for Turbo cars.
Old 13th February 2009, 13:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...dure-cars.html
Old 13th February 2009, 14:11   #8
Senior - BHPian

Some owner manuals state that it is not necessary to warm up the engine, but advice us to move gently for the first few Km/minutes.

I feel that it is best to idle the engine for a few seconds before moving off. This can be done by first switching on the engine and then putting on the seatbelt, headphone etc. while the engine idles. This idling gets the lubrication oil up and moving before you ask the engine to do any serious work.

Cheers,
Old 13th February 2009, 18:11   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

One should avoid putting load (high revvs etc.) on a cold engine. Here is what I do : Idle for a coupla seconds and then start driving using minimum / no rpms. Every engine has an ideal temperature range for optimum performance...I normally wait until the needle gets there before shooting off into the distance.
Old 13th February 2009, 18:27   #10
BHPian

like i read somewhere , "idle" worship must be practised.
Old 13th February 2009, 18:38   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
911turbo : Is it really necessary to warm up the engine before starting off. This sounds silly, as I myself warm up the engine till it comes up to the "C" mark in Alto (it takes around 3-4 minutes).

But is this really necessary ??????
If you can do that much of warming up of your engine, one would have thought that you would search for this topic before you start a thread !!

Do search around here on TBHP, and you will find if it is necessary. But what is necessary is to search before you post ! There is a wealth of information here - and any topic that you can think of, has most possibly been discussed before.

Thanks !
Old 13th February 2009, 18:56   #12
Senior - BHPian

I wait 10 seconds on idle before I drive out. Then there is a 30-45 second wait for me right after the gate on a normal daily commute (Mom locks the gates after the car is out, obviously). By the time I'm at the bridge which I have to cross, the temperature gauge has hit the half-way mark which is the engine operating temperature. Until that point, I just potter around using the automatic's fabulous idle torque.
Old 13th February 2009, 19:43   #13
BHPian

i read in the car bibles site that the maximum damage happens at startup, but it's not because of incomplete lubrication as claimed by castrol magnatec ads.

rather the acids that are formed as a byproduct of combustion vapourise due to the heat and condense at the top of the cylinder where it's cooler. supposedly this causes the max damage. so he suggests to idle the car for around 15 seconds so that the oil gets warmed up a tad, enough to remove the acids. i could be wrong about the exact mechanism by which the damage happens but his suggestion is basically 15 seconds of idle. he claims that if all other things are ok, just this little thing can make your block last a further 100000 miles!!
Old 20th May 2009, 17:54   #14
BHPian

To idle or not to

Hi guys.
Found this in April 2009 issue of Reader's Digest(Pg no 136)
Now I know that most of the people over here idle their cars.Even I do it.
But now RD doesn't recommend doing it.What are your opinions?
Attached Thumbnails
Warming Up / Idling Engine before starting off...-scan0002.jpg  

Last edited by Jaggu : 20th May 2009 at 19:03. Reason: Please use search before opening new thread, thanks
Old 20th May 2009, 20:48   #15
Team-BHP Support

Yup partly true, FI engines are very efficient compared to carbed ones, during start stop cycle, warming up is also faster with ECU control.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks