Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2010, 17:08   #91
BHPian

If its a dual mass flywheel, then it is recommended that the flywheel be changed along with the new clutch assy, like in the diesel octy.
The dual mass flywheel has some springs/bushes which provide the damping action that get worn out.( also the wear is accelarated if the car is modded for more power /higher boost /bigger turbo)
The life of the clutch and these bushes/springs of the flywheel is more or less the same. These bushes/springs are not serviceable and so it is recommended that flywheel be changed.
Also the new clutch may damage the old flywheel and vice versa.

But the petrol engine has a normal flywheel, it is not really recommended unless the the surface of the flywheel has any scoring/grooving caused by the worn out cluth plate.

Also depending upon the extent of damage the normal flywheel can reconditioned before going in for a replacement. ( dont know if the authourised service centers do this )

my car has done 63k kms. not considering a clutch assy change upto 75-80k kms. lets see!

Last edited by siddartha : 25th March 2010 at 17:19.
Old 25th March 2010, 17:11   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why does flywheel needs to get replaced along with clutch?

Infact, what wear and tear a flywheel suffers really?
Its not mandatory to replace the flywheel with the clutch, but since the clutch is a friction plate which presses against the flywheel to create frictional resistance, the flywheel could wear out as well.

The decision to replace the flywheel should be done only after a thorough inspection.

Shan2nu
Old 25th March 2010, 20:29   #93
BANNED

after read this all post i beleive dealer is a damager here

hi
i read of high maintance cost of skoda
in india i feel the dealer here are making 500% margin
for example somebody i heard for oil change and oil filter change they charge 6000 rupees
now now i spend in china i have skoda octavia same as laura in china 1.8 tsi engine
for oil change only 700 rmb which come 700x6.7 = 4600 ruppes
mind this i use wruth oil 5w40 which made in germany and imported from germany to china
which cost me 600 rmb if use normal oil like shell ultra cost are only 500 rmb or castrol active 5w40 cost same 500 rmb
i put oil filter made in german so cost 100 rmb
if use made in china good quality cost is 60 rmb
so u can see how much skoda service centre is charging also
i fail understand why people donot use outside service centre to service the car
a cheap obd2 device can buy bought as cheap as 5000 ruppees
i have used my skoda for 40k killometer
never speand more than 4k ruppes in servicing
so i am shock to read how much rip off the service centres are doing
narry
narry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2010, 20:48   #94
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post

A dual mass flywheel alhough it handles torque better, is more fragile.

In the case of the diesel, the torque hits at low RPM hence the torque stresses are higher during a gear change. This means the DMF flywheel needs a change. In the case of a petrol, the torque is at higher RPM's hence less stress so replacement not always necessary.

My supervisor told me that the flywheel was fine although he initially told me to replace it when ordering the parts.
Old 25th March 2010, 21:48   #95
Senior - BHPian

Skoda (and all VAG) cars use dual mass flywheels. They are complex and suffer internal wear and tear. They are expensive and need replacement with the clutch.
Old 25th March 2010, 21:59   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Skoda (and all VAG) cars use dual mass flywheels. They are complex and suffer internal wear and tear. They are expensive and need replacement with the clutch.
Hmm....and what happens if you dont?
Old 25th March 2010, 22:11   #97
Senior - BHPian

Err, I can only imagine big things go boom and you'll hear lots of expensive sounding crunches before the car grinds to a halt. Then you see the bill and die of cardiac arrest. :P
Old 26th March 2010, 01:04   #98
Senior - BHPian

LOL, you have a pretty vivid imagination, but car parts are not designed to fail catastrophically without gving symptoms.

You can expect plenty of gear rattle, idle shake and starter engagement issues before it gives up.
Old 26th March 2010, 09:32   #99
Team-BHP Support

Symptoms will be a lot of judder, esecially when reversing on an incline, loss of power and a kind of chugging noise
Old 25th June 2012, 08:48   #100
Team-BHP Support

Engine running rich

Why ? - Temeprature sendor fails. It is well documented that the factory fitted one fail or become defective

How do I know ? - Strong petrol fumes from exhaust. Gruff engine note on start up. Temperature needle takes time to reach normal temprature. Check engine light eventually comes on. Exhaust might be boomy on a cold start.

What is the damage : Excess fuel consumption, check engine light might force limp home mode. You can offset this by disconnecting battery.

What is THE damage? - Go to the stealer - It will cost Rs 8000 and 5 hours of your time
Do it yourself, it wil cost Rs 4000 + 20 min of your time + cost of flat nosed plier and a screwdriver. Procedure is here

When can this happen? - any time from 25000 km onwards

What else can it be ? MAF sensor sending wrong signals

Note - I have sold my car - this will be the last post from me unless I get third hand information worth sharing
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2013, 23:59   #101
BHPian

Re: Octy vRS Achilles Heels

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post

You dont have to change the flywheel but its definately advisable to Resurface it when you put a new clutch on. I had an STI with 350-400 whp with stock flywheel+aftermarket clutch. Worked brilliantly. I would advise against changing the flywheel for anything other than stock, unless ur building a racing engine.
Old 9th January 2013, 09:09   #102
BHPian

*News*

On a recent visit to the Vinayaka Service center for a general checkup before I took my car on a 2000 Km trip down south, I was pleasantly surprised when I was told that all my Ignition coils were changed free of cost under warranty. Though I could not understand the " under warranty" stuff, but it was clearly mentioned on the bill. Has anyone had a chance to get anything free from Skoda, after warranty expiration?
Old 9th January 2013, 09:21   #103
Team-BHP Support

If the clutch is worn below 40000, you do not need to change flywheel, unless you have been dumping the clutch big time. If the clutch needs to be replaced around the 50-60 km mark, I would recommend changing the flywheel at the same time
Old 9th January 2013, 11:25   #104
BHPian

My 2009 TPI has done just about 40000 km. The car runs well and i have changed only the clutch slave cylinder so far (Rs 3700 + 1500 fitting charges).

Do i need to change the water pump impeller, Timing belt and ignition coils now ? Is it better to import these, rather than buy locally ?

Last edited by rxpaul : 9th January 2013 at 11:26.
Old 23rd April 2013, 11:09   #105
BHPian

Re: Engine running rich

thanks a lot ajmat sir for the quick scanning and evaluating the car for me, now i feel complete and happy about my purchase. Really appreciate the time you have taken off for me from your busy schedule.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks