Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2013, 05:27   #106
BHPian

Re: Octy vRS Achilles Heels

In Northern England and Scotland, where people quickly sniff out a scam, when your dual-mass flywheel fails many people have a good old-fashioned flywheel fitted to replace these ridiculous dual-mass devices.

Good engineers know what to fit, only those with more money than sense "pay through the nose" as we say to replace the original dmf with another which is guaranteed to fail again.
FlatOut is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2014, 23:53   #107
Senior - BHPian

I had my DMF flywheel replaced with a SMF and new Clutch cover assembly and plates. Total cost? 12K!!!. Labour free since it was at my own workshop!

Last edited by jyobeb : 5th December 2014 at 23:55.
Old 27th February 2016, 04:32   #108
Senior - BHPian

Independent Garage for the Octy vRS

Not sure if this is the right place but couldn't find any other thread so posting here.

After my long search for a clean vRS, i came across a very well maintained 1.8T Rider (1st owner, 59K done July 2005) and picked it up. The car has full service history from Vinayak Skoda and that is an assurance.

However I also want to know if there are any independent garages that I can take the car and have a peace of mind. Someone who knows about the vRS engine and the suspension setup et al.

I'm also looking to upgrade to 16" fro the 15" that the car is running now. Need feedback on the same.

Thanks in advance!
Old 28th February 2016, 20:39   #109
BHPian

Re: Independent Garage for the Octy vRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Not sure if this is the right place but couldn't find any other thread so posting here.

However I also want to know if there are any independent garages that I can take the car and have a peace of mind. Someone who knows about the vRS engine and the suspension setup et al.

I'm also looking to upgrade to 16" fro the 15" that the car is running now. Need feedback on the same.

Thanks in advance!
Have a good Skoda expert guy in Pune, if your interested. Instead of 16 inchers, I changed to 205/65-R15. Slightly wider & taller tyres, better grip & also nil speed breaker touches. Also since the car has done 59 K you MUST get the timing belt & water pump changed.

Last edited by rxpaul : 28th February 2016 at 20:41.
rxpaul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2016, 16:46   #110
BHPian

Re: Independent Garage for the Octy vRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post

After my long search for a clean vRS, i came across a very well maintained 1.8T Rider (1st owner, 59K done July 2005) and picked it up. The car has full service history from Vinayak Skoda and that is an assurance.

Thanks in advance!
When comes to engine spares and core mechanical parts please go for OEM, i did take a short route and ended up selling the car because of poor aftermarket spares i got. CarMechs in teachers colony HSR does maintain quite a few vrs, if its just tires go for any tire dealer with latest setup, PM if you need any help
Old 22nd September 2016, 12:50   #111

Re: Engine went boom with an expensive noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Why? - Timing belt snapped

How do I know? - Engine may not turn or makes expensive noises when turned

What is the damage? Pistons hammered the valves, if they are waving at you when you lift the engine, ouch

What is THE damage? Officially Rs 150000 for a head rebuild, a lot less if done by a good independent

When can this happen? Around 40000km onwards depending on use, age of belt

What else can it be? bottom ends or something expensive

How do I prevent it ? Ensure belt is inspected during service. Change belt at 45000km (change water pump if not ever done while you are down there in the engine bay)
Hi,Ajmat
i recently got the Cylinder head fixed and it costed me 10k and it looks like brand new,the head got damaged as my my Waterpump got siezed while i was driving my vRS on NH8 .
Old 4th November 2016, 07:53   #112
Senior - BHPian

I think a lot of Octy vRS achilles heels are based on the owner apathy. This is a car that needs the involvement of the owner. You give it to the workshop or your mechanic and blindly follow what they say, this is going to burn a hole in your pocket. However if you start understanding the car, find a good FNG and start procuring your own parts, this is a very pocket friendly hot hatch.

Having clocked about 10K Kms in 8 months, with a 1000Kms drive last Sunday ( BLR-BOM), I have had a majorly peaceful ownership. This is the list of things I have spent on in the last 8 months.
  1. Headlight ballast - 2X Rs.500 = Rs.1000
  2. Engine oil dipstick funnel - Rs.750
  3. Front bumper fixing ( due to a minor accident) - Rs.500
  4. AC Gas refiling ( Don't know how but one fine day the cooling reduced drastically. Found out gas was low. After refiling its back to normal) - Rs.1600
  5. All 4 disk pads changed with Bosch pads. - Rs.3100 with labour.
  6. Front dampers replaced with TRW along with strut mounting - Rs.7700 (including labour)
  7. Coolant flush - Rs.600
  8. Basic engine oil change along with all filters at ASC - Rs9400 with Rs.3400 as labour
  9. comprehensive insurance - Rs.12,000/-
There are a few smaller issues that are still plaguing the car and I intend to get them sorted over the next 1 month
  1. rear passenger door locked out and not opening
  2. front passenger central locking seems erratic
  3. roof lining has started to sag and intend to get that changed.
Apart from these, I think the Octy is doing quite well considering its 11 Yrs old and done 68.5K Kms.
P.S: in my 1000km BLR-BOM drive, I drove a steady 120kmph at 3k rpm. Octy returned a mileage of 12.5kmpl for first fill and 13.69kmpl for the second fill. Not bad I say!
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 23:21   #113
BANNED

Re: Water Pump failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
A known fault, it will happen unless you change the pump early

Why ? - silly design, plastic impeller fails - initially, it will turn slower than required. Worst case it will break and pieces will go into the water jacket

How do I know ? If you merely rev your engine or gun it, the needles go sky high. If you drive at around less than 2000 rpm and switch off at the lights, you could manage 10 km assuming ambient temp of around 30 deg C on a sat morning. You could push it by stopping every 10 km and letting it cool.

What is the damage : Ranges from coolant loss to blown gasket to cracked head depending on your car sympathy quotient

What is THE damage?
- minimum Rs 10000 pump + fitting. Take the opportunity to change timing belt if car has done 40000 km +

When can this happen? - any time from 25000 km onwards

What else can it be ?
Thermostat valve could fail, check this first
I have the exact same issue with my VRS albeit its been a long time since you posted this. Is there anyway i could know the Thermostat specification? im struggling to source parts. And my Cooling fan stopped working for good.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks