Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2009, 10:19   #1
BHPian

Engine Sound In My Santro On Start Up

Hello Guys,

Need help. I am experiencing a unique problem. whenever I start my santro (2001 model, 45K on ODO, serviced at 43K - sept 08) engine produce a sound that can be compared with a fan sound run at a extremely high speed. In short engine produce a strange sound as if its running at a very high speed, forcefully. if i keep it idle for 2min, the sound settles down to normal. but this is experienced everytime I start engine.

what could be the problem??

what should I check/watch out for.

please help. thanks.
Old 15th February 2009, 14:50   #2
BANNED

Are you sure the sound is something that of a fan noise ?

You might be quoting the sound of the fuel pump !
Old 15th February 2009, 15:40   #3
Senior - BHPian

If it's a squeak, that's a dirty belt somewhere. Otherwise, can't say by the description. Take it to your regular service station and get it checked.
Old 15th February 2009, 16:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashutosh View Post
Hello Guys,

Need help. I am experiencing a unique problem. whenever I start my santro (2001 model, 45K on ODO, serviced at 43K - sept 08) engine produce a sound that can be compared with a fan sound run at a extremely high speed. In short engine produce a strange sound as if its running at a very high speed, forcefully. if i keep it idle for 2min, the sound settles down to normal. but this is experienced everytime I start engine.

please help. thanks.

Get your spark plugs cleaned (or changed if due)
Old 15th February 2009, 17:29   #5
Team-BHP Support

Hard to tell from your description - but if it is a loud screeching that goes away if you rev the engine, then its probably a slipping belt.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-starting.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...palio-gtx.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...hing-alto.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ase-guide.html

cya
R
Old 15th February 2009, 19:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

i suppose you meant by sound of hard acceleration, like revving??
1.clean the airfilter after that do a regular tune up at A.S.S.
Old 15th February 2009, 19:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

Are you saying the engine itself is idling too fast at start up? Sir Alec's idea of checking the air filter is a good one. You might try stabbing at the accellerator pedal with your foot the next time to see if the fast on/off of the fuel flow makes the noise stop. It might be a sticking throttle linkage and/or throttle cable.
Old 15th February 2009, 22:56   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Are you saying the engine itself is idling too fast at start up?

Exactly, I think its common for santro to rev a little bit more than the idle RPM during the startup, this occurs or can be easily noticed especially during the morning or during the winter.

I think its the work of the ECU providing some rich mixture during the startup.

P.S : this is the case in my santro !!
Old 15th February 2009, 23:55   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashutosh View Post
Hello Guys,

please help. thanks.
It is most probably the sound from the power steering pump. In santros the pump makes a whining noise which is most audible during initial start while the car is not moving. Try turning the steering while the car is idling and not moving if the tone of the whine changes than it is the power steering pump. I have such a noise coming from my 2007 model Xing erlx done 9K . it is much more pronounced than that in my earlier 2003 model xing.
Old 16th February 2009, 11:31   #10

I have the santro xing 2009 model and i am experiencing the same problem when i start the engine, can the engine sound reduced through any addictive fuel or oil.
In my wagon R there is no high acceleration after the engine warm up the engine is very silent.
So is there any solution for that?
Old 17th February 2009, 16:52   #11
BHPian

thanks for advice.

my observation is although there is a sound on start up which i feel is fan noise, however when i put car in 1st gear the sound reduces considerably and engine becomes almost normal, but when I try to shift gear and press clutch again the same noise can be heard, loud & CLEAR.

checked spark plugs, they are ok. showed to local mechanic he could not trace any problem. I am planning to show car to HASC.
Old 17th February 2009, 17:53   #12
Team-BHP Support

My guess its the idle speed advance for cold starting that you are talking about, this helps to heat up the engine to a more ideal temperature at a faster pace.

Sound is reduced in first gear? Do you mean when you engage the gear OR when you deactivate the clutch and the car moves? If its while moving, it is because the RPM drop under the load.

Was this phenomenon from day 1 or recently started?
Old 17th February 2009, 19:52   #13
BHPian

Hi Jaggu,

When I engage 1st gear the sound drops to bear minimum and car starts to move as usual (however I notice slight...very slight drop in pick up, but its okey, i feel). Then when I press clutch to shift gears, exactly while clutch is pressed, sound starts.

This I am experiencing for past fifteen days. It was not the case earlier at all.

Its started only after a 15 days of me doing fuel injector cleaning on Jan 20, 2009 at a Huyndai Service Centre. They did injector service, engine tune up, fuel pump o/h, RR water elbow N/R.

Car's engine revs smooth...but the sound on start up is really bothering me.

Please advice if u get any clue from above discription. thanks.
Old 18th February 2009, 10:34   #14
BHPian

sound coming when clutch is pressed can be due to a noisy clutch bearing which typically makes noise when the clutch is depressed and disappears when you let go the clutch.
Old 18th February 2009, 12:32   #15
Team-BHP Support

Check clutch as suggested can be the release bearing, second thing is check water pump also.

Ideally take it a dealer and replicate the same, if needed after overnight parking there. Sound detection is a funny business online

Most Viewed