Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2009, 14:01   #1
Senior - BHPian

100% removal of flushed engine oil

I just had an engine oil flush done during my last service on Swift DDIS. Even after draining the last drop of oil and replacing the oil filter I understand that about 150-200 ml of oil is trapped in the engine. I think this is harmful for the engine and might lead to sludge formation on the long run.

In this forum some have suggested passing compressed air through the oil dip stick port to remove oil trapped in the engine. On mentioning the same with the service engineer at MASS he did inform me that it will cause harm to engine's delicate parts.

I am opening this thread to start a discussion on how to safely remove the last drop of old oil before refilling the same with the new one.
Old 15th February 2009, 14:50   #2
BHPian

How about filling in fresh oil and then running the engine for 5 mins and then flushing it out ? At least some amount of the old oil would have gone.
Old 15th February 2009, 15:02   #3
SuperSyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
I think this is harmful for the engine and might lead to sludge formation on the long run.
Be serious.

If you are hyperparanoid, you could use some of the engine flush products (diesel) at your own risk. Even those products will not give '100%' removal; to get 100% out you will have to pretty much open the engine and wash parts with water+soap solution.

Pour new oil of appropriate weight and drive. There are many other things to worry about in life rather than few drops of old oil. Nothing bad will happen to your car. Honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K a s h View Post
How about filling in fresh oil and then running the engine for 5 mins and then flushing it out ? At least some amount of the old oil would have gone.
And what should one do with engine oil that has been used for 5 minutes?!

Do people do this frequently?

I wish there was a second hand market where people could sell oil that has been used for 5 minutes. I would love to buy the entire stock.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 15th February 2009 at 15:09. Reason: back to back posts
  (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2009, 15:08   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

The detergents/solvents that engine flush is made up of, are also present in small amounts in regular engine oil. A small residue of engine flush therefore won't harm the engine, IMHO it might even be beneficial. Of course, in the long run, frequent flushing of engines and the resultant benefit vs. harm is itself a matter of huge debate.
Old 15th February 2009, 15:31   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSyn View Post

And what should one do with engine oil that has been used for 5 minutes?!

Do people do this frequently?

I wish there was a second hand market where people could sell oil that has been used for 5 minutes. I would love to buy the entire stock.
Whoa buddy... Now we know what to do with that oil ... dont we?
Old 16th February 2009, 11:27   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

@ Super Syn : Excellent post. I couldn't agree more, especially with this statement

Quote:
There are many other things to worry about in life rather than few drops of old oil. Nothing bad will happen to your car. Honest.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2009, 12:24   #7
BHPian

When I do an oil change, I let all the oil drain out and then pour about 500ml of fresh motor oil into the crankcase and allow this to completely drain out prior to re-installing the drain plug & new filter.

I actually read this in an old Mercedes service manual as a recommended practice.
Old 16th February 2009, 14:30   #8
BANNED

No point in getting paranoid about the 150-200ml residue. If you change oil regularly I would not even bother about flushing (well may be once every 50,000km). Also, all diesels oils have enough of detergents to clean the engine (this is what is the primary differentiation between diesel and petrol oils).

So I would say, forget the flushing provided you are changing oil at the recommended interval and using good quality oil (correct Cx rating).
Old 16th February 2009, 14:56   #9
Team-BHP Support

You can always get some "flushing oil" and idle the engine for couple of minutes and then drain and replace the oil and oil filter. This is one way to reduce the effect of residue.
Old 16th February 2009, 17:07   #10
Senior - BHPian

Godd quality high grade oils like Mobil Delvac, Chevron Delo etc., have high detergent contents that themselves act as good flushing agents.

When the oil is replaced timely, i.e. after 5-6K kms, such exercise as mentioned in previous post is not necessary. Take the vehicle to the garage when the engine has run for about 15 kms and is hot. Remove the drain plug, oil filter and open the engine oil lid. Let the oild drain for 1/2 hour. Replace with fresh oil and filter, go home and have good night's sleep.
Old 16th February 2009, 22:48   #11
Senior - BHPian

actually every MASS has a engine oil flushing machine, but no body bothers to use it.

Everywhere even in my fren's MASS the mechanic says 'bhaiya! kaun jodega, jab apne ap nikal hi jata hai'.
Old 19th February 2009, 15:33   #12
BHPian

My fear is whether they are draining the used oil completely before putting in new oil. What if they drain only 2 liters and top-up with new oil and charge for 5 liters of engine oil. especially in diesel engine the oil becoms black very soon. wont know the difference only.
Old 19th February 2009, 18:11   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzo10 View Post
My fear is whether they are draining the used oil completely before putting in new oil. What if they drain only 2 liters and top-up with new oil and charge for 5 liters of engine oil. especially in diesel engine the oil becoms black very soon. wont know the difference only.
You either need to trust the MASS or stand in front of your car when the oil is changed.
Old 19th February 2009, 20:10   #14
BHPian

This is definitely borderline paranoia lol.

Absolutely nothing will give you 100% removal of all oil. Besides - oil is not sludge. Sludge accumulates only when you let oil stay in there for too long and it mixes with the impurities to form a paste. Change the oil regularly and you will be fine. This has been proven time and again with people who have over 200k miles on their car without any special treatment.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks