Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2009, 00:49   #1
Team-BHP Support

cant identify sound in my innova

there is a tak-tak sound from the left side of the car. it sounds a bit like plastic hitting something. it increases as the speed of the car increases. the sound is barely audible with the windows up. i checked the wheels and found no stones. i also had a good look at them and nothing looks out of place. any idea what this could be? it seems to have started only yesterday after my driver had to emergency brake to avoid some fool who suddenly took a u-turn. could it possible be a stone stuck somewhere?

edit - also forgot to mention there is no perceptible difference in the driving behavior of the car. it is just the same.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 16th February 2009 at 00:57.
Old 16th February 2009, 08:52   #2
Senior - BHPian

We had a similar tak tak sound in our innova (right side); turns out the mud flap (??) was loose and was hitting the inner part of the wheel arch. Check out the inner part of the wheel arches and see if anything is loose.
Old 16th February 2009, 10:11   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
there is a tak-tak sound from the left side of the car. it sounds a bit like plastic hitting something. it increases as the speed of the car increases. the sound is barely audible with the windows up. i checked the wheels and found no stones. i also had a good look at them and nothing looks out of place. any idea what this could be? it seems to have started only yesterday after my driver had to emergency brake to avoid some fool who suddenly took a u-turn. could it possible be a stone stuck somewhere?

edit - also forgot to mention there is no perceptible difference in the driving behavior of the car. it is just the same.
Only possibility is with tools got loose. Look at the tools bag is it missing something?
Old 16th February 2009, 12:27   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post
We had a similar tak tak sound in our innova (right side); turns out the mud flap (??) was loose and was hitting the inner part of the wheel arch. Check out the inner part of the wheel arches and see if anything is loose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam003 View Post
Only possibility is with tools got loose. Look at the tools bag is it missing something?
nono its none of those. its definintely not a tool sound. and the mudflaps are fine.

any other ideas guys? i remember reading a thread where a stone stuck in the rotor was causing a sound like this.
Old 16th February 2009, 14:02   #5
BHPian

Weird. I have the same kind of sound coming from the left-rear of my Civic. Not the tools, not loose mud-flaps, and almost inaudible. Driving me mad. Can't hear it on very smooth roads. What could this be?
Old 16th February 2009, 17:20   #6
BHPian

Ah, I think I got it.

One of the rear windows were not fully closed, a few millimeters remaining. That solved my problem.
Old 16th February 2009, 18:54   #7
Senior - BHPian

check mudflaps and the V belt
Old 16th February 2009, 22:19   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdgawd View Post
Ah, I think I got it.

One of the rear windows were not fully closed, a few millimeters remaining. That solved my problem.

hahaha.

i think ive solved it. again checked the tyres and made the driver go slowly in front with the car. found a stone in the tread. it probably wasnt visible the first time i checked the tyres. *runs away out of embarassment*
Old 17th February 2009, 12:52   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
hahaha.

i think ive solved it. again checked the tyres and made the driver go slowly in front with the car. found a stone in the tread. it probably wasnt visible the first time i checked the tyres. *runs away out of embarassment*
I was just about to suggest this.
Old 17th February 2009, 13:05   #10
Senior - BHPian

So a 'stoned' Innova was the culprit.
Anyway - as long as the driver is not 'stoned' things should be smooth from now on!
Old 22nd May 2009, 19:20   #11
BHPian

speaking of sounds in Innova: I have been having a different kind of problem with my Innova purchased in 2007 Aug, as the speed increases at about 1800 RPMs there is a slight ringing sound like the one you hear when a knife is getting sharpened at the grinding wheel, lot less audible ofcourse, from the under chassis or engine bay, it disappears if speed (RPM) decreases or increases, happens in all the gears, since this is the perfect cruising RPM it can get annoying, will be audible only if the windows are down & no music running, complained at Ravindu toyota & even demonstrated to the technician, but they said it was mud flaps & had fixed it, well it’s still there, I case anyone has had similar problem please share it with me.
Old 22nd May 2009, 22:12   #12
BHPian

the knocking sound can also come if the bonnet hold-up lever (which holds up the bonnet/hood when open) is loose and not fastened.

cheers
M
Old 22nd May 2009, 23:52   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkumarmp View Post
speaking of sounds in Innova: I have been having a different kind of problem with my Innova purchased in 2007 Aug, as the speed increases at about 1800 RPMs there is a slight ringing sound like the one you hear when a knife is getting sharpened at the grinding wheel, lot less audible ofcourse, from the under chassis or engine bay, it disappears if speed (RPM) decreases or increases, happens in all the gears, since this is the perfect cruising RPM it can get annoying, will be audible only if the windows are down & no music running, complained at Ravindu toyota & even demonstrated to the technician, but they said it was mud flaps & had fixed it, well it’s still there, I case anyone has had similar problem please share it with me.
it resonates at that point. its normal. btw i suggest cruising at 2000-2200 rpm. you will get better mileage since the turbo is running at full boost.
Old 23rd May 2009, 00:00   #14
BHPian

The other tak tak noise in an innova is the passenger side seatbelt corner hitting the pillars when there is no passenger. Drove me nuts until I figured out what was happening
Old 23rd May 2009, 00:09   #15
Team-BHP Support

lol now im getting a rattle from the roof. something to do with the dual ac. if i keep my hand pressed towards the roof it stops. this is from the rear. will have to get it checked out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks