Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2009, 09:39   #1

Best Default Idle RPM for a Car?

What should be the best rpm for the car in idle mode which is always set by the manufacturer?
I am having two cars one is Wagon R Vxi which has a rpm meter and the other one is Santro which don't.According to the wagon r the idle rpm is set 500 as default but in santro i am not be able to determine as most of the times when i driving the santro i feels that the rpm is more in idle mode.
Old 17th February 2009, 09:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

Each car has a different setting. some are 500rpm some are 700,800 etc. just like how every car is different so is their parameters
Old 17th February 2009, 09:52   #3
BHPian

I think there is no standard default. It would vary between manufacturers. Also, even within cars of the same model and make, the idling RPM would differ (and would be tuned). My U-VA idles at aound 800.
Old 17th February 2009, 10:21   #4
BHPian

its best to look in the user manual or maybe ask your service advisor.

my lancer idles at 800 without ac and 900 with ac.
Old 2nd May 2009, 21:57   #5

hey guys
i have a problem here. please help me out.
i have a esteem vx 2001 mpfi
now when i start the car it starts but the idle rpm stays around 100-200 and within seconds the car shuts down
even if i manage to make the car running, the moment i pull my leg off the accelerator the rpm rushes back to 100-200 and the car shuts down.
please help me out as to what is the problem and what could be the solution
thanks
Old 2nd May 2009, 23:17   #6
BHPian

Throttle body's Idling actuator

Quote:
Originally Posted by schumi2508 View Post
hey guys

even if i manage to make the car running, the moment i pull my leg off the accelerator the rpm rushes back to 100-200 and the car shuts down.
please help me out as to what is the problem and what could be the solution
thanks

Get your throttle body cleaned with special attention being given to cleaning the orifice of the idling actuators auxilliary orifice. Make sure that your idling actuator's stepper motor is working.

Idling rpm is based on the weight of the rotating mass or in common parlance flywheels weight which is why the Enfield bullet has a low low idling rpm because it has a huge flywheel. Race cars have very low rotating mass and hence their high idling rpm and very difficult to control throttle at low rpm's. you would have seen many ex[ert race drivers bogging doen their engines at the start grid and also when at teh pit stop.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 2nd May 2009 at 23:20.
Old 5th September 2009, 23:00   #7
BHPian

Is it possible to increase the idle RPM easily?

My getz' idle RPM is about 700 RPM. Due to its poor low end torque, in slow moving traffic I cannot get the car to pull just by releasing clutch (on inclines). I have to sometimes use the accelerator too and rev the engine. Compared to this, the Santro I was driving earlier would move most of the times with just the release of appropriate amount of clutch. I agree that the lesser weight of Santro and different gearing could be the primary reasons, but I think increasing idle RPM in the getz should provide some more torque using only clutch. I may be wrong here.

Also I guess increasing idle RPM would bring down FE, but I hope it wont be too much.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks