Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2009, 02:54   #1
BHPian

2006 Accord 2.4mt Fuel Economy

Hi All,

I just decided to see what average do i get with my accord of late and saw that my in-city driving is giving me consistent average across few months for 10.4 - 11.2 . On highway, i drove it a few weeks back to Vrindavan and got a 13.0 average with A/C on All through ! Now iam kind of surprised because i never expected it to be giving me such a good average !

I started this thread to ask fellow Accord users if they get similar average with their 2.4mt ? Just to let everyone know about my driving habbits, i firmly believe that you respect the car, the car respects you . I typically drive between 1.5 - 2K RPM on all gears and switch off the engine on any red light where stoppage is more than 50 seconds . On highways, i move on almost same thumb-rule and my Accord has not crossed the speedometer reading of 110 till date .

Iam not sure about what company fitted plugs are in this vehicle but could changing them to NGK help at all ?

Awaiting your feedback and any suggestions you might have !

Thank you all & God Bless !

Last edited by Technocrat : 19th February 2009 at 14:21. Reason: Only two smilies per post allowed
Old 19th February 2009, 12:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by delhi2009 View Post
Hi All,

my in-city driving is giving me consistent average across few months for 10.4 - 11.2 . On highway, i drove it a few weeks back to Vrindavan and got a 13.0 average with A/C on All through ! Now iam kind of surprised because i never expected it to be giving me such a good average !

Thats just amazing mileage in city driving. 11.2kmpl is really fantastic .
How about other 2.4MT owners, how much mileage are you getting ?
Old 19th February 2009, 13:04   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Iam not sure about what company fitted plugs are in this vehicle but could changing them to NGK help at all ?
No.

Good mileage figures tho
Old 19th February 2009, 13:09   #4
Team-BHP Support

with that driving style im not surprised with the figures. obviously you still havent got addicted to the high revving honda engines. try revving it to 7k once and see how you like it. care to substantiate immortalz?
Old 19th February 2009, 13:38   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

I just decided to see what average do i get with my accord of late and saw that my in-city driving is giving me consistent average across few months for 10.4 - 11.2 . On highway, i drove it a few weeks back to Vrindavan and got a 13.0 average with A/C on All through ! Now iam kind of surprised because i never expected it to be giving me such a good average !

I started this thread to ask fellow Accord users if they get similar average with their 2.4mt ? Just to let everyone know about my driving habbits, i firmly believe that you respect the car, the car respects you . I typically drive between 1.5 - 2K RPM on all gears and switch off the engine on any red light where stoppage is more than 50 seconds . On highways, i move on almost same thumb-rule and my Accord has not crossed the speedometer reading of 110 till date .

Awaiting your feedback and any suggestions you might have !

hi, with that kind of driving you are definately suffocating your accord engine. That engine must be wondering when am i going to be revved high for which i'm made for...
just experience the honda's high end torque once and you might change your driving style.
Old 19th February 2009, 14:04   #6
Senior - BHPian

Amazing on a 2.4l car.

What method did you use to measure your FE ?
Old 19th February 2009, 14:07   #7
BHPian

My 2 cents
Is it necessary to revive? May be I am wrong but gaining 110 speed is not bad that too on Indian highways. We should always leaves a gap to accomodate other errors especially on highways
delhi2009 thanks for saving fuel
Old 19th February 2009, 19:22   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
with that driving style im not surprised with the figures. obviously you still havent got addicted to the high revving honda engines. try revving it to 7k once and see how you like it. care to substantiate immortalz?
Gladly

Just wind down the windows, get on a twisty empty road and just thrash that thing. You'll lose half your FE, but believe me, you'll have a grin on your face all the time. And IMHO, that's worth blowing up money for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
My 2 cents
Is it necessary to revive? May be I am wrong but gaining 110 speed is not bad that too on Indian highways. We should always leaves a gap to accomodate other errors especially on highways
delhi2009 thanks for saving fuel
High revving isn't necessarily speeding. Certain engines just love to be revved to redline in every gear. The beautiful noise it makes, the way the car pulls you away - it's just bliss my friend. Hondas tend to be revvy by design.

Last edited by ImmortalZ : 19th February 2009 at 19:24.
ImmortalZ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2009, 03:42   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Amazing on a 2.4l car.

What method did you use to measure your FE ?
Every 250 KM, i fillup the tank till Auto-cut of the nozzle . And i've sticked to this petrol pump for past 5 years or so ! So while each time average is a little different, its still between 10.4 - 11.2 .
Old 20th February 2009, 13:01   #10
BHPian

Quote:
.......I typically drive between 1.5 - 2K RPM on all gears........my Accord has not crossed the speedometer reading of 110 till date
Why did you get yourself a 2.4L Honda???

Anyway, those are really impressive mileage figures. I haven't heard people get those kinda figures inside city even from a Civic. Good going.

Try driving the car hard every once in a while. You will not be disrespecting it in any way. Cars today are built to take a trashing. And the kind of thrill you get from it would put a bigger smile on your face than the FE figures.
Old 20th February 2009, 13:04   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Delhi roads must be wide & open for such figures; Mumbai Accords would be hard-pressed to better 8.5 kpl. 9 only if you really baby her.
Old 20th February 2009, 13:13   #12
Senior - BHPian

All in all a very nice FE for a 2.4Lt Monster !! Congrats !!
Old 20th February 2009, 13:17   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

Just to let everyone know about my driving habbits, i firmly believe that you respect the car, the car respects you . I typically drive between 1.5 - 2K RPM on all gears and switch off the engine on any red light where stoppage is more than 50 seconds . On highways, i move on almost same thumb-rule and my Accord has not crossed the speedometer reading of 110 till date .
I drive more or less like you do (my Corolla has rarely crossed 110). I switch off if interval is more than 20-30 secs, use AC for comfort (auto AC at 27C with manual switch-off when it gets comfortable). The result: I am able to achieve >11 kmpl on the AT (peak of >13 kmpl in 1 week). The money saved is small but is an achievement, nonetheless.

Your example shows that it is possible to achieve decent FEs on even bigger cars.
vasudeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2009, 13:29   #14
BHPian

Slightly off topic , but We managed 13.4 on the Chennai - Bangalore ( via Vellore) route in the CR-V.Cruised around 90-110 all through and was pleasantly amused at the fuel figures. City average in Hyderabad is around 10kmpl mark.

Thought id mention since we're talking about Honda's 2ltr and above engines.
Old 20th February 2009, 14:47   #15
BHPian

Wish I could say the same. I have a 2.4 AT, which gives me 6.5 - 7 km/l in Mumbai traffic, AC on 100%. Have yet to calculate the highway runs, so dont know what the mileage would be. Its a 2003 model with 52xxx kms.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks