Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2005, 18:24   #1
BHPian

Fiat Petra -Problem with power steering.

Hi Guys,

Need your urgent help on this issue. I have been feeling hardness of movement on power steering from Day-1 in my Petra. My Petra has 185/65/R-14 on Aura Alloys (I picked up this upgrade from same model sold in Turkey with same engine and name of Albea and there this is OEM spec, this is just to avoid and issues with Fiat though I personally wanted to go in for 195/55/R-14) and Palio GTX also has same tyres (185/65/R-14) spec.

Now there is a remarkable difference in ease of power steering on Palio GTX as compared to Petra, I can grant some concession there in terms of Petra being 200 KGs heavier than Palio GTX but Petra’s steering is too hard as compared.

On my Delhi trip I showed this problem to Samyak Motors and they called up FIAT’s power steering supplier to check. The PS supplier confirmed that there is definitely an issue and changed PS rack (under warranty). After the change the steering was much smoother but still the problem existed. Since I had to leave for Mumbai next day, I thought I would let Mumbai chaps take this forward.

Now the problem is:

1) Steering is still very heavy (slight effort is required as compared to Palio GTX).
2) Turning right is fine but on turning left the steering doesn’t comes back to middle position automatically.
3) There is slight jamming feeling on turning steering 60 degrees to left.

I gave the car to Fortpoint and is with them since last Friday, They checked the wheel balance and alignment, in alignment there was some problem with rack threads which was corrected and subsequently problem 3 above was feeling a little better but still steering is hard. Today finally FIAT sent there local PS people to check who called me up and said that problem could be due to 185/65 profile because OEM is 175/65. I told him not to bullxxxx because FIAT sells same car with this spec in Turkey and also my Palio GTX has same tyres and no problems at all. He further added that problem could be due to Power Steering fluid pump, which dealer would be checking tomorrow.

Do you guys can give me some helpful tips or your experience on this issue?

Help is appreciated.

Regards,
-Rishi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks