Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2009, 10:41   #1
Rai
BANNED

Fiat Petra - Radiator Fan Noise

Hello All,

I have a 2003 Fiat Petra 1.6 ELX with 57000 KMs on Odo.

Off late I am getting lot of noise from Auxiliary Radiator Fan (the same Fan which keeps running for almost one min when switching off the Hot Engine. I guess this is Auxiliary fan).

I took the car to Authorized Dealer and he told me that, the fan Bearings are gone bad and even motor has to be changed. The Original piece comes as one set (sealed set) costing around Rs. 9000/-. But he suggested me to take it to outside garages where only Motor can be replaced for around Rs. 2000/-.

My Question is:
* Is the suggestion given to me is correct?
* Can, only Motor be replaced? or should it be really replaced?
Is it the really cause of Fan noise? Will the motor replacement reduce
the Noise?
* And if at all I have to replace the Original motor outside, will I
get the Original Motor (Only Motor) outside?

I keep my vehicle in top Condition always and this problem too I want to address it as soon as possible.

Your suggestions are very much appreciated.

Thanks & regards
Rai
Old 23rd February 2009, 11:25   #2
BHPian

Rai,

simple take on situation like yours is to understand whether you would like to keep the present car for long or sell/upgrade in sometime.

in case you plan to stick to your car for long then it'll be better to get the fan replaced with the original one from authorised dealer. this would give you peace of mind, security (warranty) though at an extra cost.

in case you planning to upgrade/sell your present car then after market 'juggad' would make sense but then again it won't give any warrant against defects or sure short solution to your problem.

the ball is in your court now!
Old 23rd February 2009, 13:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
My Question is:
* Is the suggestion given to me is correct?
* Can, only Motor be replaced? or should it be really replaced?
Is it the really cause of Fan noise? Will the motor replacement reduce
the Noise?
* And if at all I have to replace the Original motor outside, will I
get the Original Motor (Only Motor) outside?
Check this message:

Yahoo! Groups
Old 11th March 2009, 18:08   #4
Rai
BANNED

Well. My Fiat Petras Radiator Fan, after taking lot of abuses I guess, decided to stop working completely few days back and car was in my apartment's basement for few days. I didn't had time to take it to service station and started using my 1982 Enfield Bullet to go to office. Wow... nice feeling to ride Enfield Bullet.

Anywise, today being office holiday because of HOLI, I decided to take my Petra to Manipal Motors from WhiteField where I stay. I thought Traffic will be less and I can take it to Manipal Motors without trouble. I started from my home around 09:00 AM. But as soon as I come near Martha-Halli Bridge I started sensing trouble. Temperature started shooting up. Keeping close eye on Temp Needle I reached upto HAL, where I had to stop the car on road side since temp Needle came to RED.
I opened my Bonnet and I can see Steam oozing out from the plastic can of Radiator. I started calling MANIPAL Motors Service Advisor. But his mobile is switched off. I call 24Hrs TATA Service and that guy tells me he is somewhere near Corporation Circle and is on the way to attend another customer. and can attend to me only after 2 hrs. But he tells me to wait for 30 Mins and drive again after 30 mins till the needle come to RED again. He advised me to repeat this till I reach Manipal Motors.
I did the same thing. Started the car after 45 Mins when Temp Came down to Quarter, and turned Right near HAL Airport and Enter Jeevan Bheema Nagar. Stopped there for 45 mins and then again stoped near BSNL office in CMH road for 45 Mins and I reach IndiraNagar.
I miss the left Turn in Indiranagar Residential area and I come to 100 Ft Road. Turn Right in 100Ft Road, and going slowly.
By the way all these way I have been maintaining very slow speed of 20-30.
Suddenly a FIESTA which was parked on left Side comes to life and the Driver of Fiesta without looking as who is coming, shoots into the Road. It was very close and I Honk at him and to avoid the collision I brake. But two Bike behind me couldn't stop and they HIT my Car very hard from behind (Big Sound) and they fall down on 2 more Bikes who fall on Center Divider. Luckily all of them were with Helmets but lots of Bruises & Blood. Luckily No major injuries.
The Fiesta guy realizes his mistake but doesn't stop and he zips off.
Two other guys come to me and started scolding me left & right for applying the Brake without Indicator and I was just speechless. Almost 15 years of my driving experience and this is the first time I ever got involved in Accident. I was too shocked to speak. and there comes the Police. Its not even 2 mins after accident and Police are already there.
Luckily, the Bike Rider (who hit me from behind) has seen the Fiesta and he told the Police about the whole incident. Though he was bleeding, he told the Truth. Then the Hyundai Service center guy came (this happened opposite Hyundai Service Center) and he too told the Truth. Then, there were some Showroom Salesmen too supported me and wow I was saved. Otherwise I would have got beaten up by Public & May be by Police too. Somehow Policeman was insisting Bike guys to press charges against me. The Bike guys were Infosys Guys and they were going to office. Well behaved guys and I salute them for being honest. And Lucky me, there was no damage to my car. Just some bad scratches on the rear fender.

Anyway, this incident cools off and I reach Manipal Motors. Manipal Motors Fiat Mechanics check the vehicle and tell me, Sir Radiator Fan assembly has to be replaced. I said fine, go ahead. Then they tell me, sir, We do not have Spare Parts and we are not in a position to procure new spare parts either. They suggest me to take my car to Prerana Motors in Old Madras Road.

Looks like Manipal Motors is loosing business. They do not have any cars in their Service bays (hardly few). I was told by Mechanics unofficially that Manipal Motors may close down. Itseems for last three months Manipal has NOT Sold even a single FIAT cars. Not sure if the same is tru for TATA Vehicle too. But I don’t see even Tata Vehicle in the Service bays. Is that true, that, Manipal Motors are in not doing great? I always had a good Service from Manipal Motors for my Sierra (which I still have) and for my Safari (sold). I also didn't have any issues on their FIAT Service.

Well, My story repeats, I have to take my car to Prerana Motors now. I am also very tired now. With this stop & Go I reach Prerana Motors in Old Madras Road (OMR) at around 12:30 PM. Those guys Check my Car and tell me, Sir, we don't have Spare parts as of now. We can return your Car only on Next Monday. I tell them OK whatever I don't have any other choice too. I am tired now I give the car there take a Rick and reach home around 01:30 PM.

Guys any comet on my great experience

Sorry for too long post.

Regards
Rai

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks