Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2009, 16:00   #16
BHPian

i am a new driver and have been taught at the driving school to brake when nearing bumpers & press clutch fully while getting on top on the bumpers and release & accelerate is this a right method to drive and also at u-turn's to use only clutch & brake till i complete the turn and get to a straight line and then accelerate .
Old 25th February 2009, 19:52   #17
BANNED

Press the clutch if you want to or are about to change gears in the next few seconds only.
Old 25th February 2009, 20:03   #18
BHPian

maruti recommends to press the clutch before cranking to take the load off the starter motor. i think as far as you are in neutral there will be no effect on clutch like wear out, as the clutch is not engaged at all.
Old 25th February 2009, 21:23   #19
BHPian

Gosh - you guys are great....never expected this to garner so much attention by fellow bhpians...
Old 25th February 2009, 22:03   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonirohit View Post
I've a tendency to rest my foot over clutch pedal while idling like when I am waiting on traffic lights etc...the car is generally in neutral and all this while the clutch pedal is depressed.

Is it a bad practice - yes, Would it have any impacts on the clutch in the long term? - Don't know!!!

Please enlighten
Hi rohit, interesting question. Keeping the clutch depressed when in neutral GENERALLY doesn't do much harm to the clutch plates. It just unnecessarily puts a load on the release bearings and release fork. For new generation cars it really does not matter so much - ONLY IF you remain in neutral. If you stay this way IN GEAR, you are looking to reduce clutch plate life. The old Ambies had a release bush instead of a bearing, which wore out if you did this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desperadoxx View Post
...going downhill (not so steep, about 25-30 degees) on a very very bad potholed stretch...
I shift to second gear, depress the clutch completely and go slow breaking on and off to keep the car from sudden movements.
I have to drive through 100 meters of this road to negotiate everyday, your suggestions/comments would help my Wagon R live longer
25-30 degrees downhill is fairly steep, but 100 metres is not much to go. Easiest on the car would be to shift to neutral and carefully bring it down only on the brakes, keeping your engine idling on neutral, with foot off the clutch. Not the best driving practice as per purists, but over a distance of 100 metres you are highly unlikely to overheat and fade out your brakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
...to brake when nearing bumpers & press clutch fully while getting on top on the bumpers and release & accelerate... also at u-turn's to use only clutch & brake till i complete the turn and get to a straight line and then accelerate .
Just the driving school's method of teaching you to drive without too much effort, and to prevent repeated stalling of the car. To climb bumps as well as to take U-turns, it's always advisable to downshift to as low a gear as is required, use the clutch sparingly, and use the accelerator with a delicate touch to eliminate jerks and stalls. With experience you'll do it sub-consciously; if you persist with declutching every time you do a U-turn or go over a bump, this will form a suconscious habit detrimental to clutch life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAGON_R View Post
maruti recommends to press the clutch before cranking to take the load off the starter motor. i think as far as you are in neutral there will be no effect on clutch like wear out, as the clutch is not engaged at all.
Very true. Pressing the clutch while in neutral before cranking the starter motor reduces load on the starter AND battery by a miniscule amount. It is also a safety habit to prevent damage/injury just in case you forgot to get the car into neutral before cranking. A lot of cars have this safety feature built in, so the starter motor won't crank unless the clutch pedal is fully depressed. Cars like Fiat, Opel, high-end Hyundais, Chevys etc. have this feature.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 25th February 2009 at 22:05.
Old 25th February 2009, 22:12   #21
BHPian

i have been driving this way. i guess its time to work on my style. foot off the clutch while waiting at intersections.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks