Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2009, 09:11   #1
BHPian

Getz Air Conditioning Improvement

I have been facing cooling problems with my Getz for quite sometime. Its summer time already and the A/C is simply horrible! It takes its own time to cool and its not able to cool the car if its parked in the sun for 2 hours. I initially thought that it was due to the old sun films and installed the 3M RE35 for side & rear and I already had Llumar AIR75 for the windshield. I dont see any improvement when its parked in the sun. The dashboard and the seat soak up all the heat and the A/C simply blows hot air. Even after having the A/C on for 30 mins, I see no effect. Finally, I have to switch the A/C off and roll down the windows .

I took it to Hyundai A.S.S. and by the time they checked the car (after 1 hour parked in the shade), it had cooled considerably and they showed me with a digital thermometer inserted into the blower that the air coming out was cooler (8 deg C), but the effect of the cooler air was not felt immediately. I think that the A/C is not able to handle hot air after being parked in the sun for some time. The A/C seems to works fine in the early mornings and the evenings. (I always have it in recirculate mode and rarely switch to fresh air mode). I think this is not normal behaviour and something can be done to improve this.

Getz owners, please comment if this is a common problem with all the Getz.
I need to know what can be done to improve the cooling. What are my options?
a) Should I change the compressor?
b) Should I visit a local A/c mechanic ?

help me.
Old 2nd March 2009, 09:20   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

That sure is wierd! I never have this problem in our Getz. There MUST be something wrong. Get it checked at the A.S.S while leaving it out in the sun.
Old 2nd March 2009, 09:57   #3
Senior - BHPian

There must have been some leakage in gases.
Get it checked with a local shop / A.S.S .
Old 2nd March 2009, 10:53   #4
BHPian

If you have parked the car for 2 hrs in sun better to rolled down the windows (open atleast two diagonal windows for cross ventilation) for 5 min drive and roll up and switch on the AC. I think this will help you to cool the car. You can use sun reflector for the windscreen (Check Amazon.com: Sun Reflector Standard Sunshade: Automotive) when car is parked in sun. It helps a lot. I understand you already have a film but this will help you a lot. If this does not work and you can get the AC gas pressure check or get the AC servicing done as last option as you said it cools reasonably good in evenings/mornings

Last edited by aka_iitd : 2nd March 2009 at 10:57.
Old 2nd March 2009, 13:03   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
If you have parked the car for 2 hrs in sun better to rolled down the windows (open atleast two diagonal windows for cross ventilation) for 5 min drive and roll up and switch on the AC. I think this will help you to cool the car.
I always do that. I rolldown all four windows for 5 mins and then only try the A/C. I also change the fan setting to defrost mode and the intake also to fresh air mode so that the windshield gets cooled first. (The glass usually is very hot, so i try to cool that first)

Quote:
You can use sun reflector for the windscreen (Check Amazon.com: Sun Reflector Standard Sunshade: Automotive) when car is parked in sun. It helps a lot. I understand you already have a film but this will help you a lot.
Thanks. Im searching for this and will defnitely try to get one this weekend.

Quote:
If this does not work and you can get the AC gas pressure check or get the AC servicing done as last option as you said it cools reasonably good in evenings/mornings
Ok. I will
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
There must have been some leakage in gases.
Get it checked with a local shop / A.S.S .
Thanks. I will check with the A.S.S once again. The A.S.S always try to prove that nothing is wrong with the car. I will try to park the car in the sun this time and then ask them to test this issue.
Old 2nd March 2009, 15:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

Has the blower speed reduced ?
Old 2nd March 2009, 15:37   #7
Senior - BHPian

This is an universal problem for all cars parked in the sun. Get a sun reflector for the front windshield & try to park only in the shade even if it means that you have to walk 5 minutes for that. It is certainly worth it.

Since the grill temperature is 8 deg, the cooling part is ok, check the blower.
Old 2nd March 2009, 16:07   #8
BHPian

One more thing to add to your list is get your a/c condenser washed thoroughly with water at a higher pressure than normal. This helps to a certain extent in improving the cooling efficiency, especially if the car has clocked quite a few miles or has been driven in extremely dusty environments.
Old 2nd March 2009, 16:33   #9
BHPian

I've a getz GLS & I have the exact same problem of inefficient cooling, even after 30 mins with the A/C the the temp. inside the car is just about manageable.... :(
I've V-cool film on all sides (no film on the front windshield)
Let me know if anything helps you...

Raihan
Old 2nd March 2009, 17:14   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by K a s h View Post
(I always have it in recirculate mode and rarely switch to fresh air mode).
You could also have the fresh air flap checked to verify that it actually closes fully when the vents are set to recirculation position.
Old 2nd March 2009, 17:36   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
You could also have the fresh air flap checked to verify that it actually closes fully when the vents are set to recirculation position.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Has the blower speed reduced ?
Yes. When i close the fresh air flap, the speed is Ok, but when i open to fresh air mode, then the blower speed reduces considerably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
One more thing to add to your list is get your a/c condenser washed thoroughly with water at a higher pressure than normal. This helps to a certain extent in improving the cooling efficiency, especially if the car has clocked quite a few miles or has been driven in extremely dusty environments.
Oh..ok. Will ask the A.S.S to do that.
Old 2nd March 2009, 17:52   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes. When i close the fresh air flap, the speed is Ok, but when i open to fresh air mode, then the blower speed reduces considerably.
Goto any Hyundai service center, ask them to clean the filters behind the glovebox.
Old 2nd March 2009, 17:53   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Perhaps the inlet path for fresh air is choked with leaves, insects and dust, and this would also interfere with the flap closing fully. Please have this checked.
Old 2nd March 2009, 17:59   #14
BHPian

Have no problems with my Getz a/c. Of course it is not the same class of cooling as in the Baleno, but certainly nothing to sneeze at. My Getz has run 56000 kms and has really been no trouble.
Check your air flaps, check the gas, clean the fins (esp if long usage in very dusty conditions) and lastly, take it to another private a/c expert for a second opinion. SOme of the Hyundai techs are pitifully low on diagnostic skills. Their cure in most cases which baffle them are "total transplant".
Old 4th March 2009, 13:15   #15
BHPian

Update. Visited the Hyundai A.S.S today. They did some checks and told me that there was a loose connection in the fuse box. I dont know if they had identified it correctly. Have to check the A/C when i park in the sun next time.
I replaced the HEPA air filters (Rs 1666/=) also.
There was too many dead leaves and dust coming out when removing the filter. Glad that i replaced the filter today.

Even after replacing the filters, there was a noticable difference in the fan speed when toggling between fresh air and recycle mode. The service advisor told me that it is normal since when it goes to fresh air mode, the air has to pass through the filter, whereas in recycle mode it directly takes the air from inside the car. Is it correct?
Attached Thumbnails
Getz Air Conditioning Improvement-kash_103.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks