Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2017, 09:04   #1741
Senior - BHPian

re: All about diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Thank God I found this thread. Tata recommends Mobil Super 3000 TMGO 5W 30, (nobody knows what oil they have supplied from factory with my new Nexon Diesel), but its good. Service guys reckon its semi-syth. Is the oil mentioned above good for the 15K KMS service?.
If this oil and its corresponding change interval is specified in the manual, then it should be good for 15k kms. However, if I were in your place, I would go for a pre-emptive change at either 10k kms / 1 year, whichever is earlier. Most important, do whatever it takes not to void the warranty.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2017, 10:48   #1742
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Mobil Super 3000 TMGO 5W 30
Doesn't the service center have stock of the recommended oil? In my case, I had to buy the Oil from MASS and get the same changed during the first few free services so as to not impact warranty. Do check with TASS before you buy the oil.
Old 18th December 2017, 11:09   #1743
Senior - BHPian

They have Castrol and no more options. Either I get them the oil or they procure it for me. Oil will void warranty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Doesn't the service center have stock of the recommended oil?
Old 18th December 2017, 11:21   #1744
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Oil will void warranty?
I was specifically told by MASS that if my service bill doesn't reflect MASS specified engine Oil, the warranty might be void. Hence had to purchase oil from MASS. Do check if Tata also has this stupid clause else you can buy the oil outside and then ask them to change.
Old 18th December 2017, 11:42   #1745
Senior - BHPian

Advaith Hyundai put sub-standard oil in our car during service, in the recent past. I'm very firm on carrying my own oil post that. As it's the easiest way for dealers to make money.

Quote:
I was specifically told by MASS that if my service bill doesn't reflect MASS specified engine Oil, the warranty might be void.
Old 18th December 2017, 12:20   #1746
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do check if Tata also has this stupid clause else you can buy the oil outside and then ask them to change.
No, Tata doesn't have any such clause. Nexon manual clearly mentions 3 options for you to choose from; so ASC cannot decline an oil change on these grounds.

All about diesel engine oils-nexon.jpg

Quote:
They have Castrol and no more options. Either I get them the oil or they procure it for me. Oil will void warranty?
If you use Mobil Super 3000 TMGO 5W 30, it won't give them an excuse to void warranty, 'cause it's clearly mentioned as a recommended oil in the manual.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 18th December 2017 at 12:21.
comfortablynumb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th December 2017, 12:36   #1747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Usually all ASCs purchase recommended oil in bulk in 201 L drums so they will have only one oil brand. ASC is bound to fill in any of the oil recommended in service manual but not necessaily oil of your choice.

IMHO you are unnecessarily fretting about brand A or B of the same grade oil. When a company is recommending 2-3 oils in it's manual it means they have tested it over lakhs of KM and are of same quality.

It makes sense to switch to another brand if and only if the oil is higher grade else it's mostly psychological thing.

Secondly the recommended interval of 15K is under ideal conditions and if you read fine print in most manuals half the interval is recommended for sever conditions. Indian cities mostly offer what can be termed as severe condition compared to test bed.

So If I were in your place I will happily let the ASC fill in whatever Oil they have buy an oil filter from ASC and keep it in boot ( TML sells the parts over the counter) and later after 7.5K change the oil to my choice. However don't go for any lower grade oil just because it is synthetic or semi-synth.
amitk26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2017, 15:21   #1748
BHPian

I'm going for the 1st year 10k service for my Ciaz diesel which has the DDis engine. Maruti recommends 5W-30 engine oil. Any recommendations regarding which one to prefer, Synthetic, semi or Mineral?

Also, can we carry oil on our own from outside?
Old 13th February 2018, 23:39   #1749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
I'm going for the 1st year 10k service for my Ciaz diesel which has the DDis engine. Maruti recommends 5W-30 engine oil. Any recommendations regarding which one to prefer, Synthetic, semi or Mineral?

Also, can we carry oil on our own from outside?
Hi,
just saw your post! so which oil did you put ? Serviced at SK Wheels ?

I believe you can use Mobil Delvac-1 5W40 AP CI4+ Fully Synthetic, as many DDiS and diesel cars have been using this happily.
Old 14th February 2018, 20:03   #1750
BHPian

Trying Mitasu 5w30 diesel oil on my Amaze this time. There seems to be less option of recommended ACEA c2/c3 oil for Honda idtec engine. I could find this and mobil one esp formula.
Old 15th February 2018, 01:06   #1751
Senior - BHPian

I have been using
i-Sint Levo IN
SAE 5W-30 API SM/CF. Its from AGIP and costs pretty reasonable too. The Pajero engine is quite happy with this oil.
Old 4th March 2018, 13:44   #1752
BANNED

I want help in choosing the engine oil for my 2016 Ford Figo 1.5 D which has just crossed 50,000 km . The specification in the manual states the following stats.

1. WSS-M2C913-D
2. 5w30
3. ACEA A5/B5

Please suggest me an option,which can be purchased online, that will adhere to the stats.

I am planning on doing the oil change at home especially before or after intensive drives.

Last edited by COMMUTER : 4th March 2018 at 13:50.
Old 2nd April 2018, 20:31   #1753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
Insofar as oils are concerned, my heart rules over my head

Notwithstanding the manufacturers' specifications, I have gone beyond their recommendations!

My DDiS 200 engined SX4 has been on a diet of Mobil 1 0W/40 from day 1 (current odometer reading 98,000 km in 6.5 years); and my NEF CRDe engined Mahindra Thar has been on Mobil Delvac 1 5W/40 from 20,000 km (current odometer reading 38,000 km in 5.3 years)

It pains the wallet to buy these expensive lubricants, but the smoothness derived is priceless
Hi, can you tell what grade is Maximile feo. Is it ch or ci. Secondly, is the 5w40 synthetic grade really a good choice in tropical Indian climate where temperatures here in North plains cross 45 in summer. Thirdly, can you tell the difference you felt after switching from feo to delvac one.
Thank you, contemplating to switch, so ask you, as an experienced user.
Old 12th April 2018, 21:26   #1754
BHPian

So our Honda City VMT completed 30000 KMs in 6 years & the Liva diesel crossed 25000 KMs in 4 years. Service was due and so was oil change. This time I wanted to switch back to Mobil1. Used the FS 0W40 (Gold Can) in my Getz. What gem of an oil. It brought to life what was otherwise a lacklustre vehicle. Went to my nearest dealer to find out what's new.

The 0w40 was still around and it brought a joy to my face. However wanted to see what's new. Ajay bhai at Reliable Motors, Parle East recommended the Super 3000 Formula 1 FS 5W40(For both the City & Liva). Got the City flushed and filled with the same. Time for the Liva.

Researched enough on the Delvac. The FS 5W40 & the mineral 15w40 were available. Still in 2 minds so cut the mineral out. Toss up between the Delvac & the Super 3000. Price difference is almost 1500 bucks. The Toyota Genuine Motor Oil(mineral) sets me back by 1500, so the Super 3000 is a great choice, considering I get a FS for only 1000 more. Have heard great things about the Delvac but my running doesn't justify it.

Shall most probably end up with the Super 3000 in the Toyota. Stay tuned for updates.
Old 2nd June 2018, 19:20   #1755
BHPian

Took in my 2014 Ritz Diesel for the 40,000 Kms/ 4 year service last month.
Till now it was only being filled with 5W/40 Oil as specified in the manual.
1st year Petronas, 2nd year Mobil Super, 3rd year Mobil Super. All with 5W/40 viscometrics.
But this time it was filled with Servo A5/B5 5W/30. When I protested as to how they could do this, they said that this oil was also approved by Maruti for their Diesel Engines. They had a Maruti Approved Oil chart to prove their claims. Even spoke to a Maruti Representative just to be sure.
My question is that will the 30 grade oil be as robust as the 40 grade oil?
I know that they have probably chosen to use the 30 grade oil to improve Fuel efficiency. But I am more interested in reliability rather than the marginal increase in Fuel efficiency.

Is this oil good to go or should I drain it and refill it with 5W40?
Does anybody have any experience /review of the Servo A5/B5 5W30 oil?
Another question, in the New Maruti Diesels they specify A5/B5 5W30 oils, so is there a difference in the old diesel engines (where 5W/40 was recommended) compared to the New Diesel Engines (where 5W30 is recommended)? Maybe in the tolerances etc?
Or is it that just the oil viscosity was changed to improve the Fuel economy figures?
Can someone throw light on my above queries, please?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks