Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2021, 21:13   #2146
Senior - BHPian

Re: All about diesel engine oils

That Motul crdi oil is a nice 5w40 a3b4 and should fit your ritz just fine. Or good old shell helix ultra 5w40.
Old 30th January 2021, 23:34   #2147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Mobil 1 ESP is an excellent oil and is definitely c2/c3 compatible.
<snip>
Shell in 0w30, liqui moly molygen 5w30 c2/c3 or cheaper there is Idemitsu 5w30 a5/b5/c2 which is also a decent oil.
After putting in Mobil1 ESP and driving about 400 odd km, here are my observations:

- Engine has become noisier. You can clearly hear the engine at idle (like at signals) or when you are driving at low speed. This was not the case before the oil change.

- Car feels very smooth to drive. This could be my perception but I feel it is a bit faster to accelerate. I did some highway stretches touching 120-130 kmph briefly and the car accelerated very quickly and smoothly. Other than the noise, it seems just fine.

Still, given that I like the silent running earlier and am not a fast driver, I will probably look for one of the other options (i.e. not Mobil1 ESP) next time.

Please do note that the next change will be at the 10k km official service and so it will be whatever Hyundai normally uses (I think it is Shell going by the label when you open the bonnet).

Hope this helps others considering Mobil1 ESP for the BS6 Tucson.
Old 16th February 2021, 10:06   #2148
BHPian

Hi All,
Since long I am using Delvac 1 in my Fluidic Verna CRDI. I am fully satisfied with it's performance. I have already done 15k since last oil change, but now unable to find Delvac 1 in any online store. I could find one in local store, but it's too old - 2015 stock.

Can any one inform me, from where can I fetch a 5 lit jar of Delvac 1.

Any alternate suggestion in synthetic category? I could not find any matching to the required specifications.

Is 2015 stoch OK, as lubricants supposedly has no expiry date?

Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 10:47   #2149
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadraticAmoeba View Post
After putting in Mobil1 ESP and driving about 400 odd km, here are my observations:

- Engine has become noisier. You can clearly hear the engine at idle (like at signals) or when you are driving at low speed. This was not the case before the oil change.
Maybe the oil is too thin for your engine.

Mobil 1 ESP as far as I could see is API CF, most diesel engines used in India uses API CH4 or above. But its hard to generalize these things, best to use the correct oil for the engine - from the dealership of course.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 11:28   #2150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
Hi All,
Since long I am using Delvac 1 in my Fluidic Verna CRDI. I am fully satisfied with it's performance. I have already done 15k since last oil change, but now unable to find Delvac 1 in any online store. I could find one in local store, but it's too old - 2015 stock.

Can any one inform me, from where can I fetch a 5 lit jar of Delvac 1.

Any alternate suggestion in synthetic category? I could not find any matching to the required specifications.

Is 2015 stoch OK, as lubricants supposedly has no expiry date?

Thanks
Mobil Delvac is Mobil's heavy-duty engine oil range meant for trucks and buses and not passenger cars.

All about diesel engine oils-mobil-3.png

This is Mobil's range of engine oils meant for use in passenger vehicles:

All about diesel engine oils-mobil-1.png

All about diesel engine oils-mobil-2.png

Please refer to your owner's manual to verify the specification of the oil recommended by the concerned manufacturer.

By the way, all the lubricants have a shelf life which is approximately 4 to 5 years unless otherwise specified. All the lubricants are a concoction of different kinds of base oils mixed with a number of additives and performance enhancers. Over time these chemicals break down rendering the lubricant unfit for use.

If you're very keen to use Mobil lubricants in your car, please go to the relevant section of Mobil's website and match the specifications of the lubricant that you want to use with what is mentioned in your vehicle's owner's manual.

https://www.mobil.co.in/en-in/motorist/car

Pictures: Mobil India's website

Last edited by Vikram Arya : 16th February 2021 at 11:29.
Vikram Arya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 12:09   #2151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
Mobil Delvac is Mobil's heavy-duty engine oil range meant for trucks and buses and not passenger cars.
Funnily enough, Hyundai's 2015 and prior diesels ask for CH4 - which is a truck and bus oil.

If yours is that vintage of diesel Verna go ahead and fill Mobil 1 Delvac.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 13:57   #2152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
There is theory, and there is actual experience.

Please go ahead and fill Mobil Delvac MX in your Verna. I had a 2008 Verna which I retained till 2018 and drove 1.5L kms. It required CH4 oil as per manual, and (of all the oils I have used) Mobil Delvac MX always gave me the best experience. CRDI engines generate a lot of soot, and Delvac is designed to have excellent soot-retention properties.
Old 17th February 2021, 14:24   #2153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Maybe the oil is too thin for your engine.

Mobil 1 ESP as far as I could see is API CF, most diesel engines used in India uses API CH4 or above. But its hard to generalize these things, best to use the correct oil for the engine - from the dealership of course.
See, the trouble is, Hyundai recommends it for the 2020 BS6 Tucson. According to his manual, he needs ACEA C2/C3 5W-30. However yes, All New Tucson on Hyundai's website at least says CH4 and above. Not entirely sure if this All New Tucson is the BS6 one or an older model.

https://www.hyundai.com/in/en/connec...les/engine-oil

All New Tucson 1.6 L API CH 4 - SAE 15 W40 7.6 L 284 292

In which case Mobil 1 Delvac 5w40 or Amsoil Turbo Truck 5w40 should also be good in API CI4+ and CK4 respectively.

These new model Hyundais used to ask for ACEA C3 and now the Hyundai spec seems to recommend C5

Grand i10 NIOS 1.2 L OW-20 ACEA C5 4.7 L 355 355
Aura 1.2 OW-20 ACEA C5 4.8L 355 355
ALL NEW CRETA(2020) 1.5 VGT 0W20 ACEA C5 4.8 L 355 355
All New VERNA 1.5 VGT 0W20 ACEA C5 4.8 L 355 355
All New I20 U2 1.5L (WGT) 0W20 ACEA C5 4.8 L 355 355
Old 21st February 2021, 01:03   #2154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
See, the trouble is, Hyundai recommends it for the 2020 BS6 Tucson. According to his manual, he needs ACEA C2/C3 5W-30. However yes, All New Tucson on Hyundai's website at least says CH4 and above. Not entirely sure if this All New Tucson is the BS6 one or an older model.

All New Tucson 1.6 L API CH 4 - SAE 15 W40 7.6 L 284 292

In which case Mobil 1 Delvac 5w40 or Amsoil Turbo Truck 5w40 should also be good in API CI4+ and CK4 respectively.
Thank you for looking into this.

One doubt - the diesel Tucsons in India (both pre-BS6 and the current one) are all 2.0L engine and not 1.6L. I’m not sure what the Hyundai India website is actually referring to - perhaps I’m reading it wrong.

Next oil change for my car is at 10k km (official one), I will try to get more details then on what Hyundai service Center uses.
Old 21st February 2021, 10:07   #2155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadraticAmoeba View Post
Next oil change for my car is at 10k km (official one), I will try to get more details then on what Hyundai service Center uses.
Whatever diesel car is there they will happily pour that Servo branded CRDI oil which is generally 5w30 a3b4. The car should perform fairly OK on that.
Old 23rd February 2021, 12:46   #2156
BHPian

Re: Gurugram: Vehicles displaying caste identities to face action

BTW, I've been reading your posts and meant to ask - between AMSoil signature and their 5W-40, could you tell me if the latter is significantly inferior? I'd think the higher upper range helps with driving to Agra in the summers. Thar CRDe here.

Last edited by moralfibre : 24th February 2021 at 13:41. Reason: Copied to an existing thread.
Old 24th February 2021, 12:52   #2157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooka
BTW, I've been reading your posts and meant to ask - between AMSoil signature and their 5W-40, could you tell me if the latter is significantly inferior? I'd think the higher upper range helps with driving to Agra in the summers. Thar CRDe here.
The spec matters more - thar needs a CH4 or higher oil and 5w40 turbo truck is CK4 which is the newest spec in that series.

There is also a max duty signature series that has ck4 rating - if you want to try such an expensive oil feel free. https://www.amazon.in/AMSOIL-Signatu...dp/B00BUFWE9E/

Last edited by moralfibre : 24th February 2021 at 13:42.
Old 7th March 2021, 12:26   #2158
BHPian

My car Hyundai fluidic Verna 2014 diesel which has run 80000kms underwent last service at a Gomechanic workshop, who used mobil super 15w40 engine oil. It's a CF4/CG4 API grade engine oil. All my previous services were at Hyundai ASS only. My car has run around 5500 kms post last service without any issues.

Now I have learnt that as per Hyundai specs I should have used CH4 engine oil.

What is the suggestion from fellow team BHPians
1. Should I get a repeat service from any other service center and get my engine oil change to appropriate API grade oil ASAP. Gomechanic service centre says, API ratings will not make any difference and have refused to help in this issue.
2. If I change engine oil again. Should I use some engine flush. Last time at Gomechanic did use some engine flush (extra armour).
Old 7th March 2021, 17:25   #2159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsachin View Post
My car Hyundai fluidic Verna 2014 diesel which has run 80000kms underwent last service at a Gomechanic workshop, who used mobil super 15w40 engine oil. It's a CF4/CG4 API grade engine oil. All my previous services were at Hyundai ASS only. My car has run around 5500 kms post last service without any issues.
That is a very old spec. It should be ok (given that it is Mobil) for another couple of thousand km after which upgrade to Mobil Delvac MX, Shell Rimula R3/R4 etc which meet or exceed CH4. If you want synthetic diesel oils try Mobil Delvac 1 or Amsoil Turbo Truck, both in 5w40.
Old 25th March 2021, 20:43   #2160
BHPian

After 6 years of getting my Global Fiesta 1.5 TDCi serviced at authorised service centres, I am now thinking of doing the oil change on my own. Any suggestions on a good oil. Cost of oil is a secondary factor as the car running is right now doing less than 10,000 kms a year.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks